RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 10:09 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Default January 2024 Group Order for VLine CarPlay starts today!

The group order for VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems to add CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereos starts today! It is not too late to join the group order. Simply send us PM with your email and name, and we will add you to the group order list.

You will receive special code for the group discount of $120 towards GROM VLine VL2 System, or $70 towards VLite VT2.

Let us know if you have any questions, we are happy to help!
Old 01-13-24, 01:06 AM
Carlinklife
Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add Carlinklife Carplay and use mobile navigation, such as Waze Google Maps and Apple MapsCompared to the original car navigation, it is more convenient and does not require updating the map again.

Use discount code"USD30OFF" to get the best price of $299

https://carlinklife.com/products/wir...40298856841293
Compatible :Lexus RX 2016 - 2019 7''& 10.3''& 12'' Screen

Old 01-15-24, 09:55 AM
maraynman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update atter a year of usage. The two complaints are that 1) infrequently, the CarPlay makes a random mobile call when I am navigating the screens and 2) occasionally I have to reset the Bluetooth connection to get the system to connect and display. Otherwise, the CarPlay system has been excellent. Once I got use to using the mouse the enter buttons, I have been able to use this just as easily as the standard navigation system. It has worked with Bluetooth and over the AUX connection depending on the way I want to listen to music or the radio. I will vote for the Road Top again and think that the selection worked out very well,
Old 01-19-24, 01:19 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I just installed this roadtop CarPlay module https://roadtop.com/products/lexus-n...43153594417395 on a 2019 luxury edition, it arrived in a box under a brand “CarPlay Decoder”

CarPlay function works well but not the AirPlay. Anyone solved this problem with this module?

I know of at least one more person having the same issue on a 2016 RX premium. Appreciate any insights!
Old 01-27-24, 06:07 AM
Carputech
Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello, about wireless carplay modules for Lexus vehicles, you can check our this product: https://www.carputech.com/products/w...play-functions

We have a special offer for Clublexus members until February 10, 2024.
Please use coupon code: LEXUS20 to get 20% off on our website: https://www.carputech.com

We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Some of the frequently asked questions are:
1.How does the Apple Carplay Module hook up to my car?
Generally one connector will go to your screen and two connectors will go to your headunit/radio.

2.Does this Carplay Retrofit Module replace my existing IDRIVE/MMI/NTG system?
No, the retrofit CarPlay/Android Auto system works in parallel with the existing iDrive/MMI/NTG system. For example, you can swtich between the two by pressing the MENU button on the BMW radio panel. You do not need to remove any of the BMW iDrive system components, you simply “add in” the Carplay Module using the plug and play wiring loom. The same is true for Audi, Mercedes, Mini and VW etc.
We provide: 30 DAYS FREE RETURN GUARANTEE & 2-YEAR-WARRANTY.
Carputech is a manufacturer dedicated to providing OEM factory-integrated navigation systems(Carplay Upgrade Modules), Carplay adapters, and aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto systems for various vehicle brands.
Web : www.carputech.com E-mail : support@Carputech.com
Welcome any inquires. Thank you.
Old 01-27-24, 06:31 AM
conway9226
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carputech
Hello, about wireless carplay modules for Lexus vehicles, you can check our this product: https://www.carputech.com/products/w...play-functions

We have a special offer for Clublexus members until February 10, 2024.
Please use coupon code: LEXUS20 to get 20% off on our website: https://www.carputech.com

We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Some of the frequently asked questions are:
1.How does the Apple Carplay Module hook up to my car?
Generally one connector will go to your screen and two connectors will go to your headunit/radio.

2.Does this Carplay Retrofit Module replace my existing IDRIVE/MMI/NTG system?
No, the retrofit CarPlay/Android Auto system works in parallel with the existing iDrive/MMI/NTG system. For example, you can swtich between the two by pressing the MENU button on the BMW radio panel. You do not need to remove any of the BMW iDrive system components, you simply “add in” the Carplay Module using the plug and play wiring loom. The same is true for Audi, Mercedes, Mini and VW etc.
We provide: 30 DAYS FREE RETURN GUARANTEE & 2-YEAR-WARRANTY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gop3Uz8jIs
So carlinkit2.0decorder now is called carputech module?
Old 01-27-24, 05:46 PM
17rx350fsport
3rd Gear

Default Hdmi settings

Originally Posted by natedahms
This Roadtop Carplay interface just keeps giving. Earlier today I went out and bought a Google Chromecast with GoogleTV to hook up to the Roadtop's HDMI port. This thing is bad ***... It's like having a Nvidia Shield in you car but only uses 5 Volt DC, 1.5 amp, 7.5 Watts max.

I don't see any reason to buy a Carplay interface that runs android apps. It could never come close to competing with GoogleTV. The GoogleTV interface is so smooth for entertainment apps and is easy to use with the provided remote. For its size and only pulling 7.5w, it's really fast and as stable as you're going to get.

How do you switch to the HDMi connection? I'm in the middle of installing it and bought an hdmi extender and tried to use a roku stick but no luck. I don't see an option to switch over. Also, did you have to add the joystick extender cable?

Also what did you set.your toggle switch settings to? The instructions say 2,3 but some youtubers have 2,3,5.

Old 01-27-24, 07:16 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I just got my unit. It is the same as the one you show. I tried dial setup 1 and 2 of the manual. Setup 1 had flickering at a few rows from bottom of the screen like the old Lexus screen was behind it and trying to show through. With setup 2 there was no flickering. Both setups cut a few rows of pixel from the top. So in one of the CarPlay setup screens from road top I changed the top of screen from 0 to 2. Can’t remember the exact menu.

So far works OK, except for the difficult to use joystick control. The joystick does not recenter, and seems best moving going left and right than top and bottom. The feel of the joystick is very different when using the default Lexus system.
Old 02-08-24, 09:30 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Default GROM VLine VL2 CarPlay Installed into Lexus RX 350 2019

Here is the most recent video of the installation of GROM VLine VL2 system into Lexus RX 350 2019:

We show how to secure the main "brain" unit inside the glove compartment and how to install a GPS antenna so it is not visible from outside, yet there is no obstruction to the signal. The VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system model that will fit 2013-2019 Lexus RX 350 450H with the factory navigation is LEX78, available here:

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex78_.html

The installation steps are identical for the VLine VL2 and the VLite VT2. For the 2013-2019 Lexus RX with factory navigation, both systems use the factory microphone already available in the vehicle. Both systems, VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.
Old 02-08-24, 09:57 AM
17rx350fsport
3rd Gear

I bought the same one you did. Installed it a week ago (2017 Lexus RX350 Fsport). It uses switches 2 and 3. But TBH the whole issue of the joystick toggling through the options only using left and right was annoying but after a day I got used to it. The other issue is the one I received from them had no HDMI option on the screen. I plugged in a Roku stick and powered it through the USB connection, but I couldn't get to the HDMI option. I WhatsApp'd the Roadtop number and they sent me an update file that I put on a USB stick and it automatically added the HDMI function. After getting it all running and wired I realized something. I don't want to take my car apart again. So I took it to a professional installer and he hid all the wires, ran the cables for the HDMI and USB into the glovebox, and installed an
MPC Remote Starter MPC Remote Starter
I bought from Amazon. All for $200. To me worth it. Because the time it took to do just the road top box was a lot longer than I thought. And it takes time for the Roadtop support in China to respond. So now you're sitting there with your car apart and waiting for a response and you have work the next day.

Now, obviously the whole point of the Roadtop is so you can do it yourself. And I could have had I had the time and a garage to do it in, but it's like 20 degrees here and I wanted it done right, ASAP, and working properly. The other thing, which is a major plus for me is that somehow the installers got the joystick to work so I can navigate up down left, and right. They also hard-wired the power for my
Digital Rearview mirror dashcam Digital Rearview mirror dashcam
so it opened up a charging port. So to me. The 200 was worth it. Especially with the remote start option back.

Originally Posted by woody88
Greetings,

I am in the process of installing the roadtop unit I just received. I had looked at professor garage's video, however, it appeared that the module that I received is different than his. Whereas professor's packaging box has colors in packaging, mine does not. And looked like his unit has just the one configuration for 2, 3, and 5 in down position, the manual I received has two configurations for either 10.3 or 12.3" screen. My car is similar like Professor's, it's 2017 RX450h with navigation. I was wondering if anyone has received a similar unit like mine, and if so, do you know which jumper configuration you have. I have posted picture of the manual for reference. I am also in touch with roadtop support via whatsapp, and hope they can give more of a concrete answer, instead me guessing one over the other. If anyone has any feedback on this, i would greatly appreciate it. I had attached the packaging box, along with jumper config sheet. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-08-24, 02:56 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m really wanting a CarPlay device in my 2019 F-Sport with ML. This vehicle feels DATED without that feature on such an expensive vehicle.

i purchased the RoadTop device with wireless CarPlay in May 2022, but removed it after about a week because it was too glitchy for my wife to use because she drives it a lot more than I do. I probably could have dealt with it but she couldn’t being not as techie as myself.

Does anyone have information on how to update the firmware?

I may try to install it again and update the firmware and if that doesn’t still work as I think it should I’ll probably move onto a Grom unit. How well does this Grom unit work compared to my other options?

Last edited by whiteghost; 02-08-24 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24, 03:48 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by whiteghost

I may try to install it again and update the firmware and if that doesn’t still work as I think it should I’ll probably move onto a Grom unit. How well does this Grom unit work compared to my other options?
We are happy to answer any questions about GROM Audio products you may have. For 2019 F-Sport with ML you will need LEX78 model of VLine VL2 system, available here:
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex78_.html

We also just released the demo video for CarPlay / Android Auto in Lexus RX 350 2019, you can check it here:

Old 02-09-24, 04:53 AM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Thanks for that.

The Grom unit looks like it runs a lot smoother than the RoadTop unit.
gromaudio (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 05:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteghost
Thanks for that.

The Grom unit looks like it runs a lot smoother than the RoadTop unit.
I've had the RoadTop for few years now and no issues.

It's actually pretty smooth.

I have more disconnects on the 24Rx with OEM carplay compared to the Aftermarket Road Top.

seadonu (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 05:33 AM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I've had the RoadTop for few years now and no issues.

It's actually pretty smooth.

I have more disconnects on the 24Rx with OEM carplay compared to the Aftermarket Road Top.

do you have information on updating the firmware?

I've contacted RoadTop to see.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350