RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 01:44 PM
17rx350fsport
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
I have had the RoadTop for a couple of months on 2017 RX450h with Nav. So far works OK, except for the following:
  • Extremely difficult to move and select items with joystick
  • Echo reported on calls by callers, even though I have tried different settings
  • On a handful of occasions, when I switch to CarPlay, it just displays a Black screen on startup that last several minutes. The RoadTop settings screen shows up, but not the CarPlay screen.
I love the roadtop. I installed it 95% myself but luckily i do have a friend who is a professional installer and before I closed it all up I decided to let him do it. Why? Cables i the right spot and also had a MPC remote starter with app installed. I couldn't get the joystick working correctly and read/watched some reviews on people dealing with it which I was ready to do. When I picked my car up the joystick worked perfectly. Don't know what they did diff. But not even roadtop could give me a concrete answer or instructions to get it working the way it does on the lexus infotainment. Also to add....roadtop had to send me an update since the module I ordered didn’t have the hdmi app installed to select an hdmi device connected to the back of the module. I wanted to run a roku stick or apple tv off of it. Ended up doing roku since it powers off the USB. It's tucked away in the glove box and i love having it. Obviously not recommended but i can watch anything on my long commute to work. I have a 17' Rx350 fsport. Have been using it for about 2 months now and for what I need it for it works. Getting wireless android auto to work is Def. A little harder than Apple carplay. I plan on getting a front facing camera so I can use the camera button when parking headon.

The MPC remote start is incredible. Def worth it since Lexus cancelled the 3g module. Never once had an issue with remote starting via the key or app. And it works way quicker than the lexus app ever did. Almost instant. Locks and unlocks and does a bunch of other things. I didn't op for the ODB module since I have a tmobile sync plugged in running wireless internet in my car which also runs the Roku stick.

Old 03-11-24, 12:17 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Default VLine VL2 for CarPlay Android Auto - installation and demo

Hello all,

We wanted to share the recent installation of GROM VLine VL2 system into Lexus RX 450h 2019 for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto integration:

In this install video we show how to disassemble the dashboard of Lexus RX, connect the system at the back of the stereo and display, position and hide the GPS antenna, and route the cables inside the glove compartment so you can secure the system inside the glove box.

There is no need to install the aftermarket microphone, the VLine VL2 system in Lexus RX 350 450h 2013-2019 will use the factory microphone for CarPlay and Android Auto integration. You can use Siri or Google Assistant to start music or navigation while driving or to initiate the phone call.

The same model is compatible with the Lexus RX 350 450h 2013-2019, model name is LEX78VL2, available here:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex78.html

Here is also a demo video of wireless CarPlay and Android Auto on the factory Lexus RX 450h 2019 stereo, using GROM VLine VL2 system:

In addition, we are running the group order for GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto integration into Lexus stereos. You can check here for the details:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...l#post11682823

We are happy to answer any questions!

Old 03-25-24, 10:39 AM
Rbarkley
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 RX450h without Apple Car Play

I just purchased my second Lexus, this one didn't come with Apple Car Play. I have been watching YouTube videos and doing research on which one to buy and install. I've found a few companies but I don't know which one to purchase. I'd like to buy from a US company, I have heard the China brands stop working after a few months. I have found the following. Unavi and Beat-Sonic sells theirs for $600 and $750. While Mozart Electronic sells a unit for $850, which replaces the OEM screen with a touchscreen, the others relay on using the car's mouse tracker device. Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies.

I am planning on installing this myself, as it looks easy to do.

Thank you
Rick
Old 03-28-24, 08:23 PM
maraynman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
I have had the RoadTop for a couple of months on 2017 RX450h with Nav. So far works OK, except for the following:
  • Extremely difficult to move and select items with joystick
  • Echo reported on calls by callers, even though I have tried different settings
  • On a handful of occasions, when I switch to CarPlay, it just displays a Black screen on startup that last several minutes. The RoadTop settings screen shows up, but not the CarPlay screen.
I also have the RoadTop and found that these fixes work. For the echo, I switch back to Car Accessory instead of CarPlay and the echo stops. For the occasional "black screen", I move the joy stick to the far left and click which will bring up the bottom icon of screen the screen display and then I see the active screen. Hope this helps you out with your device.
The following users liked this post:
Carputech (03-28-24)
Old 03-29-24, 09:33 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Rbarkley
I just purchased my second Lexus, this one didn't come with Apple Car Play. I have been watching YouTube videos and doing research on which one to buy and install. I've found a few companies but I don't know which one to purchase. I'd like to buy from a US company, I have heard the China brands stop working after a few months. I have found the following. Unavi and Beat-Sonic sells theirs for $600 and $750. While Mozart Electronic sells a unit for $850, which replaces the OEM screen with a touchscreen, the others relay on using the car's mouse tracker device. Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies.

Thank you
Rick
For 2019 Lexus RX we have the GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 compatible. If you are looking for only CarPlay, you can get the VLine VT2. It retails for $529.95, and it is available here:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/grom-vt2-lex78.html
Assuming your vehicle has factory navigation. We are US manufacturer, and the product comes with 18 month manufacturer warranty and also technical support from us (US based).

For 2019 Lexus the CarPlay via VLite VT2 system will take over the entire screen. We are happy to help with any questions!
mrdeezy (04-21-24)
Old 03-29-24, 09:37 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Default Install video of GROM VVLine VL2 VLite VT2 on Lexus RX 3019

Originally Posted by Rbarkley

Thank you
Rick
We also have the install video for 2019 Lexus RX, you can check it here:

The system uses the factory microphone for the phone calls, and all CarPlay functions are fully integrated into the factory stereo. Compatible models are LEX78VL2 / LEX78VT2, available here:
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex78_.html
Both systems provide wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.
Old 04-09-24, 02:56 PM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Do any of the offerings in the market allow to listen to XM and navigation events from Android Auto at the same time? I want to listen to XM but still get navigation voice from google maps.
Old 04-09-24, 03:30 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by mrmonster
Do any of the offerings in the market allow to listen to XM and navigation events from Android Auto at the same time? I want to listen to XM but still get navigation voice from google maps.
It is possible with GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems. Once you are in the factory XM screen, you can press and hold the MAPS button and the screen will flip to the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 mode for CarPlay and Android Auto ((In some cases you will need to use "MENU" instead). You can use Google Maps.

The compatible models of VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 for Lexus RX 2016-2019 with the factory NAV are LEX78VL2 and LEX78VT2, available here:

Last edited by gromaudio; 04-10-24 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 04:24 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

If you run XM on your phone then the navigation voice and Google directions are both transmitted through CarPlay or Android auto.

Old 04-09-24, 04:25 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
It is possible with GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems. Once you are in the factory XM screen, you can press and hold the HOME button and the screen will flip to the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 mode for CarPlay and Android Auto. You can use Google Maps.

The compatible models of VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 for Lexus RX 2016-2019 with the factory NAV are LEX78VL2 and LEX78VT2, available here:
Are you saying that Grom units allow for Google maps voice directions through CarPlay and the factory XM radio audio at the same time?
Old 04-10-24, 10:07 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Are you saying that Grom units allow for Google maps voice directions through CarPlay and the factory XM radio audio at the same time?
The sound will only come from one source, as the stereo cannot be in two sound sources at the same time. But you can see the CarPlay map and listen to the factory XM radio with the GROM VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system. If you want to have the sound for both the CarPlay and XM, you need to run the XM through CarPlay.
Old 04-11-24, 07:29 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

The entertainment center has only one audio input/ It works the same for all third party CarPlay systems., You can view CarPlay screens and listen to radio, but cannot hear CarPlay alert or navigation. Otherwise, you will need to use an app in CarPlay for music, internet radio, or XM radio.
Old 04-11-24, 07:35 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

With our kit, you can now leave it in XM radio, fm, or am on the lexus audio source, while showing Carplay screen, and still hear turn by turn directions in the map apps. We allowed the turn by turn audio to transmit though the car's Bluetooth audio as if you are on a phone call.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 04-18-24, 12:16 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the Road Top unit and I not my wife can't stand how you move around the Apple CarPlay interface. It's just plain awful and difficult to navigate without having to try and correct your self almost every single time you want select something you're having to backtrack to where you really wanted to select.

I've installed it three times in my wife's 2019 F-Sport with ML, factory nav and 12" screen. The other day I installed it for the third time to update the firmware from RoadTop and hopefully fix some things but I don't feel it did anything. So I removed it and it's not going back in.

Anyways I spoke with Beat Sonic last night and I asked a specific question about how you navigate.

He said with their system you actually browse around with a pink dot for navigating and selecting items on the screen. This seems to be a much better option than the way the other system was.

Does anyone with that Beat Sonic unit like this method?

Last edited by kitlz; 04-18-24 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-18-24, 02:45 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by whiteghost

He said with their system you actually browse around with a pink dot for navigating and selecting items on the screen. This seems to be a much better option than the way the other system was.
It is called haptic feedback. GROM VLite VT2 and VLine VL2 modules support haptic feedback for CarPlay and Android Auto on all joystick vehicles. This way the cursor will stick to the center of the selection zone and you will feel with your hand the haptic feedback from the joystick. The joystick will "stick" to the selection zone. Same as on all factory screens. This feature is in beta right now and we plan to release next week.
whiteghost (04-18-24)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350