RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 06:27 PM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondoan
Anyone in Australia installed android box yet?
No, but I'm about to in a 2017 F Sport. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-17-19, 08:36 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About the interface frozen, I had several times so far since using the wireless carplay, it seems due to the disconnect of the Bluetooth. After reconnecting the Bluetooth, the interface works again. But I don't know what caused the disconnection. Could be due to my use of VPN. I am trying to not use VPN to see if I still get frozen.
Old 07-18-19, 12:38 PM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sondoan
Anyone in Australia installed android box yet?
Yes, it works on an F-Sport 2017; 12" display with ML. I purchased the latest version with Android 7.0 and wireless Carplay.

The biggest issue I've noticed so far is that the steering lines on the park assist display aren't working. There are a few smaller issues I'm yet to resolve.
Old 07-19-19, 06:49 PM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to modify the menu screen?

Fault with steering lines after install.

Why can't we use these buttons to zoom?

Originally Posted by COSMOXIONG
Hi, I just record a simple video to show how to fix 2 problems mostly appear recently.

1. The cursor disappear
2. press the autoplay and it said autoplay does not set.

The answer is in the video: https://youtu.be/lFDsqD5DSLI

And for more setting and connect on wireless carplay, please take a look at here: https://youtu.be/MjMNZ31-odQ
Hi Cosmo,

Overall, the system works very well. Here are a few issues with a RHD RX 350, 2017 F-Sport with 12.3" display and ML.

1. No steering lines on the parking display after install.
2. Using the native android interface, there is no way to zoom on a map such as Google Maps. Why can't we use these buttons to zoom?
3. Is there a way to reorder/delete/add Apps on the menu display?
Old 07-24-19, 01:17 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedroski

Is there a way to modify the menu screen?

Fault with steering lines after install.

Why can't we use these buttons to zoom?

Hi Cosmo,

Overall, the system works very well. Here are a few issues with a RHD RX 350, 2017 F-Sport with 12.3" display and ML.

1. No steering lines on the parking display after install.
2. Using the native android interface, there is no way to zoom on a map such as Google Maps. Why can't we use these buttons to zoom?
3. Is there a way to reorder/delete/add Apps on the menu display?
For No.1 did you try to move the steering wheel all the way to the left and all the way to the right? I remember having this issue after changing the battery in the car. Can't remember exactly what you have to do but something alone the line.
Old 07-25-19, 06:55 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Instead of reading this whole thread can someone plz give me a run down on the cons of the apple CarPlay for a 2017 RX with Mark Levinson? I’m sold on car play after trying it on the 2019 ES, will it function similar to stock? Are there any major differences? Will anything stop working? I read for Android the parking lines went away? That is something that would make me not purchase it.
Old 07-25-19, 01:56 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Instead of reading this whole thread can someone plz give me a run down on the cons of the apple CarPlay for a 2017 RX with Mark Levinson? I’m sold on car play after trying it on the 2019 ES, will it function similar to stock? Are there any major differences? Will anything stop working? I read for Android the parking lines went away? That is something that would make me not purchase it.
x2

A comprehensive summary in a single post would be awesome! I've read every post in this thread but there's a lot of bouncing around and it makes me hesitant to purchase.

A cons & pros summary would go a long way.
Old 07-30-19, 01:46 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

New carplay dongle and app upgrade

notable update:
fixes the cracking music on ios 13
utilize new ios 13 feature which uses the Car’s microphone to activate hey siri (instead of the phone’s microphone)

Last edited by qvtruong; 07-30-19 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 02:05 AM
garyclee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottspd
I’ve given up on this. I had to add Lexus bt back and when I need to make a call, I click Lexus bt on the phone instead of the box because the call quality via the box is so bad on mine that it’s basically useless. Cosmo????
I have the same issue. The person on the other end complains about a lot of background noise/echo/noisy when making calls via wireless carplay. I have already deleted my phone from the Lexus Factory system and my phone. It is only connected to autoplay. In fact, I completely switched the Lexus Bluetooth system to off. This happens regardless of whether or not the 3.5mm thing is plugged in. It is set to External playback. Cosmo does not know of the issue and cannot replicate.

Detailed specs:
iPhone XS Max running iOS 12.4
Android 7.0 box using wireless carplay
12.3" Navigation screen with Mark Levison
2017 RX450h F Sport
USA
Old 08-01-19, 12:56 PM
mossytrees
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Install location, accessible without removing head unit

Wow, long thread. A couple people have asked about placement for the box. Seems like most people are sliding it in vertically behind the factory head unit (and have to remove the head unit to get to the box).

There is a really nice space directly below the head unit, accessible from the passenger's footwell.

Just go into the footwell and pull on the bottom of the panel where it turns to follow the footwell up towards the firewall. There is a retainer clip at the very far right edge where the panel ends that should come out (or you may need to work it loose... I didn't bother reinstalling mine yet)

The whole front section of panel there is pretty flexible. For the next photo I just pulled out a few inches to make room for my phone to go on the inside of the panel and take the picture. For now I have the box and wiring just sitting there... but there is plenty of space and flat area to use the included velcro.

All the harness wiring comes down through the area behind the head unit and just snakes between gaps in whatever the components are below the head unit. There was plenty of space to fit, but it did help to have my wife feeding from the top with me reaching up into the void to grab them and pull down. There was enough slack in the harness and video cables to attach them both with the android box sitting on my passenger floor mat and then for now I just shoved it all up in the void.

As you can see, I left my autoplay/carplay adapter down there too, and just pulled the lightning cable back up before putting on the passenger's side leather trim piece.

That's a Scosche CD player mount btw. Mounting my iPhone 7 there works really well, except that when it's plugged in to the charger and in vertical orientation the shifter/my hand hit it when shifting in and out of park. I just move the phone to landscape/horizontal before shifting, or unplug the charging cable and it's fine.

Last edited by mossytrees; 08-01-19 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Changing out the first picture
The following 2 users liked this post by mossytrees:
jjj666 (08-07-19), joejoejoe (01-04-20)
Old 08-02-19, 06:47 PM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Onion
For No.1 did you try to move the steering wheel all the way to the left and all the way to the right? I remember having this issue after changing the battery in the car. Can't remember exactly what you have to do but something alone the line.
I think you're right. It works now, but I don't know why. It must need a calibration by going full deflection like you have suggested.
Old 08-03-19, 07:14 AM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks to @emhriv and @mossytrees my install is complete.

1) installed Android behind centre console, may reposition based on mossytrees feedback

2) ran USB cables by removing center console (emhriv) tutorial. I don't believe you need to remove if you use mossytrees tutorial, likely much easier to fish the USB cable back through the passenger panel back to the centre console

3) picked up a USB3 panel extension on Amazon -- many sellers (
https://www.amazon.com/ICESPRING-Female-Extension-Motorcycle-Dashboard/dp/B01MY1WDIU/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=usb+3+flush+mount&qid=1564841492&s=gateway&sr=8-8 https://www.amazon.com/ICESPRING-Female-Extension-Motorcycle-Dashboard/dp/B01MY1WDIU/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=usb+3+flush+mount&qid=1564841492&s=gateway&sr=8-8
)

4) removed centre console usb outlets (need to pop out the cursor control (pull rear straight up) and passenger side trim

5) removed 12V outlet by pushing black tab inside the cigarette outlet and sliding out

6) sanding 12V to fit the USB3 panel. Very small amount needed, I believe fully reversible

7) plugged USB panel into headunit usbs and reinstalled everything

8) screenshot is Android Auto running on Headunit Reloaded. Cosmo needs to fix our USB dongles to support the RX350 resolution -- this is an issue with his firmware (not android auto)

The following 2 users liked this post by kmare:
Ditze (01-17-20), jonathanz (08-03-19)
Old 08-04-19, 01:14 AM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kmare
thanks to @emhriv and @mossytrees my install is complete.

1) installed Android behind centre console, may reposition based on mossytrees feedback

2) ran USB cables by removing center console (emhriv) tutorial. I don't believe you need to remove if you use mossytrees tutorial, likely much easier to fish the USB cable back through the passenger panel back to the centre console

3) picked up a USB3 panel extension on Amazon -- many sellers ( https://www.amazon.com/ICESPRING-Fem...gateway&sr=8-8 )

4) removed centre console usb outlets (need to pop out the cursor control (pull rear straight up) and passenger side trim

5) removed 12V outlet by pushing black tab inside the cigarette outlet and sliding out

6) sanding 12V to fit the USB3 panel. Very small amount needed, I believe fully reversible

7) plugged USB panel into headunit usbs and reinstalled everything

8) screenshot is Android Auto running on Headunit Reloaded. Cosmo needs to fix our USB dongles to support the RX350 resolution -- this is an issue with his firmware (not android auto)

Finally another guy with Android

I used HUR as well mainly because my phone won't hold the charge if I connect to the dongle. I can connect my phone to the cigarette charger and use the WIFI feature of HUR. Besides that,

1. The audio quality seems to be lower when the audio is going through the unit instead of Bluetooth (looks like it doesn't give you an option and will route all audio through USB if connected to the dongle). Strangely if an iPhone is connected it is less noticeable. With HUR I can disable sink audio and bluetooth to car play everything
2. Left and Right Audio channel is flipped on my unit. Cosmo has suggested me to try to rewire the left and right channel connectors, haven't had the time to do it yet.
3. AA is stretched using the dongle like you mentioned.

I tried Wifi-direct with HUR but it doesn't seem to work. It will connect and then just falls back to the home screen of HUR if I try to click Wifi-Direct. Do you know if it works on your unit? It could be that the unit doesn't support Wifi-direct feature..
Old 08-04-19, 05:52 AM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Onion, I went back to using a direct USB connection w/HUR for now -- i found WIFI to be too much trouble (having to turn on server mode on the phone etc). Wifi, Wifi Direct, and incoming connection all worked with my phone (Thinq) and headunit.

Emil (HUR author) is working on a brand new connection method for HUR that will use an app on the phone and replace the need for server mode etc, it sounds promising. My target end state will be to use wireless charging (hidden install under front shelf) and wireless (WIFI) android auto
Old 08-06-19, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

My LS is in having the unit installed as we speak!
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
DavidinCT (04-03-20), Endopax (10-29-19)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350