RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Stupid car wash!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 05:05 AM
makaRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stupid car wash!!!!!

Wel, today I was running my 4RX through a wash before I get it dropped off to get some wrap work done.
Paid for a wash, entered and folded the mirrors like I was advised to do by the wash. As I was sitting there, I thought to myself “Man, I hope this thing doesn’t rip my....” BOOOM!

There goes my driver side mirror. So pissed right now!!!
Old 08-03-18, 05:36 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never folded the mirrors going through the car wash and no one as every told me too?? I do try to remember to shut off the rain sensing wipers
Old 08-03-18, 06:25 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Dang, that sucks. Sorry to hear what happened. I am never a fan of car wash, always for the fear of getting my paint scratch up. I've always hand washed for my cars in the last 20 years or so.
Good luck.
Old 08-03-18, 06:26 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 494 Likes on 372 Posts

Not sure I understand what ripped off the mirror and what difference did it make having it folded? Otherwise, if you followed their instructions, then I'd say they should be responsible, no?
The following users liked this post:
msnow (02-20-24)
Old 08-03-18, 06:31 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully they repair it for you.

Just for future reference and I'm sure you'll never do it anymore.. Never take your car to an automatic car wash. Even at the dealer.

Esp. with dark colored cars if you put your car in the sun at an angle you will see tons of swirl marks. It uses the dirt on your car to scratch your paint even more. So stay away. Also, there is a chance something breaks haha

If you can't wash it at home with the 2 bucket method, go for a touchless car wash.
The following 3 users liked this post by aznkorboi:
KennyFSU (02-20-24), mikemu30 (08-03-18), websurfer (07-16-20)
Old 08-03-18, 06:47 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

In our neck of the wood most car washes are touchless type. Still some old ones where I never go. Slapping car with whirling brush does no good for the car. Old wash method wastes too much water as well.
Old 08-03-18, 06:51 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
It uses the dirt on your car to scratch your paint even more.
And other cars' dirt!

Touchless is better, but since I read in the manual that there are sensitive parts to pressure (like the side lights beside the fog lights), I am hand washing since day one that I own my RX! I am not even using my pressure washer on it.

And the paint still looks new!
Old 08-03-18, 10:23 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well. This is just me and what i think. I own a Lexus NX Fsport before. Hand washed it every time. Sometimes took me from 3-4 hours to finish "spraying" and cleaning stuff on the car. When i traded in for the RX. The dealer didn't even care to look at my car. They asked for the registration only. It's true going thru the car wash may scratch your car or like the owner up here. However, it saves me at least 3 hours from the manual wash. Over the time, i stop caring so much about small scratches here and there. Because at the end no one cares about how good you take care of it.
Just my thoughts....
The following 3 users liked this post by tommytqt:
CharmCtyIS (08-04-18), dannnn (07-16-20), Oldfart (08-03-18)
Old 08-03-18, 05:37 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Something is weird here. The mirror will fold in both directions and I don't imagine every car that goes thru that car wash has their mirror broken. Whether or not the mirror is folded or not, the car wash is still responsible. I don't think they can say it was like that before it went into the wash.
Old 08-03-18, 08:11 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Something is weird here. The mirror will fold in both directions and I don't imagine every car that goes thru that car wash has their mirror broken. Whether or not the mirror is folded or not, the car wash is still responsible. I don't think they can say it was like that before it went into the wash.
One strand of the whirl brush probably got caught in the joint we’re the mirror pivots and yanked it out. I had a car wash yanked out my rear wiper with a strand getting caught in the wiper.
The following users liked this post:
SlavK (02-19-24)
Old 08-03-18, 09:12 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi

One strand of the whirl brush probably got caught in the joint we’re the mirror pivots and yanked it out. I had a car wash yanked out my rear wiper with a strand getting caught in the wiper.
Maybe whirling brush and mirror got tangled up? In this case folded or not it won't make a difference, IMO. I think something si wrong with the car wash? I never fold mirros when I I wash cars.
mirror needs washing too. But then I mostly go to a touchless car wash. The owner of wash should pay for the damage. Specially almost brand new car here. It sucks!

Old 08-04-18, 07:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by tommytqt
Well. This is just me and what i think. I own a Lexus NX Fsport before. Hand washed it every time. Sometimes took me from 3-4 hours to finish "spraying" and cleaning stuff on the car. When i traded in for the RX. The dealer didn't even care to look at my car. They asked for the registration only. It's true going thru the car wash may scratch your car or like the owner up here. However, it saves me at least 3 hours from the manual wash. Over the time, i stop caring so much about small scratches here and there. Because at the end no one cares about how good you take care of it.
Just my thoughts....
True it's only for yourself. The trade in has zero care unless there's actual damage.
Old 08-04-18, 11:10 AM
makaRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Maybe whirling brush and mirror got tangled up? In this case folded or not it won't make a difference, IMO. I think something si wrong with the car wash? I never fold mirros when I I wash cars.
mirror needs washing too. But then I mostly go to a touchless car wash. The owner of wash should pay for the damage. Specially almost brand new car here. It sucks!
So, aside from the spinning brushes, there’s also other fabric that hangs and drags along the car to get the extra stuff off the spinning brushes didn’t get, like bugs, dirt and apparently mirrors. Lol.

On a good note, the owner of the wash contacted me a few hours later and was very nice and took complete responsibility and didn’t hesitate to order a mirror and take care of the little scratches it made when it busted and dangled around as I drive out in a hurry.

He did have cameras, but he was willing before even viewing them. But I’m sure he quickly went to view them when I sent him a quote direct from Lexus when he saw the $900+ quote for a mirror. Lol.

The lesson to be learned here... “never take your car to a carwash”
i do agree with a lot of you all with the swirls.

Old 08-06-18, 05:34 AM
itzlikedat
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got ceramic coating done in my car. Very easy to hand wash and maintain. Take only 20 minutes for hand wash.The car looks great too.
Old 08-06-18, 09:53 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Touchless car wash is the only way to go for a car wash, nowadays. Them spinning brushes not only breaks antennae and side mirrors but also scratches your paint.

Quick Reply: Stupid car wash!!!!!