RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 03:15 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've had the same problem, typically when going back to music after texting over Siri.
Originally Posted by Bearcat
Really weird. All of a sudden it’s a crapshoot whether sound comes out of Bluetooth input or AUX input.
I'm also seeing this. No problem connecting carplay wirelessly but I need to start playing my audible app first through BT which I don't hear then switch to aux and I can hear it and then switch back to BT. BT sounds much better than AUX but it's kind of a hassle to do this.
Old 09-15-19, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by darrenph1
I'm also seeing this. No problem connecting carplay wirelessly but I need to start playing my audible app first through BT which I don't hear then switch to aux and I can hear it and then switch back to BT. BT sounds much better than AUX but it's kind of a hassle to do this.
Mom surprised your BT sounds better than AUX, mine sounds much better in AUX as the audio is uncompressed.
Old 09-15-19, 04:12 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Mom surprised your BT sounds better than AUX, mine sounds much better in AUX as the audio is uncompressed.
I can hear the RPM whine thru my aux and it's much louder with an audible hiss. Wondering if there is a grounding issue. I'm in a GS350 FSport also...
Old 09-15-19, 04:35 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm loving the wireless CarPlay. After some fiddling, I'm now getting all audio through AUX. This is recommended by COSMOS. It was a little tricky as there is little instructions on what should exactly be done. I've included photos for my setup. Hopefully this helps others or others will correct/improve my existing settings.

I also couldn't wait any longer and went ahead and installed the iOS 13 latest beta. iOS 13 official release should be out 9/19. iOS 13.1 will follow by 9/30.

My screenshots with iOS 13.

In WiFi, I'm connected to AutoPlay-24d5 ie Android head unit but it's not "connected". Following screenshots should explain.

But when I click WiFi, you can see that AutoPlay-24d5 is not connected, which is usually under Wi-Fi area. Usually I would click on AutoPlay-24d5 to connect but this time, I decided to see what would happen if I didn't click on it. Everything is working. Though I don't totally understand how it's connected.

As a comparison, my Google Wifi is connected when I'm at home. You can see it's right under Wi-Fi

Finally I no longer have AutoPlay-xxxx connected in Bluetooth. Initially it was confusing when setting things up, the Android head unit said both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth should be connected. So the screenshot was when I had connected the Bluetooth with the Android head unit using AutoPlay-e2e9. CarAccessory is Lexus OEM system. No I don't have anything connected via Bluetooth with the Android head unit.

Last edited by PotOdds; 09-15-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrenph1
I can hear the RPM whine thru my aux and it's much louder with an audible hiss. Wondering if there is a grounding issue. I'm in a GS350 FSport also...
Yeah something is wrong for sure
Old 09-16-19, 07:51 PM
RxVA
Driver School Candidate

I installed mine, everything works except when I put the car into reverse, it goes to the factory screen but the camera image never pops up. I have the the non-nav. Removed all wiring and restored to factory wiring and the camera shows up. My hunch is that the harness for the device is not supplying power to the camera. Checked all connections and they seemed to be intact. Software issue?

Old 09-18-19, 12:56 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

off topic, but why is there only 4 icons across? other pics shows 5 icons across ? smaller screen?

Last edited by DaytonaV; 09-18-19 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 02:17 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonaV
off topic, but why is there only 4 icons across? other pics shows 5 icons across ? smaller screen?

I think it has to do with the type of dashboard screen
4 icons on Non-navigation Lexus 8” screen (I have this one)
5 icons on Navigation Lexus 12” screen
Old 09-18-19, 05:50 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yea that's what i thought. i have the 12" screen so i'm just making sure what to expect

Originally Posted by emhriv
I think it has to do with the type of dashboard screen
4 icons on Non-navigation Lexus 8” screen (I have this one)
5 icons on Navigation Lexus 12” screen
Old 09-18-19, 08:14 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Yeah something is wrong for sure
Interestingly after reading back through the thread, I tried deleting all the BT connections and only connected via the Autoplay BT and now the Aux audio is great. No RPM whine or hiss. But there is no BT connection to the car so I'm unsure how call quality will be through Carplay. I honestly don't talk that much in the car but I'd like it to sound good. I may give a shot at connecting the car BT for tomorrows drive to work and see what happens.

It sucks as I had Cosmo all set up to chat on Wechat and the app blocked me for some reason but he's trying to help with that also...

Last edited by darrenph1; 09-18-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Call quality in the car through the box is not good. You can hear the call fine, they cant hear you well.
Old 09-19-19, 10:37 AM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Call quality in the car through the box is not good. You can hear the call fine, they cant hear you well.
I was able to reconnect the handfree BT and the AUX audio quality stayed good thankfully. Do you use that 3.5mm loopback thing? I thing my installer took or misplaced it as it's not in box he returned to me.
Old 09-20-19, 10:02 AM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CarPlay on iOS 13

I am happy to report that my lsailt CarPlay unit works great with the new official iOS 13 release

The top 3 things I love about CarPlay on iOS 13:

1) You can now use your phone without interrupting the CarPlay interface! For example, if you are running Google Maps on CarPlay, you can still use your phone to text, browse for the next song, etc. and it won't kick you out of your current CarPlay screen!

2) Album art is now displayed next to your song in Spotify and other music apps

3) Calendar is now available as well as a new CarPlay dashboard screen
The following users liked this post:
wdarea24 (10-04-19)
Old 09-20-19, 10:04 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree. This was a big one.

Originally Posted by leedoobert
1) You can now use your phone without interrupting the CarPlay interface! For example, if you are running Google Maps on CarPlay, you can still use your phone to text, browse for the next song, etc. and it won't kick you out of your current CarPlay screen!
The following users liked this post:
leedoobert (09-20-19)
Old 09-21-19, 10:32 AM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting article on the iOS 13 option to have CarPlay use dial screens, a functionality that no carmaker has at this time.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/2...een-no-support

maybe Cosmo and his team can solve this before the Toyota/Lexus folks 😆

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350