RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Should I buy out my lease (Merged Threads)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 07:20 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jglipman
Florida requires you do transaction thru the dealer.
Are you absolutely sure?
This is contract law and if so it must be so specified in the lease agreement.
Old 03-25-22, 09:32 AM
RetireeZ
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lease Return Costs - Need some HELP

After having purchased several Lexus vehicles, I decided to lease my 2019 RX. The time has come to terminate the lease and it would be my preference to move into a new vehicle, either the NX or wait for the new RX at the end of this year. We all know the supply of the NX is limited so I plan to buy out my lease but was flabbergasted by the offer from my selling dealer.

They are charging a $295 vehicle inspection fee and a $995 Dealer Fee plus taxes. I have spoken with my long term dealer that I moved away from plus a competing local dealer and neither mentioned any kind of Inspection Fee. They both said that since I paid the $995 Dealer Fee when I leased that I should be able to negotiate that fee away.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions? I have to act by April 13 of be in default and risk repossession. Thanks.
Old 03-25-22, 10:19 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

It is amazing the "bs" fees that the car dealers can dream up to try to rip off their customers. I would cause them enough grief and irritation that they might waive them just to get rid of you.

The good news is that I have known people that have bought out their leases recently and then turned around and sold the car on the current used market and made several thousand dollars. The used car market is crazy right now and unlike anything in history. Of course, that would leave you without a vehicle but it is worth considering. I am surprised that the dealer isn't doing everything possible to get that car back asap.
Old 03-25-22, 10:29 AM
RetireeZ
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jrobe
It is amazing the "bs" fees that the car dealers can dream up to try to rip off their customers. I would cause them enough grief and irritation that they might waive them just to get rid of you.

The good news is that I have known people that have bought out their leases recently and then turned around and sold the car on the current used market and made several thousand dollars. The used car market is crazy right now and unlike anything in history. Of course, that would leave you without a vehicle but it is worth considering. I am surprised that the dealer isn't doing everything possible to get that car back asap.
Even the dealer recognizes the value in my car. Just 32k miles (thanks COVID) and garage kept. Trade offer was $40k which is low based on my research. But absolutely no cooperation on any deals. I contacted Lexus Financial to see if there was an alternate dealer and they referred me to the Loyalty Advocate at the dealer - who happens to be the General Sales Manager. No response in 2 weeks to calls and emails.
Old 03-25-22, 01:59 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by RetireeZ
Even the dealer recognizes the value in my car. Just 32k miles (thanks COVID) and garage kept. Trade offer was $40k which is low based on my research. But absolutely no cooperation on any deals. I contacted Lexus Financial to see if there was an alternate dealer and they referred me to the Loyalty Advocate at the dealer - who happens to be the General Sales Manager. No response in 2 weeks to calls and emails.
1st off the dealer doesn't own the car, Lexus financial does.
2. The dealer gets paid for processing the paper and since you are buying the vehicle there is NO inspection fee as you buy it as is. This paper processing fee may differ from dealer to dealer.
3. This can be done by ANY dealer, so if you find dealer that can do it for less $$$ go there.
Old 03-25-22, 03:11 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

After having purchased several Lexus vehicles, I decided to lease my 2019 RX. The time has come to terminate the lease and it would be my preference to move into a new vehicle, either the NX or wait for the new RX at the end of this year. We all know the supply of the NX is limited so I plan to buy out my lease but was flabbergasted by the offer from my selling dealer.

They are charging a $295 vehicle inspection fee and a $995 Dealer Fee plus taxes. I have spoken with my long term dealer that I moved away from plus a competing local dealer and neither mentioned any kind of Inspection Fee. They both said that since I paid the $995 Dealer Fee when I leased that I should be able to negotiate that fee away.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions? I have to act by April 13 of be in default and risk repossession. Thanks.
Just bought my leased car directly from Lexus. I bought it directly as I feared the fees you ran into. There were no fees other than sales tax! The buyout in the lease was far lower than market value. Call Lexus directly and find out what your options are and complain about the fees the dealer is asking. Maybe Lexus will give you an option to return the car directly. Another option would be to go to CARMAX.. They may buy it for more than the buyout amount in your lease agreement and handle all the paperwork. I can't believe that dealer would risk losing your car with the current shortage of used cars!
Old 03-25-22, 03:31 PM
777rx400h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Leasing is a way to LEASH you to the dealership and manufacturer, Hidden fee this,... hidden fee that. Unless you can write it off as a business expense you're always in their grasp. YMMV. MY .02
The following 4 users liked this post by 777rx400h:
Buck6197 (03-25-22), happychris (03-25-22), Lexspeed (03-26-22), TechNut (03-26-22)
Old 03-25-22, 07:12 PM
RetireeZ
10th Gear

Default Buy out in Florida

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Just bought my leased car directly from Lexus. I bought it directly as I feared the fees you ran into. There were no fees other than sales tax! The buyout in the lease was far lower than market value. Call Lexus directly and find out what your options are and complain about the fees the dealer is asking. Maybe Lexus will give you an option to return the car directly. Another option would be to go to CARMAX.. They may buy it for more than the buyout amount in your lease agreement and handle all the paperwork. I can't believe that dealer would risk losing your car with the current shortage of used cars!
Lexus Financial (LFS) told me I had to go through an authorized dealer in Florida and pushed me back toward my selling dealer even though I asked for an alternative place to conduct my transaction.
Old 03-25-22, 07:22 PM
Aegean
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

As other people mentioned already returning a leased car is a big NO this year. You can lose between $8,000 and 14,000. Go to Carvana or carmax and get an offer. Then compare the offer with your lease buyout option. That’s the fast way to sell the car the same day you buy it. Other option is to sell it yourself and make $5000 more but it is too much hassle for an expensive car like this.

Bottom line if you care about a $295 inspection fee you should care way more to leave $10,000 on the table!
Old 03-25-22, 07:29 PM
RetireeZ
10th Gear

Aegean - Thanks for your replly but I am trying to buy out my lease and keep the $10K value above my Residual amount in my possession to enable me to make a replacement purchase when the supply of vehicles increases. - as I said in the original post.

Last edited by RetireeZ; 03-25-22 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Soften and clarify my response
Old 03-25-22, 08:05 PM
Aegean
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Aegean - Thanks for your replly but I am trying to buy out my lease and keep the $10K value above my Residual amount in my possession to enable me to make a replacement purchase when the supply of vehicles increases. - as I said in the original post.
Yes I missed that. Actually, I was confused why the dealer would need to inspect a car that you have in your possession and you would buy it. I would expect that sending a check to the lease company would be enough without having to inspect the car. If I understand it correctly probably the bank or whoever gives the loan would need an inspection report not the original lease company.
Old 03-25-22, 08:23 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Press Lexus financial again. That lease contract is between you and Lexus Financial. Tell them your keeping the car until they send you an invoice for it. If they still say no, send a certified letter telling them you intend to keep the car and please send the payoff amount per contract and where to send it.
The following users liked this post:
RetireeZ (03-26-22)
Old 03-25-22, 09:31 PM
happychris
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

another reason I do not lease. too much trouble..
The following users liked this post:
RetireeZ (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22, 03:59 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

After having purchased several Lexus vehicles, I decided to lease my 2019 RX. ....
Anyone have any experience or suggestions? .
Based on your complicated leasing ordeal, I'd suggest that you don't lease a vehicle again.

On a more serious note, I wish I could offer some helpful suggestions, but I have no such 'lease contract' experience. I always purchased my new vehicles. Based on your story, it would appear that one must carefully determine an exit strategy prior to entering such a lease if one is to maximize the value of your investment.

Old 03-26-22, 04:25 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I guess the first question I would ask is what does your contract say? Pretty much every scenario is laid out in them.

Then I would go to the Lexus financial website and see what’s posted there. I found this concerning buying your vehicle:

[size=13px]How do I purchase my current vehicle?First, excellent decision. Next, get a payoff quote by logging into your [/size]LFS Online Account[size=13px] or contacting LFS at [/size]1-800-286-0653[size=13px]. If you need financing, you can head straight to your dealer for help.[/size]

Quick Reply: Should I buy out my lease (Merged Threads)?