RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 10:26 AM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
I don't think you will break things. You can do it!!! Just slowly figure things out and don't rush.

The worst thing you might lose is the two head unit screws/bolts (as other people also mentioned). Use a magnetic screw driver, or be prepare for a trip to a lexus dealer to buy new screws (they are a couple bucks each).
A trick I used since I did not have a 10’m magnetic socket - use a small piece of paper/tape etc. to tighten the connection between the screw and the socket wrench. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-28-19, 10:46 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishfxm
Looking at purchasing a used 2018 RX 350 from dealer with 9600 miles.

I believe this model has WIFI as part of Enform package?
Does anyone know if this year/model supports Apple CarPlay or if not on this model at dealer’s if it can be downloaded for a reasonable charge and if it is stable?
Rules of thumb, if it still has the ugly Enform 1.0 interface, it cannot be upgradable by the dealership. Nothing you or lexus can do.

2020 model might have upgraded headunit as its due for a refresh.
Old 05-28-19, 11:32 AM
his989
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response, everyone!

Will give this a try soon. I've been using the RX350 for a couple of days, and I already hate Enform 1 Infotainment. Apple Carplay upgrade must happen!!
The following users liked this post:
emhriv (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 12:59 PM
kri
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have been following this thread for a while and found it really helpful. I'm looking into buying one once the wireless carplay come out. But before that I have some questions that I wish someone could help with.

1. Can I put the android box in the glove box instead of the tunnel behind the vent? It could be easier for future access.
2. If I only use the carplay function, is it necessary to install the GPS antenna? I assume carplay is using the GPS from the cellphone?
3. Can I also drop off the speaker if I will use the AUX?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-29-19, 01:50 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kri
Hey guys, I have been following this thread for a while and found it really helpful. I'm looking into buying one once the wireless carplay come out. But before that I have some questions that I wish someone could help with.

1. Can I put the android box in the glove box instead of the tunnel behind the vent? It could be easier for future access.
2. If I only use the carplay function, is it necessary to install the GPS antenna? I assume carplay is using the GPS from the cellphone?
3. Can I also drop off the speaker if I will use the AUX?

Any help is appreciated!
1. Yes, you can route the wires to the glovebox. I did it once, but I didnt like it in the gloves box with all the wires.

2. I’m not sure if CarPlay use iPhone GPS when the andrpid box doesnt have GPS. Can you try and let me know please? If the nav is more accurate using iPhone GPS, I’ll do the same.

3. Yes. In fact, I didnt install the small speaker to my android box since I use AUX.
Old 05-29-19, 06:53 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Update on the Wireless CarPlay dongle: They shipped my order today. I’ll get it in about 2-3 weeks :-)
Old 05-29-19, 06:57 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update on the Wireless CarPlay dongle: They shipped my order today. I’ll get it in about 2-3 weeks :-)
How to buy it? Any link? Thanks!
Old 05-29-19, 06:59 PM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

can anyone confirm if they noticed the same split screen behavior as me? my reverse camera and setup menu is split screen. Both were fullscreen before

Reverse camera is now split screen; was full screen before
Old 05-29-19, 07:02 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmare
can anyone confirm if they noticed the same split screen behavior as me? my reverse camera and setup menu is split screen. Both were fullscreen before

Mine looks the same as yours, in split. Not sure if it was full before I put the unit, didn’t pay attention to this
Old 05-29-19, 07:11 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kmare

Mine with birds eye view never has full screen.
Old 05-30-19, 10:15 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

They said they cannot add the wireless carplay option to the current android box post on Aliexpress while the sales is ongoing (It's Aliexpress limitation). In order to change the post and add the wireless carplay option, they have to wait until after the sale event.
I actually contacted them over wechat and they sent the invite via email and pay via PayPal to avoid AliExpress platform fees and it ends being cheaper for me for $460 shipped with wireless CarPlay option.
Old 05-31-19, 11:56 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
I actually contacted them over wechat and they sent the invite via email and pay via PayPal to avoid AliExpress platform fees and it ends being cheaper for me for $460 shipped with wireless CarPlay option.
That's nice.

Yeah they are trusted company, and they actually do R&D in house. That's why I don't hesitate supporting their products, to help small business like them.
Old 06-01-19, 08:03 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

BTW, I spoke with Cosmo and the GPS module is not necessary for CarPlay, so I just removed it.
Old 06-01-19, 08:26 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bearcat
BTW, I spoke with Cosmo and the GPS module is not necessary for CarPlay, so I just removed it.
I removed the GPS. The Carplay location now works more accurate and pick up signal better.
Old 06-03-19, 11:01 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

NEWS

Upcoming iOS 13 has completely redesigned the CarPlay interface. I will post some screenshots once I get my hand on the iOs 13 beta.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350