RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Stupid car wash!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 09:41 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always take my time to wash by my self. Better results and no scratches.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (07-17-20)
Old 08-08-18, 10:36 AM
Soyabean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
And other cars' dirt!

Touchless is better, but since I read in the manual that there are sensitive parts to pressure (like the side lights beside the fog lights), I am hand washing since day one that I own my RX! I am not even using my pressure washer on it.

And the paint still looks new!
Swirls are created from improper wash/drying techniques. If you do it properly, you wont have those swirls. You can add more protection by adding a sealant and wax so your actual clear coat doesnt get the scratches

Originally Posted by tommytqt
Well. This is just me and what i think. I own a Lexus NX Fsport before. Hand washed it every time. Sometimes took me from 3-4 hours to finish "spraying" and cleaning stuff on the car. When i traded in for the RX. The dealer didn't even care to look at my car. They asked for the registration only. It's true going thru the car wash may scratch your car or like the owner up here. However, it saves me at least 3 hours from the manual wash. Over the time, i stop caring so much about small scratches here and there. Because at the end no one cares about how good you take care of it.
Just my thoughts....
It's valid but it depends on how much you enjoy taking care of your car. People say touchless is good but i can tell you touchless is BETTER than cloth washes but they arent that good either. Prior to winter 2017, I did a proper polish and wax on my car. In the spring, i saw parallel horizontal fine lines across my car. It was actually from the pressure of these "touchless" car washes. The only way to have to clean as good as a "touch" car wash where you have something scrubbing the dirt off is to increase the pressure. Usually overtime it will cut through your wax and eventually on your clear coat.

I dont disagree that the dealer doesn't care about your NX because they are just happy you traded in for a more expensive car which is business for them at the end of the day. But I personally take great pride in my car's paint and how I maintain it. Also makes me feel good driving it knowing my paintwork is great. But i understand some people treat a car as a car so it's from one person to the other
The following 2 users liked this post by Soyabean:
coolbrazz (07-17-20), SlavK (02-19-24)
Old 08-17-18, 11:23 PM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Never take a nice car through one of those car washes with the spinning brushes. They scratch the hell out of your paint. They also scratch the plastic parts including the headlights. Even the ones with waving cloth covered wipers will scratch. The sand they pick up from the last hundred cars that went through just acts like sandpaper on your car. Hand wash only if you value your finish. You can do it yourself or have it done. No machines!
coolbrazz (07-17-20)
Old 08-21-18, 01:00 PM
SugarmillM
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've only had my RX for two weeks but am already wary of automatic washes.
Over the past weekend, I took my Lexus RX to one of those touchless washes where you spray by hand with a wand. I was horrified when I sprayed the door handles and my automatic mirrors folded themselves from the force of the spray activating them. I can only imagine going to a regular car wash and having the side sprayers activate my side mirrors causing them to close mid-wash.
Only hand washing for me, I'm afraid.
Old 08-21-18, 07:37 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SugarmillM
I've only had my RX for two weeks but am already wary of automatic washes.
Over the past weekend, I took my Lexus RX to one of those touchless washes where you spray by hand with a wand. I was horrified when I sprayed the door handles and my automatic mirrors folded themselves from the force of the spray activating them. I can only imagine going to a regular car wash and having the side sprayers activate my side mirrors causing them to close mid-wash.
Only hand washing for me, I'm afraid.
If I use a pressure washer, I need to leave my key inside of the house or the car will be locking and unlocking. Apparently the water causes changes in capacitance when I spray the doors and activates the switch.
SlavK (02-19-24)
Old 08-22-18, 05:51 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi

If I use a pressure washer, I need to leave my key inside of the house or the car will be locking and unlocking. Apparently the water causes changes in capacitance when I spray the doors and activates the switch.
Have you tried leaving the key in the car instead of in your pocket? I would imagine that the switches should not activate in this case. Of course, you should have a spare key somewhere in the house in case it locks and refuses to unlock again.
Old 08-22-18, 06:23 AM
SugarmillM
Driver

I would be interested in hearing from any RX owners concerning this automatic mirror closing issue when using a commercial car wash. (Surely, some must be brave enough to use a commercial wash) I welcome your advice here.
Old 08-22-18, 06:13 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Doors won't lock with key inside car.
Old 08-22-18, 06:35 PM
alir1983
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way, how in the world is this even possible? Never seen this happen before. I'm sure they will pay for it.
Old 08-23-18, 05:11 AM
PaiMei
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dissable the folding mirrors before you wash...

For hand washing and automatic washes, you can disable the folding mirrors by deactivating/pushing the "auto" button on the driver's side door panel?
Old 08-23-18, 05:16 AM
SugarmillM
Driver

Originally Posted by PaiMei
For hand washing and automatic washes, you can disable the folding mirrors by deactivating/pushing the "auto" button on the driver's side door panel?
Thank You!! I will look for that control and see how it works. (By the way, I used to live and work in the "Free State". I sure don't miss the cold anymore.)
Old 09-07-18, 06:03 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

WOW, that stinks... sorry for your loss. I go out of my way to find a brushless car wash. Does not do as good but, it does a cleaning and I feel safe.
Old 09-08-18, 07:23 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never had any issues with the mirror folding or power rear at hand car washes. Only issue with automatic washes is to remember to turn off auto wipers.
Old 09-13-18, 02:02 PM
guan01
Rookie

Sorry to see that. Good to know and I will avoid automatic car wash. I always think that can scratch my car because they never clean those brush and clothes from other cars wash.
I been doing hand wash and hand dry for almost a year now.
Old 07-16-20, 05:07 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

That sucks .... this is why I always go for touchless carwash specially that I have the panoramic view monitor.
coolbrazz (07-17-20)

Quick Reply: Stupid car wash!!!!!