RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350L good purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 11:01 AM
QTRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350L good purchase?

Hi CL members!
Now that the RX 350L has been out for awhile, can any current owners give a little insight on the car and if you would recommend purchasing it to potential buyers?
Please answer the following questions.
1) What do you like (or dislike) about the car?
2) Reasons why you originally purchased it over another 7 seater SUV?
3) Has the 3rd row seating been an issue for your family?

Reason why I ask is that I'm currently looking into buying the RX 350L myself but haven't fully decided yet. My other choice is the MDX but I prefer the look of the RXL. I'm a 5'4" asian female and this would be a family car for a young family. We're expecting to use the 2nd row for carseats mainly and this would be my commuter car to work as well. I don't expect much use of the 3rd row aside from occasional short trips with the in-law parents in the back row. I tried getting into the 3rd row myself and it was a tight squeeze but doable for someone my size as an adult. I'm looking to buy the 2018 model but am also willing to wait if a 2019 model has better updates like Apply Carplay and a bit more legroom. Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Old 07-31-18, 03:18 PM
JamieComer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a fan. Well let me clarify, I love ALMOST everything about the car except driving it! Why do they have to do 8 speeds, so not necessary and makes the car shimmy, jerky and not the luxury ride I was looking for. Dealing with Lexus hasn't been fun either. There is another string on here just about people complaining about the constant and jerky shifting. I had a 10 year old Tahoe and wanted to downsize and up-luxury, but honestly I feel I missed that boat. My Tahoe drove better than this thing, of course it had the normal amount of speeds not 8 or now soon to be 10 (ick). There are silly things my Tahoe did that this car doesn't do but should and it bugs me. For example, there is no scan through the XM stations, only to pre-sets. I don't want to pre-set channel 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 for example, so in the other car there was a button on the steering wheel that I could have 8 & 12 pre-set and scroll between them if I wanted. Also the heated and cooled seats, kinda a joke, but aside from that they stay on when you turn the car off and back on, they are in whatever mode you left it in. So if I drive to work in the cold, and by the time I leave it's warmer, I don't want the heated seats to still be on and I have to push the button 3 times to get them off! I have had a Honda, Acura, Nissan, Ford and Chevy, all of them reset the seat heater/coolers when the car is shut down. So silly simple things my 10 year old basic car did that this one doesn't. I thought I would be a Lexus lifer, but I think this will be one and done.
Old 07-31-18, 05:37 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that we have 11k miles on our 350 FWD, I can tell you the ride on the freeway is very comfortable and quiet.
Three major issues make me hesitate to recommend to everyone:

1. vibration/drone at takeoff. When you test drive at dealer, please find a fairly steep incline, come to a full stop, then start climbing. Make sure you don't have the vibration.
2. infotainment control and user interface sucks. We almost don't use the Nav and other functions, just because it's so distracting while driving.
3. overall gas mileage of 18 MPG which includes lots of freeway use. And our car is a FWD and not loaded with lots of passengers.
The following users liked this post:
QTRx (08-06-18)
Old 07-31-18, 06:18 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieComer
I am not a fan. Well let me clarify, I love ALMOST everything about the car except driving it! Why do they have to do 8 speeds, so not necessary and makes the car shimmy, jerky and not the luxury ride I was looking for. Dealing with Lexus hasn't been fun either. There is another string on here just about people complaining about the constant and jerky shifting. I had a 10 year old Tahoe and wanted to downsize and up-luxury, but honestly I feel I missed that boat. My Tahoe drove better than this thing, of course it had the normal amount of speeds not 8 or now soon to be 10 (ick). There are silly things my Tahoe did that this car doesn't do but should and it bugs me. For example, there is no scan through the XM stations, only to pre-sets. I don't want to pre-set channel 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 for example, so in the other car there was a button on the steering wheel that I could have 8 & 12 pre-set and scroll between them if I wanted. Also the heated and cooled seats, kinda a joke, but aside from that they stay on when you turn the car off and back on, they are in whatever mode you left it in. So if I drive to work in the cold, and by the time I leave it's warmer, I don't want the heated seats to still be on and I have to push the button 3 times to get them off! I have had a Honda, Acura, Nissan, Ford and Chevy, all of them reset the seat heater/coolers when the car is shut down. So silly simple things my 10 year old basic car did that this one doesn't. I thought I would be a Lexus lifer, but I think this will be one and done.
Are you sure you own an L?? It sounds like you are advising her not to buy a Lexus, and if that's how you feel that's perfectly ok, however it does not appear to answer the OP's questions.

Last edited by Nail34; 07-31-18 at 10:09 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-01-18, 01:15 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieComer
by the time I leave it's warmer, I don't want the heated seats to still be on and I have to push the button 3 times to get them off!
My RX knows when it's warmer later in the day and doesn't turn the heaters on, I think there's an "Auto" switch next to the Heated Seats switch.
Old 08-01-18, 12:44 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
My RX knows when it's warmer later in the day and doesn't turn the heaters on, I think there's an "Auto" switch next to the Heated Seats switch.
Auto setting for both heated and cooled seats.
Old 08-01-18, 05:06 PM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am an owner of RX350L premium. 2 months since I brought it.

The reason I considered RX350L AWD when compared with other 7 seaters:
1. I don't use all 7 seats all the time. That's why I did not opt for a full size 7 seater. I am getting cargo space when compared with RX350s. If you are planning to use 7 seats full time, then I will not recommend this vehicle for long drives.
2. I considered these vehicles - BMW X5, Lexus RX350L, MDX, and Volvo XC90. For me, Lexus RX350L seemed more value for money due to resale value, less maintenance, and pocket-friendly.
3. And also the base version has all safety features.
4. Drives very good, very solid vehicle, the interior is very nice when compared to MDX although same as other RX350s.
5. Looks are personal but I think I am liking it more now.

Cons, this is not a performance vehicle. It takes time to reach 3 digits although changing to Sports option helps a bit. Doesn't have apple car play but I have 12inch navigation option which is very good.

In short, it's a good vehicle to consider and a good family all-rounder.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnySack (09-09-22)
Old 08-06-18, 10:26 AM
QTRx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nextcar
Now that we have 11k miles on our 350 FWD, I can tell you the ride on the freeway is very comfortable and quiet.
Three major issues make me hesitate to recommend to everyone:

1. vibration/drone at takeoff. When you test drive at dealer, please find a fairly steep incline, come to a full stop, then start climbing. Make sure you don't have the vibration.
2. infotainment control and user interface sucks. We almost don't use the Nav and other functions, just because it's so distracting while driving.
3. overall gas mileage of 18 MPG which includes lots of freeway use. And our car is a FWD and not loaded with lots of passengers.
Thanks for the info! Will be checking on the vibration issue when we test drive our car and take your other points into consideration!
Old 08-06-18, 10:29 AM
QTRx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sejijohn
I am an owner of RX350L premium. 2 months since I brought it.

The reason I considered RX350L AWD when compared with other 7 seaters:
1. I don't use all 7 seats all the time. That's why I did not opt for a full size 7 seater. I am getting cargo space when compared with RX350s. If you are planning to use 7 seats full time, then I will not recommend this vehicle for long drives.
2. I considered these vehicles - BMW X5, Lexus RX350L, MDX, and Volvo XC90. For me, Lexus RX350L seemed more value for money due to resale value, less maintenance, and pocket-friendly.
3. And also the base version has all safety features.
4. Drives very good, very solid vehicle, the interior is very nice when compared to MDX although same as other RX350s.
5. Looks are personal but I think I am liking it more now.

Cons, this is not a performance vehicle. It takes time to reach 3 digits although changing to Sports option helps a bit. Doesn't have apple car play but I have 12inch navigation option which is very good.

In short, it's a good vehicle to consider and a good family all-rounder.
Thanks for the info! I really agree with everything you said and those are some of the exact reasons why we're considering getting the RXL over the other luxury SUV brands. I think we're pretty much set on getting the RXL now but just debating if we should wait for 2019 version to come out and see if there's any updates worth getting over the 2018 version.
Old 08-06-18, 05:41 PM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QTRx
Thanks for the info! I really agree with everything you said and those are some of the exact reasons why we're considering getting the RXL over the other luxury SUV brands. I think we're pretty much set on getting the RXL now but just debating if we should wait for 2019 version to come out and see if there's any updates worth getting over the 2018 version.
RXL is a new vehicle. Maybe you will have to wait till 2019 first quarter to get an update on 2019 models.
Old 08-11-18, 02:35 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had the 350L for about 5 months now and it is superb. I bought the L for the additional trunk space. I'm able to put some items in the trunk that on my 10 RX 350 had to go in diagonally.
The third row seating will likely be never deployed.

Why did I buy it? The very short summary is reliability.
This is my third RX in 19 years, and my biggest maintenance issues have been burned out brake lights (once) and a burned out bulb in the dash that shows that the car is in "D".

If it doesn't break, it doesn't cost to fix it.

Of course there has been routine maintenance of brakes and such, but no on road failures.