RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Should I buy out my lease (Merged Threads)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 07:55 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If you are at the end of lease do the following:

1) Check if your over the lease limit in mileage
2) Calc your wear and tear on the vehicle that you might need to do before handing it back
3) Check your residual and current Market value only to ensure you dont have positive equity in it
4) Then check with lexus dealers for any time of spring forward deals. Usually as everyone said the bonus comes in early termination of the lease. Discounts on the vehicle depend on the vehicle itself. If its in demand whatever the going rate is for that model expect that.
5) Loyalty bonuses are usually less then conquest bonuses, but again research it to see what they offer.
6) Best time to get into a new lease is at then end of a quarter or end of year since theyre going to throw as much money at customers for a new sales figure.

currently I havent seen anything besides the standard promotional rebates and the $399 month lease special on the RX
Very good points - these are some the same things I've learned too while leasing many vehicles. Looks like our current IS wont have equity at lease end and we will probably spring for an RX this time. Good discounts on Lexus vehicles are not too hard to get here in CA, so basically we're just biding our time for the money factor to come down and for a possible offer to end the lease early - we also usually get a $1k incentive certificate a few months before lease end - this will be our 5th Lexus.
Old 08-27-18, 08:20 PM
alir1983
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy out my lease (Merged Threads)?

Hi,

I am contemplating about moving forward to buying my lease out. The reason being that I'll be over by 10k in mileage by end of lease term and its .25 cents a mile. My current payoff amount is $45k after having made 18 payments equaling 14k. My residual price is $31k and I have 18 payments remaining.

To get a finance amount. I've added 31K + 18 payments (remaining) + title + fees + registration to be about $2k. Everything to be equal to about $48k - the 7k down payment = 41k. For 60 months that will be about $683 per month.

I also spoke to a dealer today who tried to get me into buying another new car and will eat up some of the payments as part of pull back. He said he would not recommend I buy the lease and suggested I get into a new one for that much amount.

Let me know what you experts think.

Last edited by alir1983; 08-27-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 11:12 PM
Neckbeard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a recognized expert but I think I can help. What is the difference between your current lease payment and the projected finance payment? If that difference, times the 18 remaining payments, is > $500 then it doesn't make sense to buy it out early given the additional $2k in fees. Remember, you can always buy out the lease at the end of the term for the contracted residual value, regardless of mileage. Then you won't be stuck with the $2,500 additional mileage charge when you turn in the lease.
Old 08-28-18, 05:24 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckbeard
IRemember, you can always buy out the lease at the end of the term for the contracted residual value, regardless of mileage. Then you won't be stuck with the $2,500 additional mileage charge when you turn in the lease.
If you are going to go over the allotted mileage for the lease, the option that is likely to make the most sense is going to be to buy the car at the end of the lease.

If the residual value of the vehicle, according to the lease terms, is $31,000 and if you are 10,000 miles over what is allowed by the lease terms, the actual value of that vehicle at the end of the lease will be, because of the extra 10,000 miles, around $30,000. So, if you buy the car for $31,000, you will be paying about $1000 more than the car is actually worth, but that is still $1500 less than the $2500 mileage overage charge that you would be paying if you turn the vehicle in at the end of the lease.

In general, your net additional cost of buying a car with excess miles at the end of a lease is going to be about 40% of the cost of turning in the car and paying the excess mileage charge.
Old 08-28-18, 08:15 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have leased 9 Rx's. Although I have never been over on mileage, my gut reaction is to wait to the end of the term and see what magic a dealer can work on a new lease rolling all fees into the lease. If you are not happy with what they are offering you can always execute the buyout.
Old 08-28-18, 12:14 PM
alir1983
Driver

Thank you. I did not know that they re evaluate the residual value at the end of the lease.

Originally Posted by lesz
If you are going to go over the allotted mileage for the lease, the option that is likely to make the most sense is going to be to buy the car at the end of the lease.

If the residual value of the vehicle, according to the lease terms, is $31,000 and if you are 10,000 miles over what is allowed by the lease terms, the actual value of that vehicle at the end of the lease will be, because of the extra 10,000 miles, around $30,000. So, if you buy the car for $31,000, you will be paying about $1000 more than the car is actually worth, but that is still $1500 less than the $2500 mileage overage charge that you would be paying if you turn the vehicle in at the end of the lease.

In general, your net additional cost of buying a car with excess miles at the end of a lease is going to be about 40% of the cost of turning in the car and paying the excess mileage charge.
Old 08-28-18, 12:15 PM
alir1983
Driver

Dealer was offering to waive some of the remaining payments if I buy into a new car. Not sure what that is about but I asked him to write that up for me.

Originally Posted by Marqevans
I have leased 9 Rx's. Although I have never been over on mileage, my gut reaction is to wait to the end of the term and see what magic a dealer can work on a new lease rolling all fees into the lease. If you are not happy with what they are offering you can always execute the buyout.
Old 08-28-18, 12:16 PM
alir1983
Driver

Thank you. I have yet to figure out the finance payments. But I hear there are allot of hidden finance charges, higher interest rates and fees if I buy out early. I'm not sure how accurate that is but will need to check the contract.

Originally Posted by Neckbeard
I'm not a recognized expert but I think I can help. What is the difference between your current lease payment and the projected finance payment? If that difference, times the 18 remaining payments, is > $500 then it doesn't make sense to buy it out early given the additional $2k in fees. Remember, you can always buy out the lease at the end of the term for the contracted residual value, regardless of mileage. Then you won't be stuck with the $2,500 additional mileage charge when you turn in the lease.
Old 08-28-18, 12:19 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alir1983
Thank you. I did not know that they re evaluate the residual value at the end of the lease.
Perhaps, I wasn't clear. At the end of the lease, the residual value is not re-evaluated. But the actual value of the car, depending on the mileage, may not be the same as the residual value. If you have driven fewer miles than what is called for in the lease terms, the actual value of the car may be higher than the stated residual value, but, if you have driven more miles than what is called for in the lease terms, the actual value of the car may be lower than the stated residual value.
Old 08-28-18, 12:21 PM
alir1983
Driver

So if I wait till the end of contract. I'll be paying less than the residual value of the car if I proceed with buyout?
Perhaps, I wasn't clear. At the end of the lease, the residual value is not re-evaluated. But the actual value of the car, depending on the mileage, may not be the same as the residual value. If you have driven fewer miles than what is called for in the lease terms, the actual value of the car may be higher than the stated residual value, but, if you have driven more miles than what is called for in the lease terms, the actual value of the car may be lower than the stated residual value.
Old 08-28-18, 12:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

So if I wait till the end of contract. I'll be paying less than the residual value of the car if I proceed with buyout?
No, you will still have to pay the residual value in the lease terms to buy the car. That residual value, if you have driven more than the lease contract's stated mileage, will be more than the car is actually worth, Thus, you will be paying more than the car is worth, but what you lose by paying more for the car than it is actually worth will only be a fraction of what you would lose if you turn in the car at the end of the lease and pay the $.25 per mile excess mileage charge.

Last edited by lesz; 08-28-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 12:39 PM
alir1983
Driver

Oh gotcha. This is for my own calculation at the end to see if it'll be worth it or not. Thanks!!

No, you will still have to pay the residual value in the lease terms to buy the car. That residual value, if you have driven more than the lease contracts stated mileage, will be more than the car is actually worth, Thus, you will be paying more than the car is worth, but what you lose by paying more for the car than it is actually worth will only be a fraction of what you would lose if you turn in the car at the end of the lease and pay the $.25 per mile excess mileage charge.
Old 08-28-18, 01:14 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Dealer was offering to waive some of the remaining payments if I buy into a new car. Not sure what that is about but I asked him to write that up for me.
Dealer may wave on paper, but the reality is that YOU will be paying for those remaining payments in the form of a higher selling price.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (08-28-18)
Old 08-28-18, 01:23 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't get too focused on "buying", when in fact you can do at any point what the salesman is trying to do now--trade the car, the dealer pays off the lease to Lexus, he takes it in his used inventory, and you buy/lease a new car with any over or under value versus the final due to Lexus rolled into the new car financing,or made up in your down payment. I've had a Lexus lease that, because of circumstances, the miles at 30 months into a 36 month term was only 10,000 total, and it actually gave me equity towards the next Lexus and I "traded" early. Leases are just loans with miles..
Old 08-28-18, 01:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cocal
Dealer may wave on paper, but the reality is that YOU will be paying for those remaining payments in the form of a higher selling price.
There is no doubt about that.

The reason why Lexus dealers and Lexus corporate like doing lease deals is that there are many more factors to consider in a lease deal than there are in a sale deal, and, if the customer neglects to properly evaluate any of those factors, there is likelihood of extra profit for Lexus and for the dealer.

In a lease deal, the customer needs to consider, not only the negotiated price of the vehicle, the money factor, and the residual value, but there it is also important to make an accurate estimate of how many miles need to be included in the lease deal. If the customer chooses a lease that includes more miles than will actually be driven, that customer will be paying more for the lease than he/should be and will be, at the end of the lease, returning a car that is actually worth more than the contract's residual value, which allows for more profit when that vehicle is re-sold. On the other hand, if the number of miles driven is significantly higher than what is called for iin the lease terms, there is extra profit in the $.25/mile excess mileage fee. Then, too, there is extra profit in acquisition fees, surrender fees at the end of the lease, etc.

And, when the dealer offers to roll the remaining portion of a lease into a new lease, even more factors that are difficult for most to evaluate are introduced into the deal, and, thus, there is even more opportunity for profit generation that is not immediately apparent to the person who is doing the lease.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (09-01-18)

Quick Reply: Should I buy out my lease (Merged Threads)?