RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18 | 04:20 AM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

Default Newbie Questions

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a 2016 RX. I have spent more time driving it to the dealer for service than I have actually driving it... anywho, I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can help me answer:

1.Do all the RXs have the sensor in the rear emblem to open the hatch?
2.Did they ever really solve the Brake Power low issue?
3.Has anyone noticed a lag upon acceleration? It almost feels like turbo lag but since this is not a turbo, I am not sure if that is just the way it is or, if it is a real issue.
4.Has anyone noticed an engine knock/rattle when the vehicle is first started then put into gear? It sounds like something is going to fall off.
5. Does the enform/remote software work with all models?

I am back to the dealer on Friday to hopefully get these resolved. I am hoping this is the last of the Lexus quirks and I did not buy a lemon.

Thanks,
~N

Last edited by ellydogns; 09-12-18 at 04:25 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 09-12-18 | 06:30 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Sorry about your issues. We have owned a 2010, 2013 and 2017 RX and have had zero issues with any of them. Based on J D Power ranking Lexus #1 in dependability for 7 years in a row that covers these three I am the norm and you are the exception. Good luck!!!
The following users liked this post:
ellydogns (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18 | 06:59 AM
Usual
Driver

Originally Posted by ellydogns
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a 2016 RX. I have spent more time driving it to the dealer for service than I have actually driving it... anywho, I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can help me answer:

3.Has anyone noticed a lag upon acceleration? It almost feels like turbo lag but since this is not a turbo, I am not sure if that is just the way it is or, if it is a real issue.
4.Has anyone noticed an engine knock/rattle when the vehicle is first started then put into gear? It sounds like something is going to fall off.

I am back to the dealer on Friday to hopefully get these resolved. I am hoping this is the last of the Lexus quirks and I did not buy a lemon.

Thanks,
~N
In Canada, only the Executive package has the rear hatch sensor. There is no Enform in Canada for the RX - you can purchase the Lexus remote starter for ~1100 plus tax. I haven't experienced 2,3,4 with my 2018.
The following users liked this post:
ellydogns (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18 | 07:34 AM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Usual
In Canada, only the Executive package has the rear hatch sensor. There is no Enform in Canada for the RX - you can purchase the Lexus remote starter for ~1100 plus tax. I haven't experienced 2,3,4 with my 2018.
Thanks for the information. I can stop looking like a goof-ball waving my hand in front of the rear emblem in an effort to get the hatch to open... lol
Old 09-12-18 | 08:47 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

In Canada, the Fsport 3 also has it.
Old 09-12-18 | 09:30 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

As for the "Low" brake pressure, Lexus changed my "Brake" servo (under warranty) soon after I bought my 2016, that solved the problem of the engine failing to start..
As for the transmission, Lexus has a TSB (Technical Service Bulliten" that the dealer can run on the computer that controls the transmission. Mine was shifting very rough at times. After application of the TSB, the transmission was much improved. You might check to see if the TSB was ever done on your vehicle?
Only other problem was that both windshield wipers came loose at different times. Lexus dealer reset the WW and tightened the nut that secures them to the spindle. That fixed that small problem.
PS: The battery hold down device was not connected. Suggest you look around under the hood on occasion to see if everything is tied down.

Last edited by RGSW; 09-12-18 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Put in year model of Rx
Old 09-12-18 | 09:42 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Hi there,

Thanks,
~N
2. Dealer replaced my brake booster when car had less than 5k miles. Hard brake pedal and low brake power message. Lasted several months until recent. Dealer just did a software update which supposedly addresses issue.
3. I just asked dealer about Lag this week. Says Lexus is aware of issue and is working on fix. I have a 17’ with up to date software. Dealer was also familiar with this issue. Said Lexus recommends using premium gas and Sport mode to reduce the Lag until software update is out.
Old 09-12-18 | 10:13 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Hi there,

Thanks,
~N
2 - some users reported that same problem, I don't know if theirs is resolved. You can research the forum.

3 & 4, many users have reported those behavior and both have fixes (TSB). I had 3 and it got a bit better with the fix. They reprogrammed the transmission with a new software. It is programmed for fuel economy and get lower emissions, especially in Eco Mode. But it affects the responsiveness of the gaz pedal. They made it to repond a bit faster if you really want to give a kick of acceleration. The most annoyed users set the Sport mode to alleviate the problem. For 4, some say that fix work for them, some say it is partial. Personally my 2016 RX does not have it.

When I bought my RX, they were installing third party remote starter on them, which I got. The Lexus one came one year after.
Old 09-12-18 | 04:53 PM
NguyenAT
Rookie

If i park my 18 rx350 (only 700 miles) for a few days, i have the hard brake pedal.
Old 09-12-18 | 06:30 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ssteigss

3. I just asked dealer about Lag this week. Says Lexus is aware of issue and is working on fix. I have a 17’ with up to date software. Dealer was also familiar with this issue. Said Lexus recommends using premium gas and Sport mode to reduce the Lag until software update is out.
TSB L-SB-0109-17 was issued early 2017 to fix this I thought?
Old 09-13-18 | 04:56 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
TSB L-SB-0109-17 was issued early 2017 to fix this I thought?
my car was built late 17’ so it already has the updated software yet still has the lag.
Old 09-13-18 | 07:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NguyenAT
If i park my 18 rx350 (only 700 miles) for a few days, i have the hard brake pedal.
I've never had this happen on the RX but it happens occasionally with another car of mine
Old 09-13-18 | 11:09 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I've never had this happen on the RX but it happens occasionally with another car of mine
My 17 RX350 doesn't get used much...once a week or so and I have the hard pedal, but I just push a bit harder on the brake and have no problem starting.
Old 09-14-18 | 09:05 AM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

2 & 3 have been addressed today at the dealer via software updates.
4 - They could not replicate

Adding #6 as water poured out of the over head light console. Sunroof drains are clear. We shall see what they say/find.

Thanks guys
Old 09-14-18 | 07:15 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

For #4, are you talking about a clunk in the transmission when you pull the lever out of P? Sometimes if I let go of the brakes too early when I put the car in Park (before the auto-parking brake fully engages), the car might still be moving slightly when the tranny goes to P.

When that happens, the next time I start the car up and try to put the car in gear, it takes a bit more effort to pull the shifter out of P and we get a loud clunk at times. Would that describe what you're experiencing?

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions