RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 02:04 PM
wdarea24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks but I am bit confused whether to buy 7.1 or advanced? I am it sure what's the difference between advanced and 7.1 . I got 2019 rxh which has 8 inch screen.

thanks!

Originally Posted by jjj666
I like the lsailt unit because of the wireless carplay feature. Read the whole threads from the beginning you can find various videos for the installation. It's really not so difficulty and I did myself even though I didn't have much car mechanic related experience.
Old 10-05-19, 02:07 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wdarea24
thanks but I am bit confused whether to buy 7.1 or advanced? I am it sure what's the difference between advanced and 7.1 . I got 2019 rxh which has 8 inch screen.

thanks!
Sorry I don't know the difference. Mine is the old 6.0 interface unit. You may want to talk to Cosmo about which unit to get.
Old 10-08-19, 05:41 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

If you are listening to the Car radio or Sirius and a text comes through is the only way to have Siri read you the text through the speakers is the aux/bt connection? I couldn't hear it until I switched to aux input.
Thanks.
Old 10-08-19, 06:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by darrenph1
If you are listening to the Car radio or Sirius and a text comes through is the only way to have Siri read you the text through the speakers is the aux/bt connection? I couldn't hear it until I switched to aux input.
Thanks.
If you don’t install the separate speaker, that’s the case.

I listen to Sirius through the CarPlay app now. Haven’t listened to regular radio in years.
Old 10-08-19, 07:22 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I listen to Sirius through the CarPlay app now. Haven’t listened to regular radio in years.
Ya, I just downloaded the app this weekend. I wasn't aware it was included in my subscription, but glad it is now.
Old 10-08-19, 10:00 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wdarea24
Hi which unit did you buy? 6.1 or 7.1 or Advanced
I don't remember...I just talked to Cosmo and he hooked me up with the best one at the time

I suggest talking to Cosmo and he'll get you squared away
Old 10-09-19, 09:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I wanted to ask. So the phone call quality through the box is terrible, before I upgraded to iOS 13 I had Accessibility set to default to BT which worked great, calls were controlled through CarPlay and routed throughb the car's BT system automatically. Since upgraxding to iOS 13 this no longer works, and it defaults to CarPlay and I have to change it to the BT system on the phone every call. Any thoughts....
Old 10-10-19, 05:21 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Before I buy my unit , I would like to know how the phone calls are coming thru. Thru the box or thru the car?
especially after IOS13 install.
i need to pull the head unit out to either reboot the Beatsonic mirroring unit or if going to all that trouble, just go with
the Lsailt wireless unit.
i would prefer CarPlay, but, considering some of the phone problems mentioned,I am resisting the temptation to
just jump in.
is anyone totally satisfied with the unit, without the extra speaker, for iPhone. Are you thru the car system or the box?
where do you mount the GPS module?
tis a puzzlement!!
Old 10-10-19, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Before I upgraded to iOS 13 my calls were controlled through CarPlay but coming through the car's BT system. After iOS 13 upgrade I have to select the car's system every call or it defaults to the system, which is a significant PITA.

Still, love the system but hope this can be dealt with. If you're just using CarPlay you dont need the GPS module.
Old 10-10-19, 08:07 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Before I upgraded to iOS 13 my calls were controlled through CarPlay but coming through the car's BT system. After iOS 13 upgrade I have to select the car's system every call or it defaults to the system, which is a significant PITA.

Still, love the system but hope this can be dealt with. If you're just using CarPlay you dont need the GPS module.
thanks for the info, waiting for more info on the BT calling problem.
Old 10-13-19, 03:38 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Is your siriusXM app kinda flaky? I set up my favorite channels like on my radio but some times they show up in Carplay and sometimes they don't. If they don't and then I open the Sirius app while connected to Carplay it then populates my favorites...
Old 10-14-19, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrenph1
Is your siriusXM app kinda flaky? I set up my favorite channels like on my radio but some times they show up in Carplay and sometimes they don't. If they don't and then I open the Sirius app while connected to Carplay it then populates my favorites...
I have this problem with ALL the music apps in CarPlay with iOS13...
Old 10-14-19, 07:43 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A strange freeze happened with my system yesterday.
2016 RX 350, no nav, small screen
Android box from Cosmo version 6.1, GPS installed and active
Touch screen on top of the display, from Cosmo
iOS 13.1.2
Was driving relatively short distances, 15 to 25 min each trip. Using the CarPlay maps for navigation. All of a sudden the maps froze. The GPS door is not moving. The voice navigation though still continues and is accurate, tells me when to turn as I get closer to the intersections. This continues until I either turn off the car or restart the android unit. Happened three times.
one time, I turned off the phone blue tooth and WiFi, the phone maps came on the phone screen and continued to show navigation normally and accurately

Has anyone experienced this or similar problem? could it be that the unit is using the factory GPS and the GPS signal/satellite was sluggish or not working?
Old 10-14-19, 09:55 PM
dkhuynh
Rookie

downloaded wechat to ask comso which one to purchase for my 2017 lexus rx350, navigation, non-ML... but i got locked out of my wechat?
Old 10-15-19, 06:32 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve updated all of the apps and the box to the latest and greatest and, well, things aren’t so great. I’ve lost the cursor so the system is essentially useless now. The mouse does still move an invisible cursor but since I can’t see it, I can’t control anything. Any ideas? I’m so frustrated that this doesn’t work better. For a long while, it was great but it’s been super flakey for a while where it’ll just drop the connection the phone and won’t reconnect and now this issue makes it useless. I keep hoping the cursor will just magically reappear.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350