RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 11:54 AM
primes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm thinking of buying this for my mom. After everything is installed and set up how much button pushing and driving down into menus do you need to do to get in carplay? I cant imagine its as simple as just plugging the phone in.
Old 02-12-19, 12:02 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by primes
Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm thinking of buying this for my mom. After everything is installed and set up how much button pushing and driving down into menus do you need to do to get in carplay? I cant imagine its as simple as just plugging the phone in.
plug the phone in, press the hangup button for 3 seconds. It switch to android and Carplay start automatically in android.

The other option is go to AUX to get to android. Carplay will start automatically as you plug in your phone.
Old 02-13-19, 08:21 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Pretty cool being able to watch Fox News while driving!
Old 02-13-19, 10:29 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Pretty cool being able to watch Fox News while driving!
Now you know why I was so excited to share this. It's like an ipad but with the original screen.

This is the best $500 car mod I've ever spent on a car.
Old 02-16-19, 07:36 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

forgive my naive question, but this device doesn't require an android phone right? It's just a box running an android OS and I would connect my iphone to get carplay, right?

If you put the car in reverse, will the backup camera take over or only if I switch out of carplay mode?
Old 02-16-19, 07:50 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gottspd
forgive my naive question, but this device doesn't require an android phone right? It's just a box running an android OS and I would connect my iphone to get carplay, right?

If you put the car in reverse, will the backup camera take over or only if I switch out of carplay mode?
1. You’re correct. It doesnt require an android phone. I’m using an iPhone.

2. It will switch to backup camera (and bird eyes view), then it returns to android immediately. No need to get out of android. The backup camera system operates independently from the Lexus Enform and the Android (I think it’s wired directly to the display). In fact, you can test this by putting to reverse right after starting your car. Backup camera turns on even though Enform is still booting up.
The following users liked this post:
Gottspd (02-16-19)
Old 02-16-19, 07:53 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Thanks. To move around the carplay screen (i.e., the carplay interface on the lexus 12.3" screen), the factory mouse controller is used, right?
Old 02-16-19, 08:12 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Thanks. To move around the carplay screen (i.e., the carplay interface on the lexus 12.3" screen), the factory mouse controller is used, right?
yes, aka “remote touch” ****
Gottspd (02-16-19)
Old 02-16-19, 08:14 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Thank you! I'm a big fan of CarPlay, so I'm quite happy to read this thread. Are there any other parts needed other than what's included in the kit?
Old 02-16-19, 08:25 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Thank you! I'm a big fan of CarPlay, so I'm quite happy to read this thread. Are there any other parts needed other than what's included in the kit?
a good MFi lightning cable? lol

as far as I know, Carplay does not work properly with cheap lightning cables, even with Carplay built-in by car manufacturer.
Old 02-18-19, 04:07 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like everyone has an Iphone in this forum... As I am aware it doesn't support android auto? I have seen dongles on aliexpress that support both, do you know if it's as simple as just swap out the dongle with another one? Also saw Android reloaded which seems to make this work. The only reason I want it plugged in is because I don't want to hotspot the car every time and data sim in Canada is $$$$$
mcalr3 (12-12-20)
Old 02-18-19, 04:32 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Onion
Looks like everyone has an Iphone in this forum... As I am aware it doesn't support android auto? I have seen dongles on aliexpress that support both, do you know if it's as simple as just swap out the dongle with another one? Also saw Android reloaded which seems to make this work. The only reason I want it plugged in is because I don't want to hotspot the car every time and data sim in Canada is $$$$$
the dongle supports both carplay and android auto.

It’s just that we mention more about carplay and I don’t have an android :-)
Old 02-19-19, 10:58 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

This forum is fantastic and thank you so much to qvtruong for all the detailed information and videos. Because of you, I am 95% convinced on getting that unit. I have a couple of questions. One for the forum and one for qvtruong.

1. I have been looking at the GROM VLine unit which runs android 8.1 but I have been reading nothing but issues with it and it is kind of scaring me away. I don't think it requires a separate dongle for CarPlay; it is part of the system itself. Does anyone here have that unit and would be so kind to share the pros and cons with us. Possibly a video of it in action with the different features and CarPlay would be a plus.

2. qvtruong, can you possibly share a video of the mirroring option with your phone from the beginning connection process and how it really operates? I also notice that the system has some standalone maps (google maps, waze etc...). I know you can use those in CarPlay mode but how do they operate alone?

I have a 2017 GS350 F Sport. I'm guessing I would need the same unit? Thanks in advance for your reply!!

Last edited by c2fordy5; 02-20-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 07:53 AM
SaraWats
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hello I just finished my new project. It huge option but I deceded to choose the quelity device .I don't know do you head about this head unit but its really good and yes no problem with connection your Iphone (in my case its 7 Plus) to Android head unit by CAR Play adapter.

Old 02-20-19, 08:27 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
This forum is fantastic and thank you so much to qvtruong for all the detailed information and videos. Because of you, I am 95% convinced on getting that unit. I have a couple of questions. One for the forum and one for qvtruong.

1. I have been looking at the GROM VLine unit which runs android 8.1 but I have been reading nothing but issues with it and it is kind of scaring me away. I don't think it requires a separate dongle for CarPlay; it is part of the system itself. Does anyone here have that unit and would be so kind to share the pros and cons with us. Possibly a video of it in action with the different features and CarPlay would be a plus.

2. qvtruong, can you possibly share a video of the mirroring option with your phone from the beginning connection process and how it really operates? I also notice that the system has some standalone maps (google maps, waze etc...). I know you can use those in CarPlay mode but how do they operate alone?

I have a 2017 GS350 F Sport. I'm guessing I would need the same unit? Thanks in advance for your reply!!
i’ll find some time to record the video. But it’s literally just turn the car on, go to the android interface, and plug in your phone. Bum done! The autoplay (the app for carplay) app support wired mirroring . There is another app for wireless mirroring, but the phone will run hot.

for those built-in app in android, you just connect the box to the iphone’s personal hotspot (or your portable hotspot). They are apps in Android, so run exact the same way as on an Android tablet/phone. It just needs wifi for downloading data.

c2fordy5 (02-20-19)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350