RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

All-speed dynamic radar cruise control on 2016 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 05:35 PM
toddharshm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All-speed dynamic radar cruise control on 2016 RX?

do all of the 2016 RX350 with Safety System Plus have the ALL-SPEED DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL or just the High speed dynamic cruise control?
Old 09-16-18, 08:20 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

It is the more advanced All-Speed version on all RXs.
Old 09-17-18, 08:58 PM
shq
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Canada 2016 has only high speed one. Mine doesn't stop/go itself, only works above 40km/h (or 50 can't remeber), alerts me to brake below 40km/h, if that's what you meant.

Last edited by shq; 03-28-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 07:13 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My US based 2016 RX-H is certainly stop and go capable. Though after a few seconds of stopping you have to press the cruise or throttle to resume operation.

The big note here is Toyota/Lexus radar cruise is pretty good, while their lane keep assist is more a novelty. If you want a real experience into self driving look into openpilot.

Coupled with Comma.ai Openpilot the RX is a excellent platform that can perform practically as well as Tesla autopilot. Once I get my Comma pedal I'll be able to even work around the stop and go issue to resume without any action from the driver at all. Generally speaking it's only about $1k to add everything needed for openpilot to any RX with ACC and LKAS. Note it's not a perfect technology yet though and requires you add and remove the "EON" each time you park the car if in a warm climate.

Last edited by shadowmite; 09-18-18 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 03:10 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@shadowmite
Have you installed comma.ai OpenPilot yet? If yes, can you please share your experience?
I'm looking at installing this on 2017 IS300.
Thank you.
Old 03-27-19, 12:28 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Openpilot is awesome, works great and is roughly 6mo behind Tesla in functionality. Been that way for awhile with them trailing behind and playing catch up. The IS300 is not upstreamed yet however a guy, quillford, has ported it and you should be able to use his fork until it's upstreamed. Might want to join in the comma discord; he's in the Lexus group there.

Actually there was a big upgrade last night to the devel tree; I need to test that one soon.

Overall to set expectation it's VERY good at keeping the car going straight and following lane lines. However if you have poor lane lines and/or snow covering etc etc expect it to need your assistance. It's a great geek toy, but don't trust it with your life. Pay attention at all times. That said, there is nothing like on-ramping the freeway with a burger in hand and actually being able to use 2 hands to manage it while the car keeps itself in the lane! Just to answer the obligatory question: YES, it's FAR superior to the OEM lane keep. Makes that look like a childs toy.

Don't expect 90 degree turns or full on self-navigation yet. Youtube has lots of videos that can show you what it's like.

Last edited by shadowmite; 03-27-19 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 02:45 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Openpilot is awesome, works great and is roughly 6mo behind Tesla in functionality. Been that way for awhile with them trailing behind and playing catch up. The IS300 is not upstreamed yet however a guy, quillford, has ported it and you should be able to use his fork until it's upstreamed. Might want to join in the comma discord; he's in the Lexus group there.

Actually there was a big upgrade last night to the devel tree; I need to test that one soon.

Overall to set expectation it's VERY good at keeping the car going straight and following lane lines. However if you have poor lane lines and/or snow covering etc etc expect it to need your assistance. It's a great geek toy, but don't trust it with your life. Pay attention at all times. That said, there is nothing like on-ramping the freeway with a burger in hand and actually being able to use 2 hands to manage it while the car keeps itself in the lane! Just to answer the obligatory question: YES, it's FAR superior to the OEM lane keep. Makes that look like a childs toy.

Don't expect 90 degree turns or full on self-navigation yet. Youtube has lots of videos that can show you what it's like.
How do you get started? I looked for some how-to guides but there's not a lot of information on how extensively you need to modify your car and use your phone or other device for processing.
Old 03-27-19, 04:33 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
How do you get started? I looked for some how-to guides but there's not a lot of information on how extensively you need to modify your car and use your phone or other device for processing.
Dig around at this site:
https://opc.ai/vehicles

Or join in at:
http://discord.comma.ai

It has lots of guides etc. For the RX it's pretty easy as all the hard work is already done. You have to remove the plastic cover over the lane keep assist camera right in the middle above your mirror and disconnect the plug there and instead plug in the giraffe from comma, panda, and usb cable to the "Eon". If you want you can re-invent a plastic cover to replace the factory one and make it look oem or some folks leave it open and/or covered with a piece of leather. Depends on the aethetics you want to maintain.

Otherwise an optional but recommended step is to un-plug the dsu, which is a simple cable disconnect under the dash. I can link you to that also if you need help. Pretty easy and works amazingly.

The only negative I have about it is the phone has a li-ion battery and is black. Thus you really need to take it down from your windshield when not in use to prevent it from causing damage to the phone and/or exploding depending on the climate in your area.

Last edited by shadowmite; 03-27-19 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-30-20, 06:18 PM
CoachBr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the DSU

I purchased a 2017 RX350 specifically to install Open Pilot. Can to send the link to disable the DSU? I'm not sure exactly where it's located. What difference does it make for stop and go driving particularly when you get to a complete standstill?

I assume the trade-off is the emergency braking is not active when Open Pilot is not engaged.

QUOTE=shadowmite;10477348]Dig around at this site:
https://opc.ai/vehicles

Or join in at:
http://discord.comma.ai

It has lots of guides etc. For the RX it's pretty easy as all the hard work is already done. You have to remove the plastic cover over the lane keep assist camera right in the middle above your mirror and disconnect the plug there and instead plug in the giraffe from comma, panda, and usb cable to the "Eon". If you want you can re-invent a plastic cover to replace the factory one and make it look oem or some folks leave it open and/or covered with a piece of leather. Depends on the aethetics you want to maintain.

Otherwise an optional but recommended step is to un-plug the dsu, which is a simple cable disconnect under the dash. I can link you to wasthat also if you need help. Pretty easy and works amazingly.

The only negative I have about it is the phone has a li-ion battery and is black. Thus you really need to take it down from your windshield when not in use to prevent it from causing damage to the phone and/or exploding depending on the climate in your area.[/QUOTE]