RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 04:46 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jjj666
Thanks to qvtruong and Bearcat! I have the unit installed on 16 model and use aux. But seems I have a problem. If I put the display to android mode by pressing the hang up for 3 seconds when in parking, then I shift to reverse, the display shows the reverse camera, but then if I switch to driving mode after that, the display go back to lexus display instead the android display, I have to press the hang up for 3 seconds again. Is this normal? Can I have the android be displayed after reverse? Thanks!
Mine goes back to android after reversing/birds eyes view without any issues. I'm not sure why yours goes back to lexus screen tho.
Old 04-20-19, 04:56 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Mine goes back to android after reversing/birds eyes view without any issues. I'm not sure why yours goes back to lexus screen tho.
Thanks! Strange, not sure if I installed something wrong? I will try take out tomorrow to check
Old 04-20-19, 06:11 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! Strange, not sure if I installed something wrong? I will try take out tomorrow to check
Are all dip switches up? I tried with the 3rd one down and things seem better now.
Old 04-20-19, 06:14 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Are all dip switches up? I tried with the 3rd one down and things seem better now.
i don’t remember exactly, but I didn’t touch the dips and installed directly after taking out of the box. I will take out tomorrow and check

thanks!
Old 04-20-19, 07:29 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

that was my recommendation
The following users liked this post:
Gottspd (04-21-19)
Old 04-21-19, 06:35 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
any ideas as to what the dip switches do?
Old 04-21-19, 10:42 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bearcat
its indeed the dip problem. I didn’t change any dip after receiving it and installed. After taking out again today, I found the 2nd dip is at the L position instead of the 3rd dip, after switched to the 3rd, everything works now.

Thanks everyone for all the helps.
but I did a factory reset of the android, now I lost the CarPlay app, how do I install it?
Old 04-21-19, 11:34 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

its indeed the dip problem. I didn’t change any dip after receiving it and installed. After taking out again today, I found the 2nd dip is at the L position instead of the 3rd dip, after switched to the 3rd, everything works now.

Thanks everyone for all the helps.
but I did a factory reset of the android, now I lost the CarPlay app, how do I install it?
please contact the seller. He will have the installation file.
Old 04-21-19, 11:41 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Originally Posted by qvtruong
please contact the seller. He will have the installation file.
OK, thanks so much! Great helps!
Old 04-21-19, 05:28 PM
jjj666
Rookie

any ideas as to what the dip switches do?
The user manual has the info about the dip switches. Attached is the related page
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dip switch.pdf (1.47 MB, 352 views)
Old 04-22-19, 08:57 AM
Archryhntn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read someplace in this thread that unit comes with a gps antenna. Can I assume that navigation would could be used as a stand alone feature? All my wife is interested in is being able to use nav either Wase or google with the 8" screen of the car.
Can someone take the time to run through the process from starting up the car to getting to navigation? Is it a lot of button pushes? Also can you still answer and hang up phone and listen to music?
Thanks
Old 04-22-19, 10:01 AM
jjj666
Rookie

One more thing I did, is to switch the left and right sound channel wires. David from the company send me the attached photo, and following this the sound channels work fine now.

The following users liked this post:
shadowmite (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 10:17 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Originally Posted by Archryhntn
I read someplace in this thread that unit comes with a gps antenna. Can I assume that navigation would could be used as a stand alone feature? All my wife is interested in is being able to use nav either Wase or google with the 8" screen of the car.
Can someone take the time to run through the process from starting up the car to getting to navigation? Is it a lot of button pushes? Also can you still answer and hang up phone and listen to music?
Thanks
i can use google map and Waze coming with the android box. While using it I can still listen to the music. I am using the touch pad mouse to select in the android interface. I didn’t test phone call, so not sure if phone call works or not while using it
Old 04-24-19, 11:55 AM
asx32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a promotion last month on AliExpress so I could get it with carplay dongle at $461.25 + $25 shipping. The box arrived last week and was installed last night. This is my first DIY project and took 4 hours to finish. Start/Stop switch removal (finally gave up) and finding out good wiring/box positions took the most time. This thread was really helpful to figure out almost all the things I needed. Haven't tested thoroughly yet but at least I could get Waze work from my Galaxy Note 8 through Android Auto.

As I got valuable information from here, wanted to share my experience with others:
  • Panel removal is mostly very straightforward after watching Youtube video posted here (by indiwork). One exception was Start/Stop switch. I wasted an hour figuring out how to pop it out from the panel and finally gave up. I was very anxious about damaging the cable maybe that's why. I just tucked that panel on the turn signal lever. Still you have access to the 10mm bolt to the head unit.
  • As other forum members mentioned, be extra cautious when removing two 10mm bolts from the head unit. I dropped the right bolt and couldn't recover it. Fortunately it didn't rattle during the 5 minute test drive but who knows.
  • Also there is another IS 350 Lsailt box installation video that was useful for wiring. In my case the head unit didn't come out that far like the video. I removed the analog clock power cable and that gave better head unit access.
  • For LVDS and GPS wires I put them through the space between the two AC vents.

And few questions for whom already installed it:
  • I really couldn't find a decent flat place to attach Lsailt box with the included velcro stickers. Instead I put all four them (two stickers of two sides) on the box to prevent potential metal noise from it, and pushed it inside as far as possible so that the head unit can be reassembled. So it's basically buried inside wires. Is there a better way to place it?
  • 12.3 inch screen back cover felt a bit too tight when reassembled. Still not too much effort to put it back on but have you guys felt the same?
  • Waze (through Android Auto) no voice guidance. I can hear Pandora music though. Any suggestions?
  • What are the box upgrade options - I might try mobile hotspot later but is there a way to download latest updates to a USB stick and connect to the USB cable from the box?
Old 04-24-19, 02:04 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Originally Posted by asx32
There was a promotion last month on AliExpress so I could get it with carplay dongle at $461.25 + $25 shipping. The box arrived last week and was installed last night. This is my first DIY project and took 4 hours to finish. Start/Stop switch removal (finally gave up) and finding out good wiring/box positions took the most time. This thread was really helpful to figure out almost all the things I needed. Haven't tested thoroughly yet but at least I could get Waze work from my Galaxy Note 8 through Android Auto.

As I got valuable information from here, wanted to share my experience with others:
  • Panel removal is mostly very straightforward after watching Youtube video posted here (by indiwork). One exception was Start/Stop switch. I wasted an hour figuring out how to pop it out from the panel and finally gave up. I was very anxious about damaging the cable maybe that's why. I just tucked that panel on the turn signal lever. Still you have access to the 10mm bolt to the head unit.
  • As other forum members mentioned, be extra cautious when removing two 10mm bolts from the head unit. I dropped the right bolt and couldn't recover it. Fortunately it didn't rattle during the 5 minute test drive but who knows.
  • Also there is another IS 350 Lsailt box installation video that was useful for wiring. In my case the head unit didn't come out that far like the video. I removed the analog clock power cable and that gave better head unit access.
  • For LVDS and GPS wires I put them through the space between the two AC vents.

And few questions for whom already installed it:
  • I really couldn't find a decent flat place to attach Lsailt box with the included velcro stickers. Instead I put all four them (two stickers of two sides) on the box to prevent potential metal noise from it, and pushed it inside as far as possible so that the head unit can be reassembled. So it's basically buried inside wires. Is there a better way to place it?
  • 12.3 inch screen back cover felt a bit too tight when reassembled. Still not too much effort to put it back on but have you guys felt the same?
  • Waze (through Android Auto) no voice guidance. I can hear Pandora music though. Any suggestions?
  • What are the box upgrade options - I might try mobile hotspot later but is there a way to download latest updates to a USB stick and connect to the USB cable from the box?
Yes, need be very careful with the 2 10mm bolts. I bought one magnetic tool just for this. The start/stop button is easy to get out by pressing the releasing clip and pulling out the plug.

Me too, didn't know where to put the box, and I just dropped in the tunnel behind the radio buttons, not sure if it's ok? My waze and google maps using iPhone work no problem. I don't have android phone to test android auto.

I connected the box using WiFi and updated the software through the upgrade inside the interface. It needs password and can get from the seller.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350