RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 08:24 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wireless charging vs Wired Charging?

So when I wirelessly charge my phone while connected to CarPlay, I see the battery charging icon on my CarPlay screen and also on my phone screen - my phone charges fine

When my wife plugs in her phone (wired) to CarPlay, the battery charging icon does NOT display on the CarPlay screen, but shows on her phone screen - however, her phone doesn't really seem to be charging (the battery percentage stays the same throughout her drive)

Has anyone seen this issue?
Old 09-22-19, 01:05 AM
chance4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly it changes by wire but very slow and also discharges (as provides CarPlay service) with same speed - so percentage stays the same.
Old 09-22-19, 09:37 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by leedoobert
So when I wirelessly charge my phone while connected to CarPlay, I see the battery charging icon on my CarPlay screen and also on my phone screen - my phone charges fine

When my wife plugs in her phone (wired) to CarPlay, the battery charging icon does NOT display on the CarPlay screen, but shows on her phone screen - however, her phone doesn't really seem to be charging (the battery percentage stays the same throughout her drive)

Has anyone seen this issue?
CarPlay will NOT show battery status when using wired. It only shows on wireless connection.

On why battery stay the same, it’s because your phone uses an equal amount of energy it gets from the charger. The box’s USB doesnt provide much energy to charge your phone to 100%. It only keeps your phone battery percentage from dropping. CarPlay requires a lot of processing power from your phone (e.g. GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi...).
Old 09-23-19, 04:49 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've noticed the same thing. Bought a USB voltage tester off of Amazon, should be here today. Will test the various USB ports provided by lsait and see what the charge is. But I probably will only do emergency charging through their ports. Would really love to setup a Qi charging pad but I have a RFID sticker between my case and the iPhone. Heard it may get wiped out due to the magnetic induction.

Originally Posted by qvtruong
CarPlay will NOT show battery status when using wired. It only shows on wireless connection.

On why battery stay the same, it’s because your phone uses an equal amount of energy it gets from the charger. The box’s USB doesnt provide much energy to charge your phone to 100%. It only keeps your phone battery percentage from dropping. CarPlay requires a lot of processing power from your phone (e.g. GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi...).
Old 09-23-19, 06:37 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I've noticed the same thing. Bought a USB voltage tester off of Amazon, should be here today. Will test the various USB ports provided by lsait and see what the charge is. But I probably will only do emergency charging through their ports. Would really love to setup a Qi charging pad but I have a RFID sticker between my case and the iPhone. Heard it may get wiped out due to the magnetic induction.
what does the rfid sticker do for you ??
Old 09-23-19, 07:25 AM
PotOdds
Driver

In my apartment building they use keyfob to access the gym and various restricted areas. I used KeyMe to clone a RFID sticker. Super convenient. But it prevents me from going to wireless charging. Did some research. A regular magnet plate (used for magnetic phone holders) have a static field so it should be okay to use with a case and my KeyMe RFID sticker but a Qi charging adapter uses magnetic induction which creates a non-static field which will apparently destroy the RFID settings.

Originally Posted by JSracer
what does the rfid sticker do for you ??
Old 09-23-19, 11:57 AM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong

I want to say that wired charging worked fine on the CarPlay box prior to me updating to ios 13...but I'm not 100% sure

Let me know what kind of voltage results you get when you test both USB ports...thanks!!
Old 09-26-19, 05:01 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Results are in.

I connected the wireless dongle to USB2 on the lsait. It shows 0.47 amps, which is really low.

I couldn't attach it to USB0 or USB1, since the testing device needs to be plugged directly into the output of the USB source. I'm guessing they will also show the same level of amperes.

I also have a USB cigaretter lighter with 3 connectors, 2.1A, 2.0A, 1.0A. 2.1A provided 1.94A. 2.0A did not work. 1.0A provided 0.97A. Pretty much what is expected.

I tried the 2 USB ports in the middle console. They provided 1.0A.

I want to say that wired charging worked fine on the CarPlay box prior to me updating to ios 13...but I'm not 100% sure
Let me know what kind of voltage results you get when you test both USB ports...thanks!!
The following 2 users liked this post by PotOdds:
darrenph1 (09-26-19), leedoobert (09-28-19)
Old 10-02-19, 07:29 PM
ktcolbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car play installation in Dallas TX area

Does anyone know of companies in Dallas/Ft Worth area that installs the equipment to get carplay?
Old 10-03-19, 07:13 AM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Results are in.

I connected the wireless dongle to USB2 on the lsait. It shows 0.47 amps, which is really low.

I couldn't attach it to USB0 or USB1, since the testing device needs to be plugged directly into the output of the USB source. I'm guessing they will also show the same level of amperes.

I also have a USB cigaretter lighter with 3 connectors, 2.1A, 2.0A, 1.0A. 2.1A provided 1.94A. 2.0A did not work. 1.0A provided 0.97A. Pretty much what is expected.

I tried the 2 USB ports in the middle console. They provided 1.0A.
I knew it was pretty slow because my Android phone would get discharged when connected to it. I was hoping to use the port for a Wifi modem(hidden in the compartment so could be used as a tracking device as well potentially)
But I read on the requirement for power and it says

adapter rated 5V with a minimum output current of 750mA

Old 10-04-19, 07:02 PM
wdarea24
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I see there are multiple options to choose from 7.1 carply and advanced carplay. Which one do you recommend for RX450h? Also, do you have any video of installation to share. i want to take to the car repair shop to see if they install it for me thanks!

cheers
Old 10-04-19, 08:00 PM
wdarea24
Driver School Candidate

I am happy to report that my lsailt CarPlay unit works great with the new official iOS 13 release

The top 3 things I love about CarPlay on iOS 13:

1) You can now use your phone without interrupting the CarPlay interface! For example, if you are running Google Maps on CarPlay, you can still use your phone to text, browse for the next song, etc. and it won't kick you out of your current CarPlay screen!

2) Album art is now displayed next to your song in Spotify and other music apps

3) Calendar is now available as well as a new CarPlay dashboard screen
Hi which unit did you buy? 6.1 or 7.1 or Advanced
Old 10-04-19, 08:02 PM
wdarea24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RxVA
I installed mine, everything works except when I put the car into reverse, it goes to the factory screen but the camera image never pops up. I have the the non-nav. Removed all wiring and restored to factory wiring and the camera shows up. My hunch is that the harness for the device is not supplying power to the camera. Checked all connections and they seemed to be intact. Software issue?

Did you find out what the issue was?
Old 10-05-19, 01:40 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wdarea24
Did you find out what the issue was?
could be incorrect dip switch setting?
Old 10-05-19, 01:44 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wdarea24
Hi, I see there are multiple options to choose from 7.1 carply and advanced carplay. Which one do you recommend for RX450h? Also, do you have any video of installation to share. i want to take to the car repair shop to see if they install it for me thanks!

cheers
I like the lsailt unit because of the wireless carplay feature. Read the whole threads from the beginning you can find various videos for the installation. It's really not so difficulty and I did myself even though I didn't have much car mechanic related experience.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350