RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 06:59 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottspd
I’ll try this. I did change the aux to external and call quality through carplay via the box is still very poor. My first call with it, the person on the other end said “I can hear myself talking” and then I switched it to the Lexus BT and that worked fine. So I’m a bit concerned about trying to rely on the box for calls. I’ll give it a go however.
I had that exact feedback issue before doing the bt reset so it should also be resolved after your do your bt reset. Remember it is important to delete your phone from inside the lexus factory system as well (*very important) .

Also make sure you plug in the 3.5 MM jack loopback terminal that came your android box kit for aux/external audio to work properly.

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350-wxtfhm9l.jpg

Last edited by joeguan3rx; 06-24-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 07:09 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Joe. I turned off the BT in the car, but I'll also delete the phone. Also, I'll look for that doohicky. I hope I still have it. I don't recall seeing that elsewhere in this thread... But it makes sense. You know what's weird, when i look at the BT connections, everything is working but it says that the BT to the box isn't connected, yet, I'm still able to see and hear everything. No cable is connected to the phone either... Strange, huh?
Old 06-24-19, 07:12 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Thanks Joe. I turned off the BT in the car, but I'll also delete the phone. Also, I'll look for that doohicky. I hope I still have it. I don't recall seeing that elsewhere in this thread... But it makes sense. You know what's weird, when i look at the BT connections, everything is working but it says that the BT to the box isn't connected, yet, I'm still able to see and hear everything. No cable is connected to the phone either... Strange, huh?
it is normal to see bt not connected after wireless carplay is established. BT is used for signalling and carplay data is transmitted over wifi from phone to the dongle. you should see your phone wifi connected to the dongle wifi as Autobox-****.
Old 06-24-19, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Question, are you guys installing the external speaker?
Old 06-24-19, 08:04 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Question, are you guys installing the external speaker?

Nope, that's not necessary.
Old 06-24-19, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Didn't think so, thanks. I'm going to have mine professionally installed, plan on just using the wired connection not the wireless connection.
Old 06-24-19, 08:29 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Didn't think so, thanks. I'm going to have mine professionally installed, plan on just using the wired connection not the wireless connection.
The wireless dongle support both wired and wireless connection so I advise on getting the wireless module to begin with.
Old 06-24-19, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah thats what I got
Old 06-24-19, 03:44 PM
hnamanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have to say that I’m pretty disappointed in this device. I had my first lengthy drive (5+) hours each way with the device installed and it was horribly unreliable. In fact it was so poor that I ended up just using the standard Lexus interface for most of the drive home. The problem was that every few minutes it would lose the connection and I’d be staring at the connect the device screen. Cosmo, the idea behind this is great but in that I have over $600 in it plus a load of time, well, I’m frustrated.
The issue is not the phone connecting to the carplay dongle but the carplay dongle loosing connection to the android box. I'm still waiting for Cosmo to get back with me. He is aware of the issue and replicated it in his testing. This is like an on off situation. Sometimes the connection is fine and the next is disconnecting and connecting.
Old 06-24-19, 05:34 PM
hnamanh
Driver School Candidate

I just checked for update and there’s an update for the CarPlay dongle that dated today. Going to update and see if that helps.
Old 06-24-19, 06:24 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by hnamanh
The issue is not the phone connecting to the carplay dongle but the carplay dongle loosing connection to the android box. I'm still waiting for Cosmo to get back with me. He is aware of the issue and replicated it in his testing. This is like an on off situation. Sometimes the connection is fine and the next is disconnecting and connecting.
Cosmo recommended not to have bt paired with android box if you are doing carplay wireless. P
Old 06-24-19, 06:52 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by hnamanh
I just checked for update and there’s an update for the CarPlay dongle that dated today. Going to update and see if that helps.
Yup Cosmo said definitely should update the newer carplay firmware to improve stability.
Old 06-24-19, 08:03 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hello all,

Cosmo just texted me and informed me of the new update to fix the wireless CarPlay connectivity issue that we have all been experiencing

I will download it, test it out, and report back

I currently have about 1-2 disconnects per drive (20-45 min drives), but the wireless dongle usually reconnects by itself within 10 seconds (I don't have to touch my phone or anything)

Hopefully this new update will strengthen the wireless connection so that there are zero disconnects

As for phone calls, I have tested phone calls through the CarPlay interface and my calls have been crystal clear from both ends

As others have mentioned, remove the Lexus RX Bluetooth profile from your iPhone and also remove the phone from your RX's Bluetooth Source screen

Also, I currently have an Apple Watch connected to my phone and my phone connects to CarPlay perfectly fine
Old 06-24-19, 08:09 PM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Versions

What's the difference between version 7.4.3 and 7.4.5H? I'm looking at buying one for a 2017 RX 350 F Sport. The AliExpress Lsailt store is quite confusing regarding this information. If there is a more up-to-date version available, is it really necessary?
Old 06-24-19, 08:17 PM
hnamanh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
The wireless dongle support both wired and wireless connection so I advise on getting the wireless module to begin with.
Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
Cosmo recommended not to have bt paired with android box if you are doing carplay wireless. P
Yes, I'm aware of that and did that already.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350