RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 01:31 PM
Plesh88
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally installed the VLite VT2 recently. So far it's been pretty good.

Occasionally if I'm connected wirelessly with AA the audio will become a bit crackled, but plugging the phone in solves that.

Also, from time to time if you exit out of the menu, getting back into AA requires you to change the source a few times until it goes back in. I've noticed just pressing the main power on/off **** twice works often in this case.

I does stink not being able to just press the power on/off button to pause whatever audio is playing (since it closes AA if you do that), so I have found myself clicking and holding the button on the steering wheel to pause. Less I can use the mouse the better.

My only real complaint is that if you're in a phone call on the regular screen menus you can't get back into AA until the call is over. It's rare when it happens, but if you're navigating you're stuck having to pull it up on your phone instead.

The following users liked this post:
Bewill (06-16-23)
Old 04-26-23, 01:35 PM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried pressing the climate buttons such as fan speed or temperature while on a phone call? This works for me as it takes me back to VL screen.
Old 04-26-23, 01:50 PM
Plesh88
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried a lot of buttons, but didn't try that I don't think. Will give it a shot.
Buck6197 (04-26-23)
Old 04-28-23, 11:42 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

im looking for carplay too and seems vlite have alot of issue right now. do u guys recommend aftermarket?
Old 04-29-23, 06:53 AM
landij
Rookie

From someone that tried VT2, Road top, Lasilt and VL2 I can say each has its own issues. I currently have the VL2 and I can say it works better than most but currently has issue with button controls disconnecting all the time and only way things work again is by having to disconnect the unit however Grom has great support team and they have been working on resolving this issue. My advice would be whatever unit you choose to go with make sure it comes with good support because you will need it. I have not tried beatsonic due to price however they seem to be working directly with Lexus of North America to have the units the the dealership but the price will be 2 to 3 times higher than the most expensive option out there right now and doesn’t offer android or mirror option which will cost another $350.

I would say wait a little to see if the issue with the VL2 disconnection is fixed as this is my favorite unit and if that doesn’t get fixed my second option will be loose some features and go with Bestsonic since they are working with Lexus I would think it will be the most stable option but than cry for few weeks about how much it cost.

Last edited by landij; 04-29-23 at 07:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by landij:
Bewill (06-16-23), gromaudio (05-01-23)
Old 04-29-23, 12:46 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by landij
From someone that tried VT2, Road top, Lasilt and VL2 I can say each has its own issues. I currently have the VL2 and I can say it works better than most but currently has issue with button controls disconnecting all the time and only way things work again is by having to disconnect the unit however Grom has great support team and they have been working on resolving this issue. My advice would be whatever unit you choose to go with make sure it comes with good support because you will need it. I have not tried beatsonic due to price however they seem to be working directly with Lexus of North America to have the units the the dealership but the price will be 2 to 3 times higher than the most expensive option out there right now and doesn’t offer android or mirror option which will cost another $350.

I would say wait a little to see if the issue with the VL2 disconnection is fixed as this is my favorite unit and if that doesn’t get fixed my second option will be loose some features and go with Bestsonic since they are working with Lexus I would think it will be the most stable option but than cry for few weeks about how much it cost.
alright i'll wait for ur update see if it fixes or not then i'll decide
Old 04-29-23, 10:23 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

For as much as each of these systems cost, if they are “buggy”, they are a waste of time & money. Show me a system that works when it should with few issues, & I’m on board.
kylesducks (04-30-23)
Old 04-29-23, 10:40 PM
landij
Rookie

They are all aftermarket solutions so I really don’t think there will ever be a perfect unit. From my experience so far with all the units I tired I think Grom VL2 is the least buggy and I just received a new firmware update that’s supposedly will fix the only issue I’m having with the VL2 so I will update in few dates.

I have not tried beatsonic and they claim they are working directly with Lexus and there units will soon be available at Lexus dealerships so sounds like might be a good solution but comes with a hefty price and doesn’t even offer android OS where you can install your own apps or mirroring and you will have to spend another $350 to have mirroring.

The Grom unit doesn’t have mirroring but I installed android mirroring apps with play store or side loading and also has an HDMI in to plug other hardware to it and the customer service and support has been great and will work with you on resolving issue quickly.
Old 04-30-23, 06:33 AM
exploreco
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
im looking for carplay too and seems vlite have alot of issue right now. do u guys recommend aftermarket?
I have had my Vlite in the 350 for a few months now and it has ran pretty good. I use it daily. The Vlite is exactly what I was looking for as all I wanted was AA or Carplay. I have the full Vline system in our Odyssey and don't use any of the other features outside of AA. Vlite wasn't available for that car at that time. Grom is always top notch on responding to issues and resolving issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by exploreco:
Old 04-30-23, 09:54 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 590 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
For as much as each of these systems cost, if they are “buggy”, they are a waste of time & money. Show me a system that works when it should with few issues, & I’m on board.
I installed the Roadtop Carplay last year and I've been using it at least 2 hours per day everyday. No issues. I'm really happy with it.
Old 05-01-23, 09:43 AM
SneedFeed
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've since installed the VL2 because the Lsailt bricked itself due to a firmware update. So if you've got a Lsailt, don't update the MCU via auto update.

I do have a gripe about the VL2 though, it's that it defaults back to factory UI whenever the camera activates. I guess this is to retain button functionality because on the Lsailt the factory ui (camera part) would cut off carplay/android auto but at least you can see some parts of the car play.

On the Lsailt you are able to force the video output to be on constantly. On the VL2 you *MUST* be on AUX for the headunit to work. If you switch inputs to Bluetooth for example it'll cut off the video and/or would be unable to return to car play until you manually select aux again. This is bad because the audio quality on the aux input is not good.

I don't know its possible via a firmware upgrade but it would be nice if Grom could program the unit to be always on (preferably toggle via button) instead of being input dependent.
Bewill (06-16-23)
Old 05-01-23, 10:14 AM
landij
Rookie

I had the same issue and it turned out is because I didn’t follow instructions on pg11 where it says (Turn this function off) and after that it started working correctly when I’m reverse. When making phone calls using car Bluetooth the screen will switch back to Lexus but all you have to do is just press one of the climate buttons and it will take you back to CarPlay and stay on that screen.

if those fixes are not working reach out to support they are very helpful and quick.
Old 05-01-23, 10:24 AM
SneedFeed
10th Gear

Originally Posted by landij
I had the same issue and it turned out is because I didn’t follow instructions on pg11 where it says (Turn this function off) and after that it started working correctly when I’m reverse. When making phone calls using car Bluetooth the screen will switch back to Lexus but all you have to do is just press one of the climate buttons and it will take you back to CarPlay and stay on that screen.

if those fixes are not working reach out to support they are very helpful and quick.
Yeah the option is "automatically switch screen" or something like that. I turned it off per the manual. But the video output of the Grom is still restricted to having AUX as your primary input. Once you switch off aux it doesn't switch back automatically once the camera activates.
Old 05-01-23, 04:07 PM
gs350_07
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't stand having to reset the box as I would run into issues during a drive so I switched over to the Beat-Sonic one. We didn't need all the additional Android features from Grom so it worked for me. Now, it works like a factory integrated system without glitches.
The following 2 users liked this post by gs350_07:
Bewill (06-16-23), ravenuer (05-02-23)
Old 05-04-23, 01:36 PM
SneedFeed
10th Gear

My screen is flickering on the VL2. Anyone have the instructions on which wire to cut on the harness to fix the issue?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350