RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 08:09 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by lmnop123
Installed the roadtop unit in my 2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport couple months ago, the only thing that's bothering me is the resolution. I'm not sure if its supposed to be this way, but it looks a bit blurry on my screen, the regular lexus menu looks way sharper.
In general, from our experience, with the 2016 Lexus RX 350 all should be good with the screen resolution. However, you can try to adjust display brightness and contrast for the specific stereo mode that the CarPlay interface took over in your vehicle. We recently created a video that addresses the display brightness and contrast adjustment, on the lower res display. You might want to check it to get an idea for your situation:
Old 08-03-23, 10:00 AM
lorif
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Navigation

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Just installed an aftermarket android box with Apple Carplay dongle to my RX350. The dongle also works with android auto. I don’t have an android phone, so this post is mostly about Apple Carplay.

Pros: looks and works like OEM, keep all factory settings/features (e.g. control with remote touch, birds eyes view, Mark Levinson, use car’s microphone, steering wheel control), keeps all factory hardware, plugs and play, play music via car’s bluetooth and control/browse playlist with the carplay interface.

Cons: apple maps navigation/siri sometimes will be played on the external speaker come with the kit, sometimes need to change the output to bluetooth on the iphone after siri/phone call (which is a bit annoying but acceptable). There is a setting to connect the android box's bluetooth to the Lexus bluetooth. See attached for instruction to turn "Master-On" on setting. All sounds now go through car's speakers.

I bought it on aliexpress from lsailt.

Update: Here is an overview video:

https://youtu.be/EeLo4AQLgfg
Hi!
I recently had CarPlay installed on my 300NX and the original navigation stopped working with voice command. Is this a common thing once you install CarPlay? I like the convenience of the original navigation if my phone isn't plugged in, but when I use the voice command, it doesn't send the directions to the map on the screen. Also, is there a way to change to default application when your car is plugged in? It defaults to Google Maps, but I always use Waze. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-03-23, 10:13 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by lorif
Hi!
I recently had CarPlay installed on my 300NX and the original navigation stopped working with voice command. Is this a common thing once you install CarPlay? I like the convenience of the original navigation if my phone isn't plugged in, but when I use the voice command, it doesn't send the directions to the map on the screen. Also, is there a way to change to default application when your car is plugged in? It defaults to Google Maps, but I always use Waze. Thanks for your help.
It depends on how the unit you installed integrates with your factory stereo and steering wheel voice command. It is possible that the voice command is mapped to the CarPlay unit, and therefore no longer available for the native navigation. With GROM VLine VL2 system the original navigation and functionality stays intact. You can check with the original manufacturer of the CarPlay unit that you use, they might be able to provide you with better information.

As for Waze, there should be a setting within the CarPlay for the default map, check for that.

Old 08-10-23, 05:05 PM
PaleLexus
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any decent screen upgrades

Have a 2017 w/ the **** and the small screen. Was looking to upgrade with carplay. Noticed that there are a bunch of listings on ebay for replacement screens that are higher quality and have carplay and stuff built in. Anyone used any of them? Worth the cost? $700+ seems a bit steep when you can get a portable carplay unit for $200 or a nice android tablet and just mount that.
Old 08-10-23, 08:06 PM
PaleLexus
Rookie

BTW, looks like a couple of sellers are doing a decent discount on ebay on the roadtop kits. Just picked one up myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385466094036
Old 08-25-23, 01:29 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by PaleLexus
Have a 2017 w/ the **** and the small screen. Was looking to upgrade with carplay. Noticed that there are a bunch of listings on ebay for replacement screens that are higher quality and have carplay and stuff built in. Anyone used any of them? Worth the cost? $700+ seems a bit steep when you can get a portable carplay unit for $200 or a nice android tablet and just mount that.
There are pros and cons of this approach. The bigger screen is nice, but will it integrate well with the rest of the factory car stereo system? Will you get the backup camera, FM, and so on? Also if for any reason the screen stops working, that means you will not get access to the entire stereo system at all.

Our (GROM Audio) approach is to integrate with the existing stereo display. Does your 2017 Lexus RX have a factory nav or not?
Old 08-25-23, 01:46 PM
PaleLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by gromaudio
There are pros and cons of this approach. The bigger screen is nice, but will it integrate well with the rest of the factory car stereo system? Will you get the backup camera, FM, and so on? Also if for any reason the screen stops working, that means you will not get access to the entire stereo system at all.

Our (GROM Audio) approach is to integrate with the existing stereo display. Does your 2017 Lexus RX have a factory nav or not?
I ended up installing the roadtop unit I linked above and I'm pretty happy with the performance. The issues that you mentioned above are the same ones that I had considered. I have the standard 8in (I believe) screen with the crappy scout GPS app. I was looking at potentially upgrading it to the OEM 12.3" screen but I have no idea if you can even swap between the two. Could be worth doing if I could sell it for a similar price.

I had tried the Westods 9.3" portable display and found it to be such a horrific experience that it was actually a downgrade from just having my phone mounted on the dashboard - after that, I decided there was no way I'd risk wiring in some crappy aftermarket android unit.

I haven't been able to find an official resolution for the OEM units but it appears that the 12.3 is likely 1280x480 whereas the 8 is 800x480. So you get 50% more screen real estate on the side but the same height. The 8in screen with google maps mirrored to it has been reasonably sufficient for my needs so far.

I did end up not being able to get usable audio from the carplay interface though. When I was wiring it up it was great but once I stuffed everything behind the glovebox I started getting a nasty hum. Am going to try connecting the ground wires to see if that helps with the issue.

Edit: so while it was ungrounded it was picking up radio signals. When I touched the end of the ground wire to the metal of the box the interference vanished instantly. Pretty simple fix, just connect the two ground wires as directed by the manual and you're good to go. Audio quality via carplay seems to be better than bluetooth, and the only negative I've noticed is that pressing the next button on the steering wheel has slight lag whereas on bluetooth it would work instantly. However, when I change the song via my phone the same lag persists, so I think it's just a carplay thing.

All in all, for $250 it's great. Will likely do the same thing with my IS.

Last edited by PaleLexus; 08-29-23 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (08-28-23)
Old 08-28-23, 09:17 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

For anyone interested in GROM VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system for CarPlay and Android Auto integration into your factory car stereo, we plan to run the next group buy order starting September 7th. The group order pricing will allow you to save $120 off the GROM VLine VL2 system and $70 off the GROM VLite VT2. Both systems offer wireless and wired CarPlay and Android Auto, and the VLine VL2 system also offers a stand-alone Android interface with the access to Google Play store so you can download apps directly to the system, to use while driving. One of our demo videos on Lexus RX:

If you would like to join the upcoming group buy order, please send us the request via web form here: https://gromaudio.com/support.html

Or send us a private message on this forum. We will add you to the list. Let us know if you have any questions, we are happy to help!

CarPlay on Lexus factory stereo using VLine VL2 system.

Android Auto on Lexus factory stereo using VLine VL2 system.
Old 10-01-23, 04:44 PM
bobdulong
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 Lexus RX and Grom VL@

Anyone have any pictures where they mounted their Grom VL2 in an RX? Right now, I have it stuffed in the glove box but want to do something more finished. Looking for ideas

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-03-23, 03:10 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 450H Bluetooth Mod For Audio Streaming

We have had our RX for about six months. I searched the sticky's for this info, to no avail. Wondering if there is an aftermarket mod to adapt the factory sound to function with Apple Car Play or otherwise give us audio through the phone, aside from just phone calls?

TY
Old 10-19-23, 10:02 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by bobdulong
Anyone have any pictures where they mounted their Grom VL2 in an RX? Right now, I have it stuffed in the glove box but want to do something more finished. Looking for ideas

Thanks,
Bob
The glove box is the best location we recommend for the accessibility and safety of the unit. This is what we use when we install GROM VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 systems to the customer's vehicles.

GROM VLine VL2 System for CarPlay Android Auto - glove box mount

GROM VLite VT2 System for CarPlay Android Auto - glove box mount
bobdulong (10-19-23)
Old 10-19-23, 10:05 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Default November 2023 VLine VL2 VLite VT2 Group Order

Hi all,

We plan to run the next group order for GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 for CarPlay / Android Auto integration to your factory Lexus stereo. The next group order will start on November 2nd and run until November 9th. It will be the last group buy order before the end of this year.

The discount will be $120 off the VLine VL2 system and $70 off the VLite VT2 system. Both systems support wireless CarPlay and Android Auto integration into the factory Lexus stereo. If you would like to join the group, send us a private message on this forum with your email address and name. We will add you to the group.

Or you can send us the request to join the group via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

CarPlay using VLine VL2 system with Lexus LS 460 2012 factory car stereo

Android Auto on Lexus factory stereo using VLine VL2 system.
Old 10-27-23, 07:34 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

Default Roadtop

Hello, I have this unbearable static noise in my speaker when the volume is a little over 40. I tried tapping the Audio-gnd to gnd per seller instruction. I tried screwing the Audio-gnd to the metal frame and the Gnd wire to metal frame as well, but cannot get rid of this static. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this problem? The unit works great, but this static noise is driving me nuts. Please help if you have a clue. Thanks!
Old 11-15-23, 08:28 PM
bcinsd
2nd gear

Default Carplay retrofit advice please

Just bought a 2016 RX 450h with 12.3 inch navigation. Id like to add wireless carplay. I did some research but there seem to be many options at different price points. I've read many complaints re: joystick difficuties, connection issues, slow speed (lag) that appear to effect some of the more expensive ones as well. Its also very difficult to get information re: microprocessors speed/ on board memory / boot time, etc.

These are some of the high price devices Ive seen: Lexion, Naviks, gchauto, Grom and Beat-sonic. If I were to buy one of these it would be the Lexion.
Low price devices include carlinkit, road top, carporkit, andream. Don't know if any of these are better or worse.

Can anyone give any advice regarding the cheaper models? Do they all have joystick issues? Connection frustrations?
I'd rather not spend the extra money, but if the cheaper ones all have issues, I will go with the Lexion.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 11-15-23, 08:40 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 562 Likes on 330 Posts

I had Lexion's screen replacement on my RCF and it was the best one I've experienced.

I put the Grom VLine 2 in my RX and it has been great for me.

Can't go wrong with either imo.
gromaudio (11-21-23)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350