RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 02:25 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well it likely taps into the canbus network on one of those harnesses so it has access to read all those things, its debatable it might even be able to spoof/send button change signals depending how those are wired into the network. Might be fun to dive into that aspect!
Old 02-28-19, 05:10 AM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
I didn't have to do any of that? I signed up via the phone app and it was pretty easy. Though my credit card denied the first try and I had to re-submit the order after informing them it was legit and to expect it.

Seller quickly asked for a pic from my car showing screen and joystick to ensure he got me shipped the right unit. so far so good.
Same. I don't recall needing to send anything

My bank declined first and sent me an automated message. I had to reply to re activate the card.
Old 02-28-19, 05:11 AM
Onion
Driver

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Couple questions while I wait for my package to come:
1) Have you tried wireless carplay mode? I'll assume this isn't going to work but that would be icing on the cake...
2) What integration to the car does android have? I saw one of your pics showed climate control settings from within the settings menu but not if they could be changed or not?

Can't wait to get mine and play.
It's interesting that people don't have wireless carplay want it, and people who have it(BMW) hate it.
Old 02-28-19, 10:03 AM
Enok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Apple CarPlay and Android Auto be added to 2019 RX 350?

I’m planning to buy an suv and Lexus RX 350 is on my shortlist. Only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is that it doesn’t yet support apple car play and Android auto.
I know this will be likely come in the 2020 model but will that same features be retroactively added to the 2019 version is my question. I know Mazda did something similar for CX5 where the 2019 version had it by default and the dealerships were able to add that feature to 2018 models retroactively as it’s a simple firmware update.
Any idea or whispers about something similar happening to 2019 RX 350? I don’t want to be stuck in a new suv without these features for next 10 years
Old 02-28-19, 10:32 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Enok
I’m planning to buy an suv and Lexus RX 350 is on my shortlist. Only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is that it doesn’t yet support apple car play and Android auto.
I know this will be likely come in the 2020 model but will that same features be retroactively added to the 2019 version is my question. I know Mazda did something similar for CX5 where the 2019 version had it by default and the dealerships were able to add that feature to 2018 models retroactively as it’s a simple firmware update.
Any idea or whispers about something similar happening to 2019 RX 350? I don’t want to be stuck in a new suv without these features for next 10 years
I share your frustration in this wait. Mazda's situation is much simpler than what Lexus RX 350. You're better off being patient to see what lexus' answer is to the LX and GS situations. Is a major redesign coming in a year or two ? Take a hard look at RX350's with the depreciation period done (2016's?) and get ready to trade up when the opportunity arises for a better all around car, or look around to the next best available alternatives such as Volvo XC40, CX5 Signature, or Honda Passport, Subaru Ascent, or even Acura RDX Advance. Or go a touch smaller and trick out the UX250h Fsport to max configuration which is a Wards top 10 engine award winner. It really is a lost opportunity for Lexus to properly address an 'interior design' issue during the current generational cycle. I think the RX will borrow from the UX interior design cues worthy of an RX version upgrade.
Old 02-28-19, 10:32 AM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried the unit in a 2013 RX 350? The aliexpress website mentions the 2013 model, but not sure what options / features are available with it.

Thanks for the amazing post, by the way - very, very helpful!
Old 02-28-19, 01:20 PM
4wheeler
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello qvtruong,

Thank you for being so responsive and helping out everybody in the forum. You have been amazing.
I pulled the plug and ordered the box for my birthday. yayyyy!!

I have a few questions so that I am sorted when the box arrives. I have labeled the ports on the head unit below.

Do I need to plug in only the LVDS and power cables? Every other slot is left unplugged?
What about the dangling wires in BT and WiFi - are they needed or to be plugged in some where?

Does the cable from (1) connect with one the cable from LVDS and that connects to the head unit?
How do you connect the screen with android box? Does LVDS split in two and go to screen and head unit. I basically was looking for details on the LVDS wire? Is there room to connect the wires to the screen internally without the wires shown outside.

Where does the power cable connect to the head unit.
Where does the Car Play dongle connect?

Can you play music from your phone via CarPlay with your phone BT off?
You mentioned "The small short white Screen Cable just sit between the original cable and the screen (I think it just rewire the screen cables)." What do you mean?

Thank you again.

Edit - I read your original post:
The connections are fairly simple. The big main power cable will connect to the big connector behind the headunit, and the audio connector in that cable to the 2nd connector next to the big main power. Thankfully you can’t connect it wrong because each has different size matches with the OEM connectors behind the headunit. Just look for the similar size cable, if you are able to conect it, it’s correct.

One 3-prong LVDS cable that has 2 blue ends connect to the one behind the display on the dash (you will see there is the same blue OEM connector). The remaining prong will connect to the android unit. Then a short screen cable that has 2 white connector at each end will connect to the matching connector behind the display (you will see it next to the blue connector).

Can you just explain this with the numbers in my picture below.

Last edited by 4wheeler; 02-28-19 at 01:53 PM. Reason: s
Old 02-28-19, 04:21 PM
Onion
Driver

Originally Posted by Enok
All the Lexus ATM with apple carplay is redesigned/refreshed and the infotainment system is one generation newer. So I don't see older infotainment systems getting it, and that's why I pulled the trigger. On the other hand, Lexus Rx is going to be redesigned for 2020 model year. And the 2020 model will prob have apple carplay and possibly Android auto.
Old 03-02-19, 10:15 PM
Jdawg95
Driver School Candidate

I finally got mine installed today! I’m so excited. Thank you qvtruong! I read all of your detailed posts and instructions.
i have a few questions hope you can help me understand:
1. The android box can install apps via play store, but it needs internet to download apps and use YouTube, etc. Do you use your phone hotspot?
2. There are quite a few cables I end up not using. I hope I’m doing it right, and I’ve no ideas what the remaining cables are for.
3. Some people mentioned the SD card. I didn’t receive the SDcard which is fine. I can buy my own, but what would you use the SD card for? I Want to make sure I’m using all the available functionality !
4. Do you mind DM me your Facebook messenger ?name?

thank you very much!
Old 03-02-19, 10:41 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdawg95
I finally got mine installed today! I’m so excited. Thank you qvtruong! I read all of your detailed posts and instructions.
i have a few questions hope you can help me understand:
1. The android box can install apps via play store, but it needs internet to download apps and use YouTube, etc. Do you use your phone hotspot?
2. There are quite a few cables I end up not using. I hope I’m doing it right, and I’ve no ideas what the remaining cables are for.
3. Some people mentioned the SD card. I didn’t receive the SDcard which is fine. I can buy my own, but what would you use the SD card for? I Want to make sure I’m using all the available functionality !
4. Do you mind DM me your Facebook messenger ?name?

thank you very much!
1. Yes I use my iphone hotspot when I’m on the road. Otherwise, I use my home wifi.

2. Yeah, as long as it works, excess is fine. I didn’t use all the cables provided (I didn't use the DTV, AV, and Touch cable. Refer in my previous posts please )

3. It doesnt come with SD card. You can put one in. It’s useful if you download videos/movies/and so on. Netflix app (refer to previous post as to where to download the old version of netflix) has offline download, which needs lots of storage. I don’t have one cause my main purpose for the box is carplay.

Last edited by qvtruong; 03-02-19 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 10:59 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4wheeler
Hello qvtruong,

Thank you for being so responsive and helping out everybody in the forum. You have been amazing.
I pulled the plug and ordered the box for my birthday. yayyyy!!

I have a few questions so that I am sorted when the box arrives. I have labeled the ports on the head unit below.

Do I need to plug in only the LVDS and power cables? Every other slot is left unplugged?LVDS cable run from the box to the screen. In the back of the screen, there is another short white connector next to the LVDS connector. Unplug it and connect the provided short white cable in between the original connector and the screen. Refer to instruction sheet in post #9
What about the dangling wires in BT and WiFi - are they needed or to be plugged in some where? leave them dangling. They are the antenna for BT & wifi, so don't cut them. The box is metal, so they have to leave it outside the box.

Does the cable from (1) connect with one the cable from LVDS and that connects to the head unit? No. the LVDS cable is blue, which connect the box to the screen. See post #9. It shows how the box connects to the head unit and the screen.
How do you connect the screen with android box? LVDS cable. Does LVDS split in two and go to screen and head unit. one end goes to the box, the other end with 2 connectors: one connects to the screen, and one plugs to the original connector that you just unplugged from the screen I basically was looking for details on the LVDS wire? See post #9. Is there room to connect the wires to the screen internally without the wires shown outside. everything is hidden for me.

Where does the power cable connect to the head unit. (1) in your picture. It's the biggest cable in the package.
Where does the Car Play dongle connect? to the box, via USB cable provided in the package

Can you play music from your phone via CarPlay with your phone BT off? Yes, cause the iphone transfers data via the USB cable, through the dongle, to the box.
You mentioned "The small short white Screen Cable just sit between the original cable and the screen (I think it just rewire the screen cables)." What do you mean? it just sit between the original cable that you just unplugged from the screen and the screen. It has its own purpose, but not sure.

Thank you again.

Edit - I read your original post:
The connections are fairly simple. The big main power cable will connect to the big connector behind the headunit, and the audio connector in that cable to the 2nd connector next to the big main power. Thankfully you can’t connect it wrong because each has different size matches with the OEM connectors behind the headunit. Just look for the similar size cable, if you are able to conect it, it’s correct.

One 3-prong LVDS cable that has 2 blue ends connect to the one behind the display on the dash (you will see there is the same blue OEM connector). The remaining prong will connect to the android unit. Then a short screen cable that has 2 white connector at each end will connect to the matching connector behind the display (you will see it next to the blue connector).

Can you just explain this with the numbers in my picture below.

(1) connect provided power cable here and to the box. Connect the OEM connector you just unplugged to the connector on power cable. See post #9
(2) or (5) connects to the other connector on the provided power cable. Either 2 or 5, I don't remember correctly, but the connector on the power cable only fits to one of them.
Nothing else is connected to the headunit.

Please see my response in red

Last edited by qvtruong; 03-02-19 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 03:53 PM
Jdawg95
Driver School Candidate

Can I ask a silly question? everything is working fine now and I'm putting back all the stuff together now. Where do you hide the android box? i can't find enough space behind the headunit. Where do you all hide your android box?
Old 03-03-19, 04:09 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Can I ask a silly question? everything is working fine now and I'm putting back all the stuff together now. Where do you hide the android box? i can't find enough space behind the headunit. Where do you all hide your android box?
I dropped it in the tunnel behind the headunit. Use your hand to reach all the way in and you will feel there is a tunnel. I dropped about 3/4th of the box in there, enough to push the headunit in.
Old 03-03-19, 04:43 PM
Jdawg95
Driver School Candidate

I see you have the usb cable, white usb adapter all hanging on the side of the car seat, is there option to hide the cables? either in the glove box or the center armrest? I'm trying to find a spot to hide it, but not sure which way is easier.
Old 03-03-19, 05:09 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

I see you have the usb cable, white usb adapter all hanging on the side of the car seat, is there option to hide the cables? either in the glove box or the center armrest? I'm trying to find a spot to hide it, but not sure which way is easier.
you can try to run it under center console. I was lazy to hide it

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350