RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 F Sport, FWD???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 07:36 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008ISF
I guess that is the main problem that I am having. Lexus states that you can have the car of your dreams in their ads. And then when you go to a dealership and say this is what I want...an RX350 FWD F-Sport with options A B and C, the car of my dreams...the sales people look at you like you are crazy and say "What you see on the lot is what you get...or Lexus doesnt make the F-Sport in FWD".

So then I say, I will gladly custom order the car and wait the 3 months for my car...again sales people say sorry cant do it.

This is probably the easiest $60k sale a Lexus salesperson could make.

If anyone knows of a dealer that will be willing to help me out, point me in the right direction.

Oh, and Hawaii has 4 white 2018 F-Sport FWD RX350s. Go figure. Maybe it might be time to look at other brands for a new car.
maybe you should try another dealer. dealer quality varies tremendously, and you might be dealing with one who just wants to move the vehicles on their lot to make way for the 2019s.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (10-08-18)
Old 10-05-18, 12:28 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

I guess that is the main problem that I am having. Lexus states that you can have the car of your dreams in their ads. And then when you go to a dealership and say this is what I want...an RX350 FWD F-Sport with options A B and C, the car of my dreams...the sales people look at you like you are crazy and say "What you see on the lot is what you get...or Lexus doesnt make the F-Sport in FWD".
So then I say, I will gladly custom order the car and wait the 3 months for my car...again sales people say sorry cant do it.
This is probably the easiest $60k sale a Lexus salesperson could make.
If anyone knows of a dealer that will be willing to help me out, point me in the right direction.
Oh, and Hawaii has 4 white 2018 F-Sport FWD RX350s. Go figure. Maybe it might be time to look at other brands for a new car.
Well, if Lexus doesn't want to give you what you want, by all means go look at BMW or Acura or whatever.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (10-05-18)
Old 10-08-18, 12:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Well, if Lexus doesn't want to give you what you want, by all means go look at BMW or Acura or whatever.
I guess he's not "experiencing amazing"
Old 10-18-18, 09:14 PM
RCjets
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2018 FWD RX350 F sport and love it. In the Chicago area AWD is all dealers stock. Every dealer I shopped got an attitude when I asked for a FWD RX350 and tried talking me into "benefits" of AWD. I explained to the mostly uneducated sales reps that AWD on the RX350 is a marketing gimmick - 99.999999% of the time it operates in FWD. Only when a front wheel slips will it temporarily port power to the rear wheels, similar to Honda's system. I see no point in lowering MPG by dragging around approx 165 lbs of extra drivetrain weight that will only get "used" a few times a year. In addition, the owners manual even warns you not to drive extended periods with the AWD drive lock switch on and also says AWD lock mode is canceled at speeds over 25mph. (To avoid any confusion, the AWD systems on other Lexus models, like my AWD RC350, operate totally different and the RX450h is a FWD gas V6 with electric RWD making a hybrid AWD system.)

So when it came time to purchase a FWD I had 2 choices, go to Texas where FWD are all over dealer lots or special order locally. I ended up going the special order route to get exactly the options I wanted, like triple beam LED headlights. With RX350's being built in Canada it only took 2 months for delivery.

I would warn you that with 295hp and FWD if pushed hard you can light up the tires pretty easy, especially in Sport+ mode. So obviously you need to use common sense driving in rain or snow, but FWD actually makes the RX350 so much more fun to drive in my opinion.

Last edited by RCjets; 10-18-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 08:47 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RCjets
I would warn you that with 295hp and FWD if pushed hard you can light up the tires pretty easy, especially in Sport+ mode. So obviously you need to use common sense driving in rain or snow, but FWD actually makes the RX350 so much more fun to drive in my opinion.
And there you have the reason for AWD, you won't "light up" the tyres. Anytime you're driving in adverse conditions the AWD system can be beneficial, particularly in an emergency situation. ABS brakes, traction control, stability control, etc, etc all are things you don't use daily, maybe never, but they are there "just in case".
Old 10-19-18, 11:57 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for everyone’s replies. After some pushing and prodding, and being told that f-sports don’t exist in FWD drivetrain...my local dealer said they would see what they can do. It seems like they will probably be able to get one for us...maybe December...we will see though. Not holding my breath.
Old 10-20-18, 04:27 AM
RCjets
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
And there you have the reason for AWD, you won't "light up" the tyres. Anytime you're driving in adverse conditions the AWD system can be beneficial, particularly in an emergency situation. ABS brakes, traction control, stability control, etc, etc all are things you don't use daily, maybe never, but they are there "just in case".
Apparently you missed my "more fun to drive" part, as in being able to spin the tires for a bit before all the safety features kill the fun. Having driven FWD for decades in adverse conditions like winter, I've never had an issue. If you don't have that experience then I could see the benefit of this type of AWD so you can get a participation award. It's funny to see the attitude difference in this RX forum vs the more performance oriented RC/LC/ISF forums where most get what "fun to drive" means.

Old 10-20-18, 04:40 AM
RCjets
Rookie

The FWD unicorn still exists, here's 2019 sitting at a dealer in Texas...
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=218980317
Normally Park Place Lexus in Plano or Grapevine stock a few FWD's, don't see any 2019's yet, just 2018...
https://www.parkplace.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Lexus&model=RX%20350&trim=F%20SPORT&drivetrain=FWD
Old 10-20-18, 04:58 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Apparently you missed my "more fun to drive" part, as in being able to spin the tires for a bit before all the safety features kill the fun. Having driven FWD for decades in adverse conditions like winter, I've never had an issue. If you don't have that experience then I could see the benefit of this type of AWD so you can get a participation award. It's funny to see the attitude difference in this RX forum vs the more performance oriented RC/LC/ISF forums where most get what "fun to drive" means.
I've grown up - "spin the tires for a bit" does nothing for me now, chewing through a few thousand miles of tread for seconds of "fun" is hard to understand.
Old 10-22-18, 09:03 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a 2018 FWD RX350 F sport and love it. In the Chicago area AWD is all dealers stock. Every dealer I shopped got an attitude when I asked for a FWD RX350 and tried talking me into "benefits" of AWD. I explained to the mostly uneducated sales reps that AWD on the RX350 is a marketing gimmick - 99.999999% of the time it operates in FWD. Only when a front wheel slips will it temporarily port power to the rear wheels, similar to Honda's system. I see no point in lowering MPG by dragging around approx 165 lbs of extra drivetrain weight that will only get "used" a few times a year. In addition, the owners manual even warns you not to drive extended periods with the AWD drive lock switch on and also says AWD lock mode is canceled at speeds over 25mph. (To avoid any confusion, the AWD systems on other Lexus models, like my AWD RC350, operate totally different and the RX450h is a FWD gas V6 with electric RWD making a hybrid AWD system.)

So when it came time to purchase a FWD I had 2 choices, go to Texas where FWD are all over dealer lots or special order locally. I ended up going the special order route to get exactly the options I wanted, like triple beam LED headlights. With RX350's being built in Canada it only took 2 months for delivery.

No really a gimmick.

In acceleration, the 4 wheels are used and when reaching the cruising speed, the rear wheels torque is progressively remove to become FWD. You get better grip for quick acceleration. And yes also the rear wheels kick-in when the traction becomes poor (like wet surface or dusty road).

The reason it's not fully AWD is for fuel economy. OK it is heavier but still, you drive a FWD with the benefits of AWD when required.

I used the drive lock a couple of times in heavy snow storm (6 inches an hour), and you need to drive slow to keep it as it disengages at (by experience) 20 mph. But it is more designed for the start of pulling a tow load in bad terrain condition.

And in my opinion, taking a tight curve with a AWD holds better than a FWD.
Old 10-23-18, 10:58 PM
PredatorRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 2017 F Sport, FWD. Bought it from Georgia and shipped here. Why Georgia? I searched throughout California and almost all 50 states, and found nothing that was less than $60,000. The price from Georgia was the best and I went for it. I do not need AWD and feel the saving in fuel and maintenance will pay off right away.
Old 02-24-19, 04:43 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Good news...

***UPDATE***

After 4 months of delays, numerous promised build/delivery dates, excuses...I was finally able to get the car my wife wanted.

A 2019 RX 350 F Sport, with Front Wheel Drive.

When we went to the dealership, even some of the sales people and managers couldn't believe that an RX 350 F Sport even existed in FWD.

This is definitely one of the nicest cars we have ever owned. The triple beam headlights are really bright, and light up everything on the road. The car drives really well, absorbs all the bumps around town. The seats are really comfy. Seems like it is going to get really good gas mileage...especially on long trips when I am driving. The sound system and easy connectivity to our phones is really nice.
Old 02-25-19, 01:21 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

***UPDATE***

After 4 months of delays, numerous promised build/delivery dates, excuses...I was finally able to get the car my wife wanted.

A 2019 RX 350 F Sport, with Front Wheel Drive.

When we went to the dealership, even some of the sales people and managers couldn't believe that an RX 350 F Sport even existed in FWD.

This is definitely one of the nicest cars we have ever owned. The triple beam headlights are really bright, and light up everything on the road. The car drives really well, absorbs all the bumps around town. The seats are really comfy. Seems like it is going to get really good gas mileage...especially on long trips when I am driving. The sound system and easy connectivity to our phones is really nice.
Congrats! And many happy miles!