RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 09:18 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jjj666
Where is the "end button"? Thanks!
the phone hang up button on your steering wheel
Old 11-28-19, 09:13 AM
palmpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newly installed

Thank you all for the good information. I just put in my unit with wireless. Everything seems to be working. Cosmo asked my calls. He's a big help. Here're a few things to report:
1. I used a semi-rigid electric wire as fish line to help wiring.
2. I connected via AUX. There's a high pitch noise coming out of AUX only.
3. I use Waze on iPhone for navigation. I also like to listen to radio. But these two things don't come together. The navigation sound doesn't play over radio. I hope there's some bypasses. My solution now is use Radio/Media on the head unit to switch. I don't need navigation on all the time anyway.
4. The navigation prompt loses first few words. For instance, "In 1.7 miles" gets truncated to "7 miles".
5. I leave the box out for now just in case. The red light inside keeps blinking when the car is locked. Will battery run out?
6. Will this add on invalidate my warranty? I found oil after opening the trim under the screen. I don't want to put everything back and take the car to the dealer.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I hope one of you can answer my questions.
Old 11-29-19, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by jjj666
Where is the "end button"? Thanks!
Like qv said, the phone hang up button.
Old 11-29-19, 05:37 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by palmpilot
Thank you all for the good information. I just put in my unit with wireless. Everything seems to be working. Cosmo asked my calls. He's a big help. Here're a few things to report:
1. I used a semi-rigid electric wire as fish line to help wiring.
2. I connected via AUX. There's a high pitch noise coming out of AUX only.
3. I use Waze on iPhone for navigation. I also like to listen to radio. But these two things don't come together. The navigation sound doesn't play over radio. I hope there's some bypasses. My solution now is use Radio/Media on the head unit to switch. I don't need navigation on all the time anyway.
4. The navigation prompt loses first few words. For instance, "In 1.7 miles" gets truncated to "7 miles".
5. I leave the box out for now just in case. The red light inside keeps blinking when the car is locked. Will battery run out?
6. Will this add on invalidate my warranty? I found oil after opening the trim under the screen. I don't want to put everything back and take the car to the dealer.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I hope one of you can answer my questions.
This is not going to invalidate your warranty.

Download Radio.com APP and/or TuneIn Radio app and play your stations through that. Then your navigation should announce things correctly as everything is being played back via Carplay.
Old 12-02-19, 11:46 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tuandino
bring over some beers and i can help you install. I've installed this unit in my wife's RX and my GX
Thanks for the offer! You got a PM!
Old 12-02-19, 11:51 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by darrenph1
I was able to reconnect the handfree BT and the AUX audio quality stayed good thankfully. Do you use that 3.5mm loopback thing? I thing my installer took or misplaced it as it's not in box he returned to me.
the 3.5 mm look back thing is a MUST. with it plugged into you car's aux port in the center storage console your call in carplay will be good. It also allows the double press of map button to switch into car play from factory interface.
Old 12-02-19, 11:54 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I always hold down the end button to switch to the CarPlay. That’s just how it works.
you can also switchinto carplay by double pressing the map button if you have your 3.5 mm loopback jack plugged in.
Old 12-02-19, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
the 3.5 mm look back thing is a MUST. with it plugged into you car's aux port in the center storage console your call in carplay will be good. It also allows the double press of map button to switch into car play from factory interface.
I have it plugged in and call quality in CarPlay is still poor.
Old 12-02-19, 07:59 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
I'm able to get the map button to launch carplay without the jack loopback thing. I asked them about if I needed it and got this response:

If it has sound already. Then we can ignore it.
It's in reserved
Best regards, Coco Qin
Old 12-05-19, 08:34 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Fyi, there is an update to fix the nav sound issue where it mute for 1 second before the nav instruction
Old 12-06-19, 06:05 AM
wdarea24
Driver School Candidate

Hello Everyone, recently one of the representative in lexus showroom told me that https://www.iclarified.com/70876/sel...arplay-upgrade carplay was made available for 2018 models. as per him more model like rx will have an software update in early 2020. can anyone validate this news?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-19, 09:25 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Default Happy with my lsailt setup

My lsailt setup is great. I am loving it very day. Wireless carplay is awesome and not even the new 2020RX have it.

T
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (03-08-20)
Old 12-15-19, 06:34 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally got time to take out the center console. Pulling out the top power connector worked. My mouse and Lexus menus are working. Apple Carplay is functional again. Another forum user sent me a private message saying the exact thing has happened to them. I emailed COSMOS about what I did, asking him if there was a way to reboot without having to take out the center console, as it has 2 10mm bolts and multiple trimming holding it in place. Waiting his response...

The one page document that came with the LSAIT showed that pressing RADIO + MEDIA might reboot the Android unit. This did not work. The Android unit was essentially frozen, locking up the Lexus computer as well. Hoping there is a good workaround as having to get to the center console is too much trouble.

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Ugh, my unit has stopped working. I have the 7.1 with wireless CarPlay in a 2018 RX350 F-Sport. When I start my car, I no longer see the mouse. I can only see the start-up disclaimer page (which I can't hit Continue without the mouse) and then it goes to the Lexus Map. The Menu/Map button no longer do anything. When I'm in Media mode, I can hear a beeping noise at different octaves. It seems the Android unit is in some funky state. I haven't had a chance to get behind the center console yet cuz it's a PITA to unscrew the 2 10mm bolts, especially the right one. And no, hitting MODE and up arrow button for 5 seconds to reset doesn't work.

I contacted COSMOS but he didn't seem to know what was going on. I wanted to post to the forum first to see if anyone has had the same issue. When I get time I will undo the center console and hopefully be able to reset something. Major hassle to have to redo this if this keeps happening.
Old 12-15-19, 06:36 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately I believe it's already been discussed in this forum that RX350 models are out of luck as it's a hardware issue, so any software upgrade won't apply to these models.

Originally Posted by wdarea24
Hello Everyone, recently one of the representative in lexus showroom told me that https://www.iclarified.com/70876/sel...arplay-upgrade carplay was made available for 2018 models. as per him more model like rx will have an software update in early 2020. can anyone validate this news?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
wdarea24 (12-16-19)
Old 12-15-19, 06:45 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

how about pressing and holding the Mode and the Up button on your steering wheel? I usually reboot the android box with that.

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I finally got time to take out the center console. Pulling out the top power connector worked. My mouse and Lexus menus are working. Apple Carplay is functional again. Another forum user sent me a private message saying the exact thing has happened to them. I emailed COSMOS about what I did, asking him if there was a way to reboot without having to take out the center console, as it has 2 10mm bolts and multiple trimming holding it in place. Waiting his response...

The one page document that came with the LSAIT showed that pressing RADIO + MEDIA might reboot the Android unit. This did not work. The Android unit was essentially frozen, locking up the Lexus computer as well. Hoping there is a good workaround as having to get to the center console is too much trouble.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350