RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 02:12 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone with an installed unit with the 7.1 Android / hexacore processor, do you know if the Android geekbench app works?

If so, do you think you can send me a screenshot of the results of how well this unit is performing?

I don't plan to run any intensive Apps but would be curious to know the results.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-19, 11:25 PM
COSMOXIONG
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all feedbacks.

I just view some of the post here and I think I could answer here for questions.
The old Android 6.0 model we used to plan to upgrade to Android 8.0 but we have no idea Google has closed the anthority, while some company use same solution in China get authority just month ago. since it's meaning less to develop any new version with no google service support, we just give it up.
About the currect Android 7.1 model we do have plan to upgrade the 9.0 but since last time happened on google we are afraid it happened again so we never post the android 9.0 upgrade on premotion and never promise that, but you know we care about the system upgrade.

We have test on plenty of Lexus car radio unit with screen, but there is one strange thing, only some of North American model RX no Navi model has the head unit manufacturered by Pioneer, all others model are manufacturered by Fujitsu ten, we have install in some of the car in US and Russia and it shows may need to cut some plastic part of harness(the harness we supply, not the original ), but no need to worry, it will still working properly and no damage of original car.

We have test on many kind of Lexus joystick but may not cover all of them, so maybe on some car the system could be switch by map or menu button, the video record by specONE is a good demostration on his IS350
off phone button will always working.
Old 09-07-19, 08:25 AM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need any other cables besides a lightning iPhone cable , other than what’s supplied with the kit for install?

EDIT: Never mind that is all I needed. How do you get the wifi password to connect to it?

Double Edit: Cosmo took care of it. Thanks all!

Last edited by darrenph1; 09-09-19 at 07:20 PM. Reason: both question answered.
Old 09-11-19, 04:56 PM
zaldwaik
Driver School Candidate

Another happy customer. I am impressed how this is seamless. Auto start for wireless carplay is great.
Old 09-12-19, 07:41 PM
zaldwaik
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know the size of the nut (not the bolt) for the display, I lost one of them. Thanks
Old 09-14-19, 04:28 PM
Dudley33
Rookie

Hey, just a quick note. I had the Beatsonic unit installed on both my 2016 LX and 2016 ES today by a Beatsonic representative. Details in the posts in the LX and ES forums. One button press to switch back and forth from CarPlay to the factory system. Works through a wired connection for a cable from the glove box. Very happy with the installs and operation so far. The Beatsonic unit provide either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay depending on what type of phone is plugged into the cable.
Old 09-14-19, 04:29 PM
Dudley33
Rookie

Default Available for RX as well

Available for the RX as well now. Videos on YouTube.
Old 09-14-19, 05:08 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley33
Hey, just a quick note. I had the Beatsonic unit installed on both my 2016 LX and 2016 ES today by a Beatsonic representative. Details in the posts in the LX and ES forums. One button press to switch back and forth from CarPlay to the factory system. Works through a wired connection for a cable from the glove box. Very happy with the installs and operation so far. The Beatsonic unit provide either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay depending on what type of phone is plugged into the cable.

Maybe a little clarification for some people like myself might be needed here.

From my understanding (and I might be wrong) is that the BeatSonic only offers “screen mirroring” and not actual Apple CarPlay, is that correct? And the LSAILT unit is the only aftermarket kit for the RX that offers actual Apple CarPlay, correct? There seems to be a couple of other brand units that are similar to these two but these two seem to be talked a about the most here.

Can someone explain what the benefit or cons of one versus the other actually means. I can reasonably understand what screen mirroring is but these two features (CarPlay/Screen Mirroring) mean different things but they seem to be playing marketing on words and it’s a little confusing...at least to me. Like BeatSonic says it does CarPlay but is it actually just Screen Mirroring...don’t know. 🤷🏻*♂️

In my opinion I don’t care for screen mirroring and would only want the Apple CarPlay feature.

Old 09-14-19, 06:52 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Really weird. All of a sudden it’s a crapshoot whether sound comes out of Bluetooth input or AUX input.
Old 09-15-19, 03:23 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteghost

From my understanding (and I might be wrong) is that the BeatSonic only offers “screen mirroring” and not actual Apple CarPlay, is that correct? And the LSAILT unit is the only aftermarket kit for the RX that offers actual Apple CarPlay, correct? There seems to be a couple of other brand units that are similar to these two but these two seem to be talked a about the most here.

Can someone explain what the benefit or cons of one versus the other actually means. I can reasonably understand what screen mirroring is but these two features (CarPlay/Screen Mirroring) mean different things but they seem to be playing marketing on words and it’s a little confusing...at least to me. Like BeatSonic says it does CarPlay but is it actually just Screen Mirroring...don’t know. 🤷🏻*♂️

In my opinion I don’t care for screen mirroring and would only want the Apple CarPlay feature.
looks like a new product from beatsonic
https://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexusca...droidauto.html

i have the screen mirroring, but have never installed it or the nav bypass yet.
Old 09-15-19, 04:44 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
looks like a new product from beatsonic
https://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexusca...droidauto.html

i have the screen mirroring, but have never installed it or the nav bypass yet.
I have the screen mirroring and Nav bypass I installed a while ago, before, the other CarPlay units were
out.
Not ready to spend another $500 right now, and take car apart, for CarPlay right now.
had I had a choice earlier, don’t know which unit I would choose,
beatsonic says wireless version will be out next year .
Old 09-15-19, 06:05 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
I have the screen mirroring and Nav bypass I installed a while ago, before, the other CarPlay units were
out.
Not ready to spend another $500 right now, and take car apart, for CarPlay right now.
had I had a choice earlier, don’t know which unit I would choose,
beatsonic says wireless version will be out next year .
working well so far ??
guess i can motivate and get mine installed, i have the wireless screenbeam too for it.
Old 09-15-19, 07:41 AM
Dudley33
Rookie

Originally Posted by whiteghost

Hello whiteghost:

To provide clarification, I can verify that the Beatsonic unit provides true Apple CarPlay, not just “screen mirroring.” The IPhone itself displays that it is in CarPlay mode, and only the special CarPlay type icons and functionality are provided through the car navigation screen. For, example, it does not show you the actual text messages you receive, instead CarPlay gives you the ability to have the “read” out loud to you by Siri. It does not just show you a copy of the screen displayed on your IPhone. It also does the same for Android Auto. https://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexusca...droidauto.html

As to whether you want “screen mirroring” or Apple CarPlay itself, here are my thoughts. Screen mirroring just gives you access to your IPhone screen as if you were using the actual IPhone when you drive. You can use all applications and read messages, emails, etc., not just the limited range of Apps that only are available through CarPlay for safety reasons while driving. With screen mirroring you would be using the remote mouse part of the car to click and interact, not touching the actual screen of the IPhone or the screen of the car navigation system. (Note, the updated 2020 RX has gone back to touch screens). Which is “better?” Well I think it is a matter of personal taste and attitudes toward safety, possible legal risks towards just interacting with the phone screen itself if the phone is placed on a vent mount within reach, and what you applications you want to use during driving, and your attitudes and skills in using the Lexus remote mouse system to interact with the system. I’m not sure myself, and will use the Beatsonic CarPlay system for a while and see what my experience may be.
Old 09-15-19, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Really weird. All of a sudden it’s a crapshoot whether sound comes out of Bluetooth input or AUX input.
I've had the same problem, typically when going back to music after texting over Siri.
Old 09-15-19, 09:17 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dudley33
Hello whiteghost:

To provide clarification, I can verify that the Beatsonic unit provides true Apple CarPlay, not just “screen mirroring.” The IPhone itself displays that it is in CarPlay mode, and only the special CarPlay type icons and functionality are provided through the car navigation screen. For, example, it does not show you the actual text messages you receive, instead CarPlay gives you the ability to have the “read” out loud to you by Siri. It does not just show you a copy of the screen displayed on your IPhone. It also does the same for Android Auto. https://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexusca...droidauto.html

As to whether you want “screen mirroring” or Apple CarPlay itself, here are my thoughts. Screen mirroring just gives you access to your IPhone screen as if you were using the actual IPhone when you drive. You can use all applications and read messages, emails, etc., not just the limited range of Apps that only are available through CarPlay for safety reasons while driving. With screen mirroring you would be using the remote mouse part of the car to click and interact, not touching the actual screen of the IPhone or the screen of the car navigation system. (Note, the updated 2020 RX has gone back to touch screens). Which is “better?” Well I think it is a matter of personal taste and attitudes toward safety, possible legal risks towards just interacting with the phone screen itself if the phone is placed on a vent mount within reach, and what you applications you want to use during driving, and your attitudes and skills in using the Lexus remote mouse system to interact with the system. I’m not sure myself, and will use the Beatsonic CarPlay system for a while and see what my experience may be.

Does the Beat Sonic car play/Android Auto integrate with the oem HUD?

On their website, it sounds like they still have a few quirks as well:
  • Faint pop noise may be heard during vehicle turn on while in AUX mode.
  • Volume level indicator change will not show in Apple Carplay / Android Auto mode.
  • Seek control on steering wheel will not function with Apple Carplay / Android Auto mode. Vehicle joystick / mouse or if available up and down arrows next to the joystick will be used to used for seek control.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350