RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Trailer hitch for RX350L

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 06:32 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

RX350L Factory Towing Harness Wiring diagram
Old 07-14-20, 09:42 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Very nice write up. Question? Will Lexus parts now sell you an OEM hitch? Lexus dealers around So Calif will check, or request the VIN, and if no factory tow prep pkg, they will not sell you their hitch. I installed a Curt hitch, and it looks factory from the rear. I only use my hitch for a Thule bike rack, no actual trailer towing. Thank you for the comprehensive write up.
Old 07-15-20, 04:38 AM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Very nice write up. Question? Will Lexus parts now sell you an OEM hitch? Lexus dealers around So Calif will check, or request the VIN, and if no factory tow prep pkg, they will not sell you their hitch. I installed a Curt hitch, and it looks factory from the rear. I only use my hitch for a Thule bike rack, no actual trailer towing. Thank you for the comprehensive write up.
Thanks! Yes, the local dealer did offer to install an OEM hitch. The OEM comes with a new bumper fascia and install with harness and everything was around $1700.00. The OEM does have a great look. i agree with you that the either the CURT or Drawtite #76156(more concealed) are great options and hide the hitch. I have heard reports of the Curt holes potentially not lining up well, did you have any challenges on your end? Thanks!
Old 07-15-20, 09:57 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Yes, I did find that the bolt holes didn’t line up, so I called Curt. Curt said it was checked before leaving their factory and blamed it on E-Trailer. I started troubleshooting and measuring, and noticed that the hitch was not lining up because it was bent inward at the forward end. With the new hitch on the ground, I proceeded to set up a screw jack with wood blocks and carefully spread the arms apart until the center to center hole measurement was exactly the same at front and rear. Here’s a pic showing my jig setup.
Took a little push/pull until the parallel mount arms finally measured exactly the same (measuring center to center across) on each bolt hole position. In the end I’m happy with the fit and look.

The following users liked this post:
KCVA350L (07-17-20)
Old 07-17-20, 12:18 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing! It seems like I have not seen as many concerns about the Draw Tite Hitch with respect to alignment, it would be good to hear some feedback if anyone knows. Have you checked you L by chance to confirm mechanical towing items installed even if your L is listed as not having the towing prep package? Thanks!
Old 07-17-20, 01:46 PM
cmy1991zr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up KCVA350L. One question. Is your transmission cooler visible from top side of engine compartment?
KCVA350L (07-17-20)
Old 07-17-20, 02:51 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmy1991zr1
Great write up KCVA350L. One question. Is your transmission cooler visible from top side of engine compartment?
Thanks! Yes, The Transmission Cooler is visible. Look to the right of the battery with a flashlight, also, you will see it when looking through the front driver side wheel well fins/slits. Please share if you have an L also if you see it, thanks!
Old 07-17-20, 02:52 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KCVA350L
Thanks! Yes, The Transmission Cooler is visible. Look to the right of the battery with a flashlight, also, you will see it when looking through the front driver side wheel well fins/slits. Please share if you have an L also if you see it, thanks!
Let me know if you need a pic...thx
Old 07-17-20, 05:55 PM
cmy1991zr1
Driver School Candidate

OK, thanks. I found it. Mine is a 2020 RX 350L with a March build date. It does not have the trailering package but does have the transmission cooler and same radiator as you indicated yours has. I will order the wiring for the pigtail per your instructions and will install along with a hitch. I don’t really need it now but would like to have it available. Thanks again for the detailed instructions.
KCVA350L (07-18-20)
Old 07-17-20, 06:08 PM
cmy1991zr1
Driver School Candidate

Let me know if you need a pic...thx
So now I’m more curious. I’m wondering if the RX 350 non L vehicles w/o tow prep also have the mechanical components installed (tranny cooler and HD radiator?
Old 07-17-20, 07:27 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Thanks for sharing! It seems like I have not seen as many concerns about the Draw Tite Hitch with respect to alignment, it would be good to hear some feedback if anyone knows. Have you checked you L by chance to confirm mechanical towing items installed even if your L is listed as not having the towing prep package? Thanks!
I’ll check it out this weekend and get back. Oh, btw, the first hitch that I ordered from e-trailer was a drawtite; sent it back because the drawbar was not hidden behind the rear facia. I had to wait about a month until Curt had a finished product. On the tow pkg, I’m thinking that as the 350L goes down the production line, if a bench seat goes in, then it gets the wiring harness. If captains seats go in, then no harness.In the 2019 model like mine, the tow pkg was only a $165 option, and I don’t have it. The last time mine was at the dealer, the service mgr noticed the hitch and liked it; even took the time to crawl under and check fitment. No questions like, “what are you towing”?

Last edited by xxx350L; 07-17-20 at 07:31 PM.
KCVA350L (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 07:33 AM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmy1991zr1
So now I’m more curious. I’m wondering if the RX 350 non L vehicles w/o tow prep also have the mechanical components installed (tranny cooler and HD radiator?
Hello, yes, that is my suspicion. For ALL of the 350L vehicles, they possibly come equipped with the "mechanical" parts for the towing prep (i., HD Alternator, radiator, cooler, etc.) If you have a 350L with captain chairs and order the towing prep, you get the 2 additional parts I described, the towing relay converter and the pigtail part #17 vs #16. At least this appears to be what I have stumbled on, it would be great to validate amongst our community. I hope this helps, thanks!

Last edited by KCVA350L; 07-18-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 07:42 AM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxx350L
I’ll check it out this weekend and get back. Oh, btw, the first hitch that I ordered from e-trailer was a drawtite; sent it back because the drawbar was not hidden behind the rear facia. I had to wait about a month until Curt had a finished product. On the tow pkg, I’m thinking that as the 350L goes down the production line, if a bench seat goes in, then it gets the wiring harness. If captains seats go in, then no harness.In the 2019 model like mine, the tow pkg was only a $165 option, and I don’t have it. The last time mine was at the dealer, the service mgr noticed the hitch and liked it; even took the time to crawl under and check fitment. No questions like, “what are you towing”?
Thanks for sharing! I noted Drawtite has two possible towing hitches recommended for the vehicle.So, I was pencilling in Part #76156 as it does appear to be much more subdued and I don't see as many comments about alignment challenges. Here is an install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhm5XEHr4bM&t=401s This appearance seems concealed and good to me and I noticed one does have to trim a few pieces to sustain the streamlined look. The one drawback of the concealed hitch #76156 vs #75986 is that I don't think it can accommodate weight distribution which might be an issue for me...I would like the the option to tow an ultralight Travel Trailer on occasion...and then the next step would be to wire in a brake controller..ahhh.. They do have wireless ones available after converting the 4 pin to a 7 pin...more wiring again but not that bad. Granted, understandably so, the RX350 was designed to be an ideal Tow Vehicle to begin with anyhow..

Did you have the drawlite #76165 or #75986?

Re your comment:

"On the tow pkg, I’m thinking that as the 350L goes down the production line, if a bench seat goes in, then it gets the wiring harness." perhaps did you mean : "On the tow pkg, I’m thinking that as the 350L goes down the production line, if a CAPTAIN seat goes in, then it gets the wiring harness.".. That would make more sense given one can not order or build a 350L with bench seats and two prep. If we could find owners without the captain chairs that did not have the tow prep, if the harness is still there, we would also know if it wiring was there also!.

Thanks again, this information extremely helpful!!

Last edited by KCVA350L; 07-18-20 at 07:54 AM.
xxx350L (07-18-20)
Old 12-25-20, 10:01 AM
motoman49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been going round and round relative to my 2018 RX360L trailer hitch wiring. I installed an etrailer Kurt hitch with no issues. I have the rear bench seat style interior. I located the multiple pin connector in the rear drivers side. Of course the relay assembly is missing. This is the first information that describes the issues with the hitch wiring, no factory hitch wiring connector. I have ordered the part PT219-48101-TC. Hopefully i can get the harness setup because i would like to be able to do some light towing. Thanks for your detailed information.
Old 12-26-20, 01:44 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 572 Likes on 405 Posts

I'm not sure how the afternoon hitches have the same tongue load capacity as OEM. The OEM hitch uses over 10 bolts, both from bottom and sides of the frame to attach the hitch to the cars body.

To me that looks significantly more secure to take the tongue load than the after market hitches. Just my opinion..

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch for RX350L