RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 08:19 PM
hnamanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
Yup Cosmo said definitely should update the newer carplay firmware to improve stability.
I was working and rerouting my android box to my glove box earlier. Afterwards checked for updates and that's the picture I sent to Cosmo. I don't have a RX 350 but I have it installed in a GS 350 F Sport.
Old 06-24-19, 08:45 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

He told me to post it, but I guess i’m late to the party hahaha
Old 06-24-19, 08:45 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hnamanh
I was working and rerouting my android box to my glove box earlier. Afterwards checked for updates and that's the picture I sent to Cosmo. I don't have a RX 350 but I have it installed in a GS 350 F Sport.
Yup that was funny how he relayed your picture to me. He said they have testing it more than two weeks and seem improvements in stability. But I am glad we have someone actively working on improving their product.

In related thoughts, I would be happy if Lexus/Toyota just provided map updates while under warranty instead of selling me a 2019 model with a 2016 map.
Old 06-24-19, 09:09 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using the wireless dongle for the past few weeks. Same as others here, connection stability is an issue. It is interesting that my connection stability became worse after I removed the BT connections (car and phone) and reset the phone networks. Lesson learned, if something ain’t terribly broken don’t fix it.

Was using the map navigation tonight and experienced a noticeable delay of the GPS location update, sometimes 5-10 seconds. I remember someone mentioned this before. My setup - box GPS antenna sits on 5x5” aluminum foiled cardboard on top of the air vent ducts (as was recommended by @qvtruong ) iPhone XS latest iOS. Wireless dongle.

Any ideas? Should I just get rid of the box GPS antenna?
Old 06-24-19, 09:22 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by emhriv
I have been using the wireless dongle for the past few weeks. Same as others here, connection stability is an issue. It is interesting that my connection stability became worse after I removed the BT connections (car and phone) and reset the phone networks. Lesson learned, if something ain’t terribly broken don’t fix it.

Was using the map navigation tonight and experienced a noticeable delay of the GPS location update, sometimes 5-10 seconds. I remember someone mentioned this before. My setup - box GPS antenna sits on 5x5” aluminum foiled cardboard on top of the air vent ducts (as was recommended by @qvtruong ) iPhone XS latest iOS. Wireless dongle.

Any ideas? Should I just get rid of the box GPS antenna?

If you’re just using Carplay solely, I would recommend removing the box’s GPS antenna. I think because one is more accurate than the other, it causes the conflict between 2 source of data.

I removed the box’s GPS and Carplay uses my iphone’s GPS solely. The navigation and turns are more accurate and smoother now. It can even shows whether I’m on left side or right side of the road.
The following users liked this post:
emhriv (06-24-19)
Old 06-24-19, 09:30 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
If you’re just using Carplay solely, I would recommend removing the box’s GPS antenna. I think because one is more accurate than the other, it causes the conflict between 2 source of data.

I removed the box’s GPS and Carplay uses my iphone’s GPS solely. The navigation and turns are more accurate and smoother now. It can even shows whether I’m on left side or right side of the road.
Thanks for the quick answer. Will do that and report back.
Old 06-25-19, 12:11 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I installed the wireless connectivity stability update last night...

And I did about 4 different driving sessions this morning, ranging from 20-30 minutes each session...

And I'm happy to report that my wireless CarPlay stayed connected the ENTIRE time on each of my driving sessions! No disconnect whatsoever 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Old 06-25-19, 02:42 PM
hnamanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leedoobert
So I installed the wireless connectivity stability update last night...

And I did about 4 different driving sessions this morning, ranging from 20-30 minutes each session...

And I'm happy to report that my wireless CarPlay stayed connected the ENTIRE time on each of my driving sessions! No disconnect whatsoever 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Yes, I have to agree with you on this. Did about the same 4 driving sessions and it’s solid.
The following users liked this post:
leedoobert (06-25-19)
Old 06-25-19, 06:02 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed the update and now the music sounds poor. It’s very “clipped.” Anyone else with this issue?
Old 06-25-19, 06:57 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Installed the update and now the music sounds poor. It’s very “clipped.” Anyone else with this issue?
How are you playing your music? Streaming from an iOS app?
Old 06-25-19, 06:58 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pandora.... and Amazon music was the same

Last edited by Gottspd; 06-25-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 07:09 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Have you tried using another app to see if there is a difference in sound quality? I am currently using Spotify and Apple Music and they both sound fine

I read online somewhere that Pandora in CarPlay had some issues...
Old 06-25-19, 09:50 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hnamanh
Yes, I have to agree with you on this. Did about the same 4 driving sessions and it’s solid.
Agreed! So happy.
Old 06-25-19, 10:14 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Asking for Cosmo: anyone here has issue with the AutoPlay app get frozen even though music are still playing?

I have that issue and he wonders if it's a widesperad issue.
Old 06-26-19, 01:29 AM
garyclee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Asking for Cosmo: anyone here has issue with the AutoPlay app get frozen even though music are still playing?

I have that issue and he wonders if it's a widesperad issue.
I just installed mine and the screen keeps going black but the music is still playing. Sometimes the CarPlay screen appears, sometimes it does not, just a black screen.

I have the wireless dongle. I cannot even get it to show the android interface.

Black screen

Black and blue screen

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350