RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 08:04 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by landij
I tried VT2, VL2, Road Top, Beatsonic and Lasilt. This one appears to be similar to the lasilt screen replacement. If you’re looking for something that will actually work without having to fix issues all the time pay the extra money and get the beatsonic. I’ve had it installed for 2 weeks now and not a single issues like all the others and it’s the only unit I found that actually stays in CarPlay screen when receiving Bluetooth calls on Lexus factory Bluetooth and the whole experience feels like a factory CarPlay. The other units they all mention good call quality on CarPlay but I got complaints from the person I’m talking to so I always ended up using Bluetooth. Stay away from lasilt as it’s very buggy and they will try to blame it on you or tell you that’s how it works so I had to file a complaint with PayPal to get my refund. If you’re looking to save couple hundred dollars second best from my experience was VL2 and comes with excellent customer service. I’m very happy with the beatsonic and I no longer have to worry about wife calling me and telling something is not working.
OMG! What a mess. I will continue to do without & just buy something newer. What ever happened to updates & plug & play?
Old 05-24-23, 11:58 PM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I’d get the beatsonic since they also worked with Lexus on getting the units to be plug and play and they are going to be offered at some Lexus dealerships per Eric but they will cost more to have a dealer sell and install it.
Old 05-25-23, 09:52 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
The GROM systems VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 retain the factory UI use. You can always go back to the factory UI and use FM radio, backup camera and so on. For 2016 and up Lexus RX it also supports the FM radio and CarPlay / Android Auto at the same time. The CarPlay on VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 supports phone calls, and the system stays in CarPlay.

More information is available on our website, https://gromaudio.com

Can you answer a phone call when listening to radio on cars radio source?
Old 05-25-23, 10:03 AM
landij
Rookie

On all units you can answer calls while in CarPlay and if not using car Bluetooth you will stay in CarPlay while answering the call. If you use the car Bluetooth while using CarPlay when the call comes in and you answer it will switch you back to factory UI and beatsonic is the only unit I found that doesn’t switch you back. You will be able to go back to CarPlay while in Bluetooth call and each unit has a different button that you need to press to go back but my experience was none of them was stable or would stay in CarPlay while in call and I had to switch back and forth every few.

As noted you retain all factory features on all units so if you were able to answer calls while in radio before you will be able to do the same thing after installing CarPlay. Hopefully this answers you question.
The following users liked this post:
maraynman (05-26-23)
Old 05-25-23, 07:23 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Can you answer a phone call when listening to radio on cars radio source?
Yes you can answer the phone call through CarPlay even if you are playing factory FM.
Old 05-29-23, 09:51 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by landij
I tried VT2, VL2, Road Top, Beatsonic and Lasilt. This one appears to be similar to the lasilt screen replacement. If you’re looking for something that will actually work without having to fix issues all the time pay the extra money and get the beatsonic. I’ve had it installed for 2 weeks now and not a single issues like all the others and it’s the only unit I found that actually stays in CarPlay screen when receiving Bluetooth calls on Lexus factory Bluetooth and the whole experience feels like a factory CarPlay. The other units they all mention good call quality on CarPlay but I got complaints from the person I’m talking to so I always ended up using Bluetooth. Stay away from lasilt as it’s very buggy and they will try to blame it on you or tell you that’s how it works so I had to file a complaint with PayPal to get my refund. If you’re looking to save couple hundred dollars second best from my experience was VL2 and comes with excellent customer service. I’m very happy with the beatsonic and I no longer have to worry about wife calling me and telling something is not working.
This. The Beatsonic is more expensive, but it just works.
Old 05-29-23, 10:57 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
This. The Beatsonic is more expensive, but it just works.
do it have wireless carplay? i saw on the video they have it wired with the iphone
Old 05-30-23, 08:01 AM
landij
Rookie

Originally Posted by richard203
do it have wireless carplay? i saw on the video they have it wired with the iphone

Yes it does have it and the icons are not stretched anymore. Those videos are old.
Old 06-07-23, 05:20 PM
dandn0ten
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

for those who have grom vline2 that sometimes the carplay doesnt work, you should try to the app clear or app cleaner which looks like a red x. i have issue with carplay connection and everytime i use app clear, the carplay connects right away. you guys should give a try.
The following 2 users liked this post by dandn0ten:
Bewill (06-16-23), gromaudio (06-08-23)
Old 06-14-23, 12:49 PM
woody88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtop module

Greetings,

I am in the process of installing the roadtop unit I just received. I had looked at professor garage's video, however, it appeared that the module that I received is different than his. Whereas professor's packaging box has colors in packaging, mine does not. And looked like his unit has just the one configuration for 2, 3, and 5 in down position, the manual I received has two configurations for either 10.3 or 12.3" screen. My car is similar like Professor's, it's 2017 RX450h with navigation. I was wondering if anyone has received a similar unit like mine, and if so, do you know which jumper configuration you have. I have posted picture of the manual for reference. I am also in touch with roadtop support via whatsapp, and hope they can give more of a concrete answer, instead me guessing one over the other. If anyone has any feedback on this, i would greatly appreciate it. I had attached the packaging box, along with jumper config sheet. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-26-23, 05:55 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by woody88
Greetings,

I am in the process of installing the roadtop unit I just received. I had looked at professor garage's video, however, it appeared that the module that I received is different than his. Whereas professor's packaging box has colors in packaging, mine does not. And looked like his unit has just the one configuration for 2, 3, and 5 in down position, the manual I received has two configurations for either 10.3 or 12.3" screen. My car is similar like Professor's, it's 2017 RX450h with navigation. I was wondering if anyone has received a similar unit like mine, and if so, do you know which jumper configuration you have. I have posted picture of the manual for reference. I am also in touch with roadtop support via whatsapp, and hope they can give more of a concrete answer, instead me guessing one over the other. If anyone has any feedback on this, i would greatly appreciate it. I had attached the packaging box, along with jumper config sheet. Thank you in advance.

I would contact the manufacturer with your specific vehicle info and ask them what your setting should be.

They can be reached on WhatsApp.
Old 07-12-23, 10:24 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Hi all, just to let you know that we will have the new group buy order starting tomorrow! If you would like to join, send us your email address via direct message. We will add you to the group order list. You can also send us the request via web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html and we will add you to the list.

The ordering period will end July 20th, and the product will ship after August 3rd. The discount is $120 off the VLine VL2 system and $70 off the VLite VT2. Let us know if you have any questions!

Old 07-21-23, 07:37 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

something was not working and i could not get the discount code.. can you private message me this...

what is the downside of the lite unit for my2019rx

what will i be missing?
Old 07-21-23, 03:32 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by silvaIS
something was not working and i could not get the discount code.. can you private message me this...

what is the downside of the lite unit for my2019rx

what will i be missing?
Contact us at https://gromaudio.com/suppport.html We will help you to get the code.

The difference between VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 is that VLite VT2 is CarPlay and Android Auto only. VLine VL2 has CarPlay / Android Auto and a fully functional built-in Android interface that you can use to access the Play Store and download the apps directly to the VLine VL2 unit, without any phone needed.

Vline VL2 also has HDMI-IN, HDMI-OUT, front-facing and backup camera integration. You can check the comparison table here:
https://gromaudio.com/vl_compare.html

For 2019 Lexus RX with NAV you will need LEX89 model of either VLine VL2 or VLite VT2:
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex89_.html

Note if there is no navigation, different VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 model will be needed.
Old 08-02-23, 01:40 PM
lmnop123
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the roadtop unit in my 2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport couple months ago, the only thing that's bothering me is the resolution. I'm not sure if its supposed to be this way, but it looks a bit blurry on my screen, the regular lexus menu looks way sharper.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350