RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 04:01 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markie476
Cosmo will be able to provide you with a file with the correct firmware to flash via a usb drive.
I would love to ask him but I don’t know how to connect with him. Do you have an email?
Old 08-28-19, 04:05 PM
markie476
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottspd
I would love to ask him but I don’t know how to connect with him. Do you have an email?
Sent you a PM
Old 08-28-19, 05:15 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. Emailed him.
Old 08-28-19, 06:09 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I found this fantastic step by step installation video for a RX350. Even after watching all the other videos put up by qvtruong, I seriously thought about getting a professional to install the head unit. But this Grom step by step video makes it look REAL easy to install.

qvtruong,
You might to consider adding it to the first post for other prospective buyers.

The following users liked this post:
RAWRX (08-29-19)
Old 08-29-19, 06:25 AM
kri
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWRX
Was this the 7.1 Car play and auto for $450?
No, 7.1 was not available when I bought the unit.
Old 08-29-19, 08:51 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I found this fantastic step by step installation video for a RX350. Even after watching all the other videos put up by qvtruong, I seriously thought about getting a professional to install the head unit. But this Grom step by step video makes it look REAL easy to install.

qvtruong,
You might to consider adding it to the first post for other prospective buyers.

Grom step by step head unit installation
On paper for Grom it looks like,
Pros:
1. Based in SF Bay area (Silicon Valley) for U.S. support.
2. Runs on later Android version 8.1 instead of 7.1.(spoke with support and they are working on 9.0)
3. Better return/warranty (30 days/18 months) policy

Cons:
1. 4 core processor instead of 6
2. Slightly more expensive (at lowest it goes for $550 with promo codes)
3. Car play is wired only

What made everyone decide to go withl Lsailt over Grom or vice versa?
Old 08-29-19, 05:36 PM
PotOdds
Driver

I wasn't endorsing Grom. Just the video that shows the step-by-step installation of a head unit.

I believe one of the main reason Lsailt has an advantage over Grom is that the original Lexus OEM functionality works as is and is separate from the Android side. Plz correct if I'm mistaken. When it comes to any type of Lexus warranty, that may also be advantage, as modifying too much may void.

Grom doesn't impede Lexus OEM functionality. But after searching the forum, the real reason. IT DOESN'T SUPPORT APPLE CARPLAY! This is the only reason why I'm going to the trouble to install the lsailt head unit.

Also shout out to leedoobert, who I found out, had already posted the Grom installation video.

On paper for Grom it looks like,
Pros:
1. Based in SF Bay area (Silicon Valley) for U.S. support.
2. Runs on later Android version 8.1 instead of 7.1.(spoke with support and they are working on 9.0)
3. Better return/warranty (30 days/18 months) policy

Cons:
1. 4 core processor instead of 6
2. Slightly more expensive (at lowest it goes for $550 with promo codes)
3. Car play is wired only

What made everyone decide to go withl Lsailt over Grom or vice versa?

Last edited by PotOdds; 08-29-19 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
leedoobert (09-10-19)
Old 08-29-19, 07:19 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

I wasn't endorsing Grom. Just the video that shows the step-by-step installation of a head unit.

I believe one of the main reason Lsailt has an advantage over Grom is that the original Lexus OEM functionality works as is and is separate from the Android side. Plz correct if I'm mistaken. When it comes to any type of Lexus warranty, that may also be advantage, as modifying too much may void.

Grom doesn't impede Lexus OEM functionality. But after searching the forum, the real reason. IT DOESN'T SUPPORT APPLE CARPLAY! This is the only reason why I'm going to the trouble to install the lsailt head unit.

Also shout out to leedoobert, who I found out, had already posted the Grom installation video.
I believe both Grom and Lsailt support Apple car play and Android auto via usb. However, Lsailt has an advantage as it also can connect to Apple car play wirelessly.
Old 08-30-19, 03:14 AM
zaldwaik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kri
I directly contacted Cosmo and he gave me a PayPal account. I paid $450 for the box with wireless carplay.

I just selected pay to family/friends, as Paypal doesn't really protect the buyer no matter what you choose if you are not buying from a website link.
Do you mind sending me Cosmo contact, thanks.
Old 08-30-19, 06:23 AM
kri
10th Gear

I believe both Grom and Lsailt support Apple car play and Android auto via usb. However, Lsailt has an advantage as it also can connect to Apple car play wirelessly.
Grom doesn't support Carplay. It is using Airplay to broadcast phone to the car infotainment, but that's different from Carplay. As far as I know, Lsailt is the only plug-in and play Carplay add-on that supports Lexus RX and can be found in the US right now.

Several months ago, Beat-Sonic released Carplay for Lexus GS. I contacted them and was informed it will support the RX soon. However, I finally decided to go with Lsailt when they released the wireless Carplay. Beat-Sonic only adds a wired Carplay and there is no Android operation system. Lsailt box can be used as a standalone smart box. I have been using the box for two months now with no regrets. What I like most is that they keep improving the product by releasing updates. Majority of the bugs mentioned in the previous posts (static sound when starting the car, flipped left-right sound tract, disconnection in wireless Carplay) have been fixed.

Last edited by kri; 08-30-19 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 06:50 AM
kri
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zaldwaik
Do you mind sending me Cosmo contact, thanks.
I contacted him by wechat. His ID is wyxiong2009
Old 08-30-19, 07:00 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Big Thumbs Up to COSMOS. Got the 7.1 with wireless. DHL, it took less than a week to get me in NJ. Gonna install this weekend.

Originally Posted by kri
I contacted him by wechat. His ID is wyxiong2009
Old 08-30-19, 07:47 AM
zaldwaik
Driver School Candidate

Big Thumbs Up to COSMOS. Got the 7.1 with wireless. DHL, it took less than a week to get me in NJ. Gonna install this weekend.
Please post after install with any comments regarding bugs or issues with the 7.1 version.
Old 08-30-19, 09:09 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by kri
Grom doesn't support Carplay. It is using Airplay to broadcast phone to the car infotainment, but that's different from Carplay. As far as I know, Lsailt is the only plug-in and play Carplay add-on that supports Lexus RX and can be found in the US right now.

Several months ago, Beat-Sonic released Carplay for Lexus GS. I contacted them and was informed it will support the RX soon. However, I finally decided to go with Lsailt when they released the wireless Carplay. Beat-Sonic only adds a wired Carplay and there is no Android operation system. Lsailt box can be used as a standalone smart box. I have been using the box for two months now with no regrets. What I like most is that they keep improving the product by releasing updates. Majority of the bugs mentioned in the previous posts (static sound when starting the car, flipped left-right sound tract, disconnection in wireless Carplay) have been fixed.
Grom's website states their Lexus V-line VL2 product both have Car Play and Android Auto supported through USB.

Grom's 4 core processor is on Android 8, with Android 9 under development. I just hope Lsailt doesn't fall behind on the software development side. I find it odd that Lsailt has already developed for Android 7 in their 6 core but didn't update their 4 core on Android 6. It doesn't speak much for the longevity of the product.

I'm not sponsoring Grom in anyway as I ordered a Lsailt the other day. I just want the best for where my money is supporting and fear that a few years from now more apps won't be supported under the older OS.
Old 08-30-19, 09:41 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Grom's website states their Lexus V-line VL2 product both have Car Play and Android Auto supported through USB.

Grom's 4 core processor is on Android 8, with Android 9 under development. I just hope Lsailt doesn't fall behind on the software development side. I find it odd that Lsailt has already developed for Android 7 in their 6 core but didn't update their 4 core on Android 6. It doesn't speak much for the longevity of the product.

I'm not sponsoring Grom in anyway as I ordered a Lsailt the other day. I just want the best for where my money is supporting and fear that a few years from now more apps won't be supported under the older OS.
Then you buy the new version. Remember these things are only like 500 bucks.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350