RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 06:42 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do turn off bt on the box itself?
Old 06-27-19, 07:11 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Ack!!!! I did what you said... uninstalled autoplay and it’s gone but when I went to app upgrade it says no app to upgrade!!

now carplay is gone

Last edited by Gottspd; 06-27-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 07:21 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Ack!!!! I did what you said... uninstalled autoplay and it’s gone but when I went to app upgrade it says no app to upgrade!!

now carplay is gone
Sorry, not sure why they changed their mind...but I DM you with the link to redownload it. Then just go to the carplay app and update from there.
Old 06-27-19, 08:14 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Ok well after a little anxiety I’m back to where I started. So.... how do you turn off the bt on the box?
Old 06-27-19, 08:15 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Ok well after a little anxiety I’m back to where I started. So.... how do you turn off the bt on the box?
Good to hear that 😁

Regarding the bluetooth, not that I know of.

i didnt turn it off, I just leave it there not connecting to anything
Old 06-28-19, 05:27 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Sorry, Cosmo said the developer decided to take it offline...inno why
What’s been took offline?
Old 06-28-19, 06:16 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjj666
What’s been took offline?
There was a wireless carplay app update
Old 06-28-19, 02:09 PM
zaibrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leedoobert
Finally got a chance to install my unit today on my 2019 RX350 F-Sport

Everything is working great so far!

Hi,

I just bought my car last week and ordered box. I have got it today and I checked with couple of places for getting this installed. They are quoting me around 100 to 150 for the job each time they work on it. I have never done this type of work on any cars. But checking thread there are different issues for all. So I think its better I do it myself as I would learn and be able to troubleshoot in future.

Has anyone of you have used Ground Plate for GPS {Carboard+Aluminium Tape} and where did you place it ? I want to use both Android box standalone GPS and Car Play/ Andriod Auto GPS to work based on what I am using. I see others mostly using only CarPlay GPS which uses Iphone GPS But I am using Google Pixel which has USB C possibly will use Android Auto.

From various videos I gathered list of tools needed

20 PC SAE/metric Craftsmen set from Lowes { Will this be enough and Magnetic Extender ?}
Socket Wrench with Extender for 10mm
Masking Tape
Blanket
Panel Removal Tool ( Can you guys Specify which one is the best )
Cardboard and Aluminum Foil Tape for GPS
90080-11699 2 Bolts ( Backup if we loose any )

Last edited by zaibrock; 06-28-19 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 03:21 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
There was a wireless carplay app update
Any idea how to get that update? Is there a different link/way?
Old 06-28-19, 03:23 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zaibrock
Hi,

I just bought my car last week and ordered box. I have got it today and I checked with couple of places for getting this installed. They are quoting me around 100 to 150 for the job each time they work on it. I have never done this type of work on any cars. But checking thread there are different issues for all. So I think its better I do it myself as I would learn and be able to troubleshoot in future.

Has anyone of you have used Ground Plate for GPS {Carboard+Aluminium Tape} and where did you place it ? I want to use both Android box standalone GPS and Car Play/ Andriod Auto GPS to work based on what I am using. I see others mostly using only CarPlay GPS which uses Iphone GPS But I am using Google Pixel which has USB C possibly will use Android Auto.

From various videos I gathered list of tools needed

20 PC SAE/metric Craftsmen set from Lowes { Will this be enough and Magnetic Extender ?}
Socket Wrench with Extender for 10mm
Masking Tape
Blanket
Panel Removal Tool ( Can you guys Specify which one is the best )
Cardboard and Aluminum Foil Tape for GPS
90080-11699 2 Bolts ( Backup if we loose any )
I used a ground plate for the GPS. 3x3” cardboard wrapped twice in aluminum foil. Placed it on top of the vent ducts coming out of the car on you picture.

i also noticed, once, that the GPS location was not updating fast while using Apple maps. Per qvtruong it may be because the day from the car play and the box GPS is conflicting. Haven’t tried to disconnect the box GPS and see how the location update behaves
Old 06-28-19, 07:23 PM
Gottspd
Driver

So I’ve got the aux plug plugged in, aux set to external and yet the call quality is terrible. Since I disconnected the bt connection from the Lexus to the phone, I had to move a call from carplay to speakerphone because the caller couldn’t here me and said they could hear their own echo. It’s a nice device otherwise (though the sound for music is all kinds of messed up on ios13 currently) but for phone calls, it’s unacceptably bad for me.
Old 06-28-19, 07:33 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

So I’ve got the aux plug plugged in, aux set to external and yet the call quality is terrible. Since I disconnected the bt connection from the Lexus to the phone, I had to move a call from carplay to speakerphone because the caller couldn’t here me and said they could hear their own echo. It’s a nice device otherwise (though the sound for music is all kinds of messed up on ios13 currently) but for phone calls, it’s unacceptably bad for me.
@Gottspd what kind of plug is this for the aux? I tried to find it on Amazon but no luck. Not sure what a loop-back 3.5 jack is?
Old 06-28-19, 07:35 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Originally Posted by emhriv
@Gottspd what kind of plug is this for the aux? I tried to find it on Amazon but no luck. Not sure what a loop-back 3.5 jack is?
Hi. It came with your android box. It plugs into the 3.5 aux cable in the center console box next to the USB ports.
Old 06-28-19, 07:43 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

I love my wireless set up on 2016 RX350 no-nav.

Display with touch screen. Works like a charm

Wirelss charging station that fits like a glove in the space below the head unit. Also fits the XS perfectly. Has a lip to prevent slipping.

From amazon:
1. Ainope Car Charger, 4.8A Aluminum Alloy Car Charger Adapter Dual USB Port Fast Car Charging Mini Flush Fit Compatible iPhone Xs max/XR/x/7/6s, iPad Air 2/Mini 3, Note 9/Galaxy S10/S9/S8 – Black
2. UCEC USB 2.0 Extension Cable - Left Angle A Male to Female - 0.7 Feet (20cm)
3. Wireless Charger car Wireless Charging pad qi 10W Quick Charger Thin Wireless car Charger Charging pad Wireless Phone Charger 7.5W/5W Wireless Charging Station Dock glaxys9 Charger s8 s6s7 note8(C3)

i also routed the USB from the box to the arm wrest box

The following users liked this post:
leedoobert (06-29-19)
Old 06-28-19, 07:46 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Hi. It came with your android box. It plugs into the 3.5 aux cable in the center console box next to the USB ports.
Thanks! I don’t think I had one. Checked all the pics that I took of the contents of the box.
Maybe the box setup and contents is different for non-nav RX models.
I know my box didn’t have DIP switches.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350