RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 05:00 PM
gottabekin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Check if you can get back to the factory UI settings. Once there, go to the Audio and adjust the audio settings for the mode that is taken over by CarPlay.
Hi, I am able to adjust the AUX volume on the Lexus system with no problem. In the Road Top carplay device audio setting, I am able to adjust the master volume, notification volume, music volume, and speech volume individually. I did some test and the unit is using the Music Volume for both Spotify and the iHeartRadio app. I was able to find a setting in Spotify to use "quiet" as the normalization setting to make it a little less loud, but there is no such setting for the iHeartRadio app and it is still not as loud. I hope someone have a solution.
The following users liked this post:
maraynman (03-28-23)
Old 02-24-23, 11:55 AM
Jcfox1968
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you like the VLine?
Old 02-27-23, 09:45 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 562 Likes on 330 Posts

I just installed my Grom and the audio isn’t great. It sounds very muffled… I’m not very content with it.

Anyone else having the “muffled”, non-stereo sound quality?
Old 02-27-23, 10:13 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by IntrinoX
I just installed my Grom and the audio isn’t great. It sounds very muffled… I’m not very content with it.

Dang, this is not encouraging! These things cost a lot of money to be this buggy & riddled with problems.
Old 02-27-23, 11:05 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Same here. If I’m going to take a chance it would be for under $300 RoadTop model.
Old 02-27-23, 01:08 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Is that VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system that you installed?
To get the good sound on GROM VLine VL2 or VLite VT2, you need to go to the Factory UI that corresponds to the stereo mode, taken by VLine / VLite. Once there, please adjust the sound settings such as bass, treble, etc. Check here how to:

Old 02-27-23, 02:46 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Is that VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system that you installed?
To get the good sound on GROM VLine VL2 or VLite VT2, you need to go to the Factory UI that corresponds to the stereo mode, taken by VLine / VLite. Once there, please adjust the sound settings such as bass, treble, etc. Check here how to:
https://youtu.be/5CaAZH3mmqI
It is the VT2.. And I already did that.

This is my 4th Grom for four different Lexus models. This one by far, is not the same experience.. The audio is not crisp, sounds like it's playing non-HD radio, if you will..
Old 02-27-23, 03:26 PM
exploreco
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I just installed my VT2 this week and it sounds great. ML audio. I have only used AA as I don't have an Iphone I can't compare Carplay. I am only using it wired. It does work wireless but the sound and operation is better wired, although it doesn't sound muffled as you describe wireless. I tired the Roadtop unit for a few days and was having issues so I pulled it and returned it for the GROM as I had previous experience with it in my van.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (03-01-23)
Old 02-27-23, 07:56 PM
exploreco
Driver

Wanted to share my experience with the GROM product.

I had originally installed the RoadTop unit and had some issues. Due to the amount of time it took interacting with customer service overseas and the time difference I decided to pull it and send back for a refund since I was coming up on my return window. I went with the GROM VLine 2 when the group buy came up. I was familiar with this unit as it is the same one we have in our van.

Upon installing the VLine 2 it was defective out of the box. The screen had issues while in VLine mode so it was unusable. This is where GROM stands out from the rest (IMO) with having state side service (Dallas TX). I opened a support ticket and was assisted right away and asked to provide a video to show them the problem. Within a day they determined there was a hardware issue with the unit and it would need servicing/replacement. I inquired since I needed to send it back for a serving/replacement could I just return it for the VLite because it had become available. That was really the only features I wanted as I don’t use the other features of the VLine in the van. They said no problem. I purchased the new VLite 2 and swapped the units when it arrived. It is working perfectly and sent the old one back. Only real negative experience was they didn’t pay for the return shipping on their defective out of box product. I had to pay to send it back. I feel they should have covered the cost of that since it didn’t work when I received it.

Pros:
  • Android Auto/Apple Car Play
  • All factory functions retained.
  • Wired or Wireless functions
  • Modernizes your car
  • US based customer support
Cons:
  • Not Cheap
  • The VLite does not come with any extras (cables, USB, GPS, etc)
All said and done these units are a great way to bring the dated infotainment into the modern day. My Lexus feels like a new car now. It made my 2016 Honda Odyssey feel the same way when I added it a couple years ago. They aren’t perfect but if you understand that going into it you will be ok. After dealing between GROM and Roadtop I will stay with spending more to deal with customer service that is able to responded same day during my hours, sometimes even with in minutes or a few hours. And if you are within the Dallas area they have appear to have an installation shop.

Some pics of the install.

Cut a hole below where the glove box slides in and out so the wires would not bind.

hole in glove box feeding wires through

Mounted to top of glove box with velcro. Ran USB from radio to VLite to retain factory USB from center console

The following 4 users liked this post by exploreco:
Bewill (06-16-23), gadgetman1 (02-28-23), gromaudio (03-01-23), lighthurst (02-27-23)
Old 02-27-23, 08:18 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Don’t get me wrong, Grom is great as Ive had 4 in different models now.
I believe I just got a defective one. Will try and ask for a replacement unit or upgrade to VL2 tomorrow!
The following 2 users liked this post by IntrinoX:
exploreco (02-28-23), gromaudio (03-01-23)
Old 02-27-23, 09:36 PM
lighthurst
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any other units customers in this thread have had experience with besides Grom and RoadTop? Trying to find some intel on all the available units out there. Thank you to the Grom rep for the info from before and I found a Road top youtube review as well
. The local California pro audio installation shops want to install ZZ-2 https://zz-2.com/products/it-lex17-w...u&_ss=e&_v=1.0, and I found a BeatSonic link online as well
, and a local pro audio solo guy pointed me to a Chinese Honfox brand https://www.ebay.com/itm/274398254394. And curious if there are any other audio sponsors in this thread besides Grom, thank you!
Old 02-28-23, 06:43 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by exploreco
Wanted to share my experience with the GROM product.

I had originally installed the RoadTop unit and had some issues. Due to the amount of time it took interacting with customer service overseas and the time difference I decided to pull it and send back for a refund since I was coming up on my return window. I went with the GROM VLine 2 when the group buy came up. I was familiar with this unit as it is the same one we have in our van.

Upon installing the VLine 2 it was defective out of the box. The screen had issues while in VLine mode so it was unusable. This is where GROM stands out from the rest (IMO) with having state side service (Dallas TX). I opened a support ticket and was assisted right away and asked to provide a video to show them the problem. Within a day they determined there was a hardware issue with the unit and it would need servicing/replacement. I inquired since I needed to send it back for a serving/replacement could I just return it for the VLite because it had become available. That was really the only features I wanted as I don’t use the other features of the VLine in the van. They said no problem. I purchased the new VLite 2 and swapped the units when it arrived. It is working perfectly and sent the old one back. Only real negative experience was they didn’t pay for the return shipping on their defective out of box product. I had to pay to send it back. I feel they should have covered the cost of that since it didn’t work when I received it.

Pros:
  • Android Auto/Apple Car Play
  • All factory functions retained.
  • Wired or Wireless functions
  • Modernizes your car
  • US based customer support
Cons:
  • Not Cheap
  • The VLite does not come with any extras (cables, USB, GPS, etc)
All said and done these units are a great way to bring the dated infotainment into the modern day. My Lexus feels like a new car now. It made my 2016 Honda Odyssey feel the same way when I added it a couple years ago. They aren’t perfect but if you understand that going into it you will be ok. After dealing between GROM and Roadtop I will stay with spending more to deal with customer service that is able to responded same day during my hours, sometimes even with in minutes or a few hours. And if you are within the Dallas area they have appear to have an installation shop.

Some pics of the install.

Cut a hole below where the glove box slides in and out so the wires would not bind.

hole in glove box feeding wires through

Mounted to top of glove box with velcro. Ran USB from radio to VLite to retain factory USB from center console

Thank you for the very detailed replay of your experience! Well done! Does having the unit in the glovebox, restrict access to changing the cabin air filter behind the glovebox? Also, where are these folks located in Dallas?
Old 02-28-23, 01:57 PM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My experience with Grom VT2

So here’s my experience with the Grom VT2 I installed 2 days ago. Installation was easy and straightforward and tools couple hours.

The sound is working fine for me and clear. You will not be able to use the car Bluetooth for making calls while using CarPlay as it will take you back to the Lexus system and won’t let you go back until you hang up the call. I’m order to make calls using CarPlay you will need to to remove your phone from car Bluetooth so it routes to CarPlay.

I thought the Grom was supposed to take you back to CarPlay when changing from reverse to drive but that’s not the case for me. It does take you back when changing climate.

It takes a while for the phone to connect to CarPlay when I start the car and sometimes the gps unit that came white doesn’t seem to be working as maps won’t update on CarPlay unless location services is always on or the app is open on the phone but than this defeats the purpose of paying for that gps unit and drains your phone faster.

sometimes everything works flawlessly and sometimes everything goes wrong as now I’m having an issue where I get kicked out of CarPlay and goes back to Lexus system and when I go back to CarPlay nothing works such as sound and buttons and this whole experience is starting to get frustrating.

it’s been a mixed experience so far and I’m still in contact with support to figure out the issue before returning.
The following 2 users liked this post by landij:
Bewill (06-16-23), lighthurst (02-28-23)
Old 02-28-23, 02:52 PM
exploreco
Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Thank you for the very detailed replay of your experience! Well done! Does having the unit in the glovebox, restrict access to changing the cabin air filter behind the glovebox? Also, where are these folks located in Dallas?
Your welcome. No, it doesn't restrict access to the cabin air filter. Just complicates the process another step. I do not let the dealer service the cabin air filter and ask the service writer not to check it. I also place a printed page in the glove box in large print DO NOT SERVICE CABIN AIR FILTER. They can tell there is an aftermarket box plugged in. I have never had them mess with it. I just change it myself. If it is something that you would want the dealer to do I would just recommend unplugging it prior. GROM recommends the glove box as the location in case it needs to be accessed and not behind the dash which some units like Roadtop and Beatsonic can go. I am not sure their exact location, I believe I have seen on their facebook page they are in Plano.
The following 2 users liked this post by exploreco:
gadgetman1 (02-28-23), gromaudio (03-01-23)
Old 02-28-23, 03:08 PM
exploreco
Driver

See my replies in red below

Originally Posted by landij
I thought the Grom was supposed to take you back to CarPlay when changing from reverse to drive but that’s not the case for me. It does take you back when changing climate. It should take you back to the system. Mine has done so when coming out of reverse but I am also using AA not CarPlay.

It takes a while for the phone to connect to CarPlay when I start the car and sometimes the gps unit that came white doesn’t seem to be working as maps won’t update on CarPlay unless location services is always on or the app is open on the phone but than this defeats the purpose of paying for that gps unit and drains your phone faster. I had experienced this too with wireless AA as well. I decided to just do wired because the connections and sound quality is better and the battery drain so heavy that I was finding myself plunging the phone in anyways to charge. Wired it seems to connect up fairly quickly. They have a video about adding their GPS antenna which is supposed to help with battery drain but that antenna only comes with VL2 and not the VT2.

sometimes everything works flawlessly and sometimes everything goes wrong as now I’m having an issue where I get kicked out of CarPlay and goes back to Lexus system and when I go back to CarPlay nothing works such as sound and buttons and this whole experience is starting to get frustrating. I have had some issues where AA just locks up. If I am listening to Pandora it will just stop and the google maps will just stop. I will need to unplug and re connect and it fixes it.

it’s been a mixed experience so far and I’m still in contact with support to figure out the issue before returning. Hope you are able to work through you issues. I can say from this being my 2nd unit the process isn't perfect and may never be but it is so nice to have the modern conveniences. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350