RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-24, 01:26 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PazmanianD
Hello,

I just bought a used 2019(!!) and would really like to add CarPlay. I've seen a number of posts inquiring about GROM VL2 w/CarPlay, but surprisingly very few from users that have actually installed it. Looking for both positives and negatives about VL2 (LEX78VL2). How happy are you with it? Is it missing any needed features?

Thank you!
Thank you for your interest in GROM VLine VL2 system for CarPlay integration into your Lexus RX 2019. We assume the stereo has factory navigation. In such a case, the LEX78VL2 model of GROM VLine VL2 system will work for your stereo. We recently made the installation and usage videos on the Lexus RX 2019 stereo with factory navigation. Install video:

Usage video:

We are happy to answer any questions you may have!

Old 06-11-24, 05:50 PM
PazmanianD
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seeking Your Experience w/VLine2 CarPlay for your 2019 RX w/Nav

[For some reason my new thread twice ended up under an old thread "Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350"... trying one more time]

Hello,

I just bought a used 2019(!!) and would really like to add CarPlay. I've seen a number of posts inquiring about GROM VL2 w/CarPlay, but surprisingly very few from users that have actually installed it. Looking for both positives and negatives about VL2 (LEX78VL2). How happy are you with it? Is it missing any needed features?

Thank you!
Old 06-11-24, 08:11 PM
exploreco
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have it in mine for going on 2 years. Not a perfect system but its gives you AA/Carplay. Tried the Roadtop unit first and sent it back. Had nothing but trouble. I have the Grom unit in my Lexus and Honda. Not as smooth as factory operation but it works pretty well. Can use it wireless or wired, your choice. I don't regret getting it and use it daily. Grom has great customer service and if there are any issues or questions they will help.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (06-19-24)
Old 06-18-24, 01:21 PM
GoBose
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Installing Apple CarPlay 2016-2019

Installed the Grom - Vline VL2.

Very clean cabling design and full Lexus and CarPlay functionality.

You really appreciate the Lexus engineers when you get deep into the bowels of your dash.

Top Tier engineering involves fast, efficient assembly and

Fast, efficient, disassembly.

That's the RX350. No rattles, perfect, tight, fit. Easy to disassemble/reassemble.

The Grom has only 3 needed cables and they are a perfect snap together design.

Initiation went perfect, full functionality. Next AM, pink screen of death. Unplug and reboot. Back in order.

Contacted Grom (only email, no phone) and we'll see what they propose - firmware update?

They responded with a reboot and asked about firmware version - provided.

Waiting to hear back, I'll keep you posted.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/al...n-upgrade.html

The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (06-19-24)
Old 06-22-24, 07:45 AM
GoBose
Driver

Still working through the gremlins.

All software updated after another Pink Screen but the Carplay audio output remains elusive.

Hopefully, this can be corrected but the software option is now complete.

So I tried it this AM and got audio.

Apparently, even if the CarPlay auto connects to your phone via Vline, you must still press the Media - Source - Aux buttons/track pad to get audio.

Sounds great.

So, the lesson, before finalizing everything make sure to check for updates and install them.

Then cycle through the accessory and/or ignition power a few times to make sure that the Vline is functioning and up to date.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-22-24 at 07:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoBose:
gromaudio (06-24-24), PazmanianD (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 02:00 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

The VLine VL2 emulates/ takes over the AUX source in your stereo (Lexus RX 2016-2022 with nav). So if you want to get both the sound and the CarPlay maps, the stereo must be in AUX mode. Some users like to listen to their factory FM and get the CarPlay maps on the screen. In such a case, while the stereo is in FM, press and hold the "MAPS" button for 2-3 seconds (In some cases you will need to use "MENU" instead). You will get the FM sound and CarPlay maps.
To get back to CarPlay sound, change the stereo mode to AUX/VLine.

Lexus RX 2013-2019 with factory nav is compatible with LEX78VL2 / LEX78VT2 model of VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system:
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex78_.html

Lexus RX 2020-2022 with factory nav is compatible with LEX9VL2 / LEX9VT2 model of VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system:
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex9_.html

Old 06-25-24, 02:02 PM
GoBose
Driver

Originally Posted by PazmanianD
[For some reason my new thread twice ended up under an old thread "Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350"... trying one more time]

Hello,

Thank you!
I've recently written on my experience. Please read them over.

The Lexus is a masterful vehicle to work on.

Installation went extremely well. Watch videos by Grom and Sonic Beats for install.

Sonic Beats is great for how to dissemble the dash and stereo head unit.

The Grom has superior cabling design but Sonic Beats is best on the Youtube video.

I had software issues with my Grom Vline2, that really should not have been the case.

But Grom stayed with me and after a couple of updates, etc it works great.

Make sure that Grom has updated their head unit before shipping it to you.

That should be a no-brainer and I paid a bit of a price for it.

The cabling design is a critical factor to me. And I think Grom Vline 2 is the best out there.

Lexus is a joy to work on. Beautifully engineered for disassembly/assembly.

I put my Grom unit behind the kick panel on the passenger left foot side.

That was per Beat Sonic. In my opinion, superior to Grom's glovebox option.

Before final dash assembly make sure that you run the gamut of tests on the unit

Waze, Amazon Music, voice control, wifi, bluetooth, hotspot, etc all function according to spec.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoBose:
gromaudio (06-26-24), PazmanianD (06-25-24)
Old 07-12-24, 02:00 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Default GROUP Buy order for GROM VLine Vl2 system for Lexus RX

Hi all,
We just started the next group buy order for the GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system!

Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until July 19th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order. The VLine VL2 units ordered within this group order period will also receive free Android 12 upgrade sometime in August!

The product will ship from the end of July to mid August.

If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?

The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?

Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website: https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

3. Does the VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system disable any important original stereo functionality?
No, the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system does not disable any important original stereo functionality. Your original cameras, FM radio, climate controls will keep working as the system fully integrates with your original factory car stereo.

The GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2
systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send the request via the web form at
https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

Wireless CarPlay on the factory stereo of Lexus RX 2018 with GROM VLine Vl2 system

wireless Android Auto with GROM VLine VL2 system on Lexus RX 2018 factory stereo

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350