RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

andriod auto car play now possible. (kind of)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18 | 03:41 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

I'm anxious to get one of these for my 450h as soon as someone else does it first.
Old 10-11-18 | 04:03 PM
goto35
Pole Position

The better one might be with Grom- US company based in SF. Their is more expensive but you get US support and you can return if it doesnt work.

Working with them to get a uni. will keep you updated.

Last edited by kitlz; 10-11-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-12-18 | 01:50 PM
critten
Rookie

Originally Posted by goto35
The better one might be with Grom- US company based in SF. Their is more expensive but you get US support and you can return if it doesnt work.

Working with them to get a uni. will keep you updated.
I ran past their stuff before. Couldn't find much on it but let us know what you think and do!
Old 10-12-18 | 07:00 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Onion
i believe they have carplay
but they advertise only Android on the website!
Old 10-12-18 | 10:33 PM
lilboi
Driver

I'm running grom on my '16 RX. I love it.
I run my both on a reskinned Android and Carplay. Android is default if I don't plug in my phone; typically have my Spotify Offline songs playing and it's pretty seamless. Every so often I'll use the CarPlay but honestly, the Android is more enjoyable. Been meaning to create a separate thread on that, but I'll share some pictures in the meantime.

The following 2 users liked this post by lilboi:
SoCalRX (10-13-18), Z3NK1 (10-17-18)
Old 10-13-18 | 08:40 AM
goto35
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lilboi
I run my both on a reskinned Android and Carplay. Android is default if I don't plug in my phone; typically have my Spotify Offline songs playing and it's pretty seamless. Every so often I'll use the CarPlay but honestly, the Android is more enjoyable. Been meaning to create a separate thread on that, but I'll share some pictures in the meantime.

Omg ok. Does it run perfectly? Also CarPlay will it auto start when you plug in or do you have to push CarPlay? Trying to figure out a simple solution for the wife.

Anything that doesn't work with it?
Old 10-13-18 | 04:56 PM
JSracer
Instructor

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...nt_system.html

Very interesting, question, can you use the android part, and listen to say the radio, or ipod? Or is the audio source from ghe phone or grom only, when displaying say waze or something. (hope that makes sense, if its tied to the line in, say like the beatsonic)
Old 10-13-18 | 10:50 PM
lilboi
Driver

The GROM unit completely takes over the stereo and remote touch controls when you go into AUX mode. It does so by reading the display and when it picks up you're in the mode the Vline Grom unit does its magic.

I'll find time to open a separate thread since I learned so much while finding my perfect infotainment step. WAYYY better than stock I'll tell you that, but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) could use some work.
The following users liked this post:
JSracer (10-14-18)
Old 10-14-18 | 03:38 PM
goto35
Pole Position

The GROM unit completely takes over the stereo and remote touch controls when you go into AUX mode. It does so by reading the display and when it picks up you're in the mode the Vline Grom unit does its magic.

I'll find time to open a separate thread since I learned so much while finding my perfect infotainment step. WAYYY better than stock I'll tell you that, but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) could use some work.
please please take a video and some more pics. what doesnt work right?

who did the installation?
Old 10-14-18 | 03:47 PM
seejeremy
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to get this to work on the base 8” screen?
Old 10-15-18 | 09:57 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Very interested in this. Please post more pics.
Old 10-15-18 | 10:07 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

The bigger question is whether Android will be no more? The scuttle is that Chrome OS is replacing Android. This might also be the reason Lexus has not cut a deal with Google to have Android Auto as there will be no Android Auto in the future. Maybe Chrome Auto?
Old 10-17-18 | 03:51 PM
goto35
Pole Position

any more pics and videos please?
Old 10-17-18 | 05:07 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

can you run Waze and play Apple and or Pandora at the same time?

Old 10-17-18 | 06:01 PM
richard203
Racer

can u use waze for this?

Quick Reply: andriod auto car play now possible. (kind of)