RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 11:32 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still experience some problems after all the updates.

1. I moved the box outside to the passenger side so the unit is not hiding anymore, but the CarPlay still freezes occasionally (like playing music, the song continues play but the playing and remaining time of playing the song don't change and cannot switch from music to, say, google map or any other app.

2. when using wireless connection, the GPS location can be off (not too far off) and result weird direction, but the wired connection doesn't have this problem.
Old 11-19-19, 01:26 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjj666
I still experience some problems after all the updates.

1. I moved the box outside to the passenger side so the unit is not hiding anymore, but the CarPlay still freezes occasionally (like playing music, the song continues play but the playing and remaining time of playing the song don't change and cannot switch from music to, say, google map or any other app.

2. when using wireless connection, the GPS location can be off (not too far off) and result weird direction, but the wired connection doesn't have this problem.

Thinking of moving the box as well and was hoping that it will solve the two problems your describing.

Freezing supposedly due to overheating.

For the second issue that you are experiencing - do you have the two GPS antennas working at the same time (the iPhone GPS and the box GPS)? I think I read somewhere in the thread that this may be causing some of the maps location misalignment. Have not tested it since my box is still behind the head unit.
Old 11-19-19, 01:31 PM
jjj666
Rookie

In my case, moving the box to outside seems not solve the freezing problem.

I didn't use the box GPS antenna. How that helps when using phone's GPS? The GPS problem only happens with wireless carplay, not with wired carplay. Strange.

Originally Posted by emhriv
Thinking of moving the box as well and was hoping that it will solve the two problems your describing.

Freezing supposedly due to overheating.

For the second issue that you are experiencing - do you have the two GPS antennas working at the same time (the iPhone GPS and the box GPS)? I think I read somewhere in the thread that this may be causing some of the maps location misalignment. Have not tested it since my box is still behind the head unit.
Old 11-23-19, 09:00 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeon
How do we get the unit to start automatically without pressing hang up for 3 secs? It's advertised that it switches automatically but it doesn't do it on my system.

Also anyone interested in doing a continuity test on the video cable harness? I forgot to install mine the first time around and the system worked fine. I installed it just to be safe but I'm not sure if it's just an extension or what. A continuity test should be able to determine the pinout and check if it's just an extension.
you need the loop back 3.5 mm jack plugged in. after that you can switch into carplay/android double press the map button.
Old 11-24-19, 08:40 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ugh, my unit has stopped working. I have the 7.1 with wireless CarPlay in a 2018 RX350 F-Sport. When I start my car, I no longer see the mouse. I can only see the start-up disclaimer page (which I can't hit Continue without the mouse) and then it goes to the Lexus Map. The Menu/Map button no longer do anything. When I'm in Media mode, I can hear a beeping noise at different octaves. It seems the Android unit is in some funky state. I haven't had a chance to get behind the center console yet cuz it's a PITA to unscrew the 2 10mm bolts, especially the right one. And no, hitting MODE and up arrow button for 5 seconds to reset doesn't work.

I contacted COSMOS but he didn't seem to know what was going on. I wanted to post to the forum first to see if anyone has had the same issue. When I get time I will undo the center console and hopefully be able to reset something. Major hassle to have to redo this if this keeps happening.
Old 11-25-19, 06:42 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

So with a loop back 3.5mm it'll display the android unit by default?

How does the 3.5mm loop back work electrically? I have tons of spare 3.5mm jacks lying around so I want to know if I can construct one. Are the terminals not connected to anything? Are they connected to each other? Is there a resistor or something inside?

Do you have a purchase link?
the 3.5 jack came with the android box, look for it in the box of accessories and cables you didnt have to use.
https://i.imgur.com/wxTFHM9l.jpg
Old 11-25-19, 06:51 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Whatttttt
Was it inside the yellow envelope? I 100000% didn't get one.
I dont recall what package it was in but i didnt use it until i contact cosmo about the same then i went back in to the box and found it. If you dont have or never had it your only source is cosmo. so contact him directly and you can use my picture to reference what is missing.
Old 11-25-19, 06:53 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Ugh, my unit has stopped working. I have the 7.1 with wireless CarPlay in a 2018 RX350 F-Sport. When I start my car, I no longer see the mouse. I can only see the start-up disclaimer page (which I can't hit Continue without the mouse) and then it goes to the Lexus Map. The Menu/Map button no longer do anything. When I'm in Media mode, I can hear a beeping noise at different octaves. It seems the Android unit is in some funky state. I haven't had a chance to get behind the center console yet cuz it's a PITA to unscrew the 2 10mm bolts, especially the right one. And no, hitting MODE and up arrow button for 5 seconds to reset doesn't work.

I contacted COSMOS but he didn't seem to know what was going on. I wanted to post to the forum first to see if anyone has had the same issue. When I get time I will undo the center console and hopefully be able to reset something. Major hassle to have to redo this if this keeps happening.
it is possible cables power loose behind back unit? i've been using mine since march and i've have had similar issue, knock on woods.
Old 11-25-19, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Mine has stopped working this morning as well. The unit works, but it wont connect to CarPlay...plugging in the phone will make the phone charge but thats it
Old 11-25-19, 11:38 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm having some issues with mine as well. When starting the RX, sometimes the unit is ready and sometimes it restarts...not sure what determines that. Also now when it is on I have to switch it to AUX...music plays for a couple seconds then stops, I switch then to BT and music works from then on out. Really kind of annoying. Anyone else having this issue and know a fix?
Old 11-25-19, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Mine has stopped working this morning as well. The unit works, but it wont connect to CarPlay...plugging in the phone will make the phone charge but thats it
Restarting my iPhone seems to have fixed my issue.

Also there is a new AutoPlay update dated 11/22, be sure to download that,
Old 11-25-19, 05:28 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
I dont recall what package it was in but i didnt use it until i contact cosmo about the same then i went back in to the box and found it. If you dont have or never had it your only source is cosmo. so contact him directly and you can use my picture to reference what is missing.
where do I plug in the 3.5 loop back jack?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-19, 07:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjj666
where do I plug in the 3.5 loop back jack?

Thanks!
In the car’s AUX-IN jack
Old 11-26-19, 03:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I always hold down the end button to switch to the CarPlay. That’s just how it works.
Old 11-27-19, 06:55 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I always hold down the end button to switch to the CarPlay. That’s just how it works.
Where is the "end button"? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350