RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 06:48 PM
PotOdds
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Right forgot to mention that was the other thing I tried. Didn't work. Tried multiple times with different pauses for at least 5 secs. I believe the difference here is that your Android box was probably still functioning ie mouse was working and you could get to Lexus menus. That wasn't the case for me and others.

Originally Posted by qvtruong
how about pressing and holding the Mode and the Up button on your steering wheel? I usually reboot the android box with that.
Old 12-17-19, 07:13 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aftermarket Apple CarPlay

Hello everyone. I’ve been contemplating trading in my 2019 RX 350 for a 2020 RX 350. The catalyst is the enhanced protection for the passenger that I heard about. Additionally, I never really fell in love with my 2019 RX. It has served me well and has never failed me. I don’t have navigation with it but will probably get navigation with the 2020 RX.

I’ve recently come across a couple of YouTube videos regarding the installation of devices that allow Apple CarPlay. This could be a turning point for me as I prefer iPhone map apps like Waze over the navigation offered by Lexus. Plus my local Lexus dealer wants $500 to upgrade the maps in my ES 350. I have yet to do that. Way overpriced. Has anyone installed the aftermarket CarPlay devices in their non-navigation RXs (or even navigation RXs)? If so, are there any issues worth noting? I’m got my eye on the beat sonic devices which cost $600 according to their website. Thank you.
Old 12-17-19, 08:48 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

2020 RX Has CarPlay already
Old 12-17-19, 08:56 AM
7two0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Details on how you acquired!!! Just bought 450h F sport & would love to have!
Old 12-17-19, 09:12 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

2 companies provide Carplay. Beat-Sonic and LSailt

There's a whole thread on the Lsailt version here..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...017-rx350.html
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (03-08-20)
Old 12-17-19, 10:31 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

I ordered a "Advanced carplay and: Optional wireless carplay with wire Android auto based on "Android 7.1 advanced"" a few weeks ago, should be arriving tomorrow hopefully.

I have a 2016 RX with the 12.3" screen with the Mark Levinson system and my iPhone is currently on iOS 13.2.3

I'll be looking to install it this weekend, but before I do, wanted to ask a few questions..

1. Are there any known bugs/issues that are currently still there that I should be aware of? or have they all been addressed by software updates already.
2. How do you actually do updates? Do i park in my garage and use the home wifi?
3. Is any OEM Lexus functionality impacted or compromised in any way?
4. I currently use bluetooth streaming to play youtube while driving for my daughter - will this still work correctly when I'm using carplay or connected to the android box? sound quality will be same?
5. Since I have the wireless kit on order, can I still use it wired if I want to?
6. Maybe i misunderstood reading this thread, but do I have a choice to play audio through bluetooth or aux? How exactly does it work?
7. If I want to run wired, which USB connection on the Lsailt box should I be using?
8. Will I be able to use carplay through any USB in the car? or only from those coming out of the lsailt box?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-19, 10:41 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NFaridi
I ordered a "Advanced carplay and: Optional wireless carplay with wire Android auto based on "Android 7.1 advanced"" a few weeks ago, should be arriving tomorrow hopefully.

I have a 2016 RX with the 12.3" screen with the Mark Levinson system and my iPhone is currently on iOS 13.2.3

I'll be looking to install it this weekend, but before I do, wanted to ask a few questions..

1. Are there any known bugs/issues that are currently still there that I should be aware of? or have they all been addressed by software updates already. The update provides iOS 13 compatibility and fixes wireless carplay stability issue.
2. How do you actually do updates? Do i park in my garage and use the home wifi? Update is available over the air in the autoplay app once you connect the android to your home WiFi or your phone hot spot.
3. Is any OEM Lexus functionality impacted or compromised in any way? No
4. I currently use bluetooth streaming to play youtube while driving for my daughter - will this still work correctly when I'm using carplay or connected to the android box? sound quality will be same? Yes and carplay audio is better than compressed Bluetooth. The android box also have native YouTube app you can play YouTube video directly in the android box app.

5. Since I have the wireless kit on order, can I still use it wired if I want to? Yes, you can still plug in via the usb.
6. Maybe i misunderstood reading this thread, but do I have a choice to play audio through bluetooth or aux? How exactly does it work?
carplay/android box music only plays audio via aux, phone call in carplay can go through aux or bt. My experience is the phone call quality is better via factory bt coz it leverage the center mount speaker while the aux doesn’t.

7. If I want to run wired, which USB connection on the Lsailt box should I be using? Either one works.

8. Will I be able to use carplay through any USB in the car? or only from those coming out of the lsailt box? No, only usb via lsailt port.

Thanks in advance!
see my answers in your quotes.
NFaridi (12-17-19)
Old 12-17-19, 10:56 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
see my answers in your quotes.
That was super helpful! Thank you so much for the quick and thorough response. It is most appreciated!
Old 12-17-19, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

You can play audio using BT and control it through Carplay if you want to.
NFaridi (12-17-19)
Old 12-17-19, 11:02 AM
mossytrees
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

@NFaridi @joeguan3rx Re: #6 -- when your phone is in "carplay" mode (for me that means being plugged in to the android box via the carplay adapter/dongle), it will add an audio output device called CarPlay to the iPhone's list of audio devices. It will also automatically switch over to using that device every time you connect to carplay. You can, at any time, switch which audio device it's playing to using the control center. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202769. Just tap the "control audio" icon and choose which device you want to play to -- Carplay, a connected bluetooth device (such as your Lexus audio system, or Airpods, or whatever), or over the speaker in the iPhone itself.

When you have Carplay selected as the audio device on your iPhone, it'll send all the audio to the Android Box. To get audio from the Android Box to your Lexus speakers, you have two options. The first is to switch your Lexus audio source to Aux. One of the Android Box's connectors essentially hijacks the Lexus "aux" input and feeds audio into it. That's the preferred way of course, but mine isn't working (my Aux option disappeared/grayed out completely after I installed my Android Box... I suspect I have a loose connection somewhere but haven't ripped it back apart to check) so I ended up going into the Android Settings app and pairing the Android box to the Lexus via Bluetooth. Now I set my audio source on the Lexus system to Bluetooth, and make sure it's connected to the Android Box as the bluetooth source (as an audio player), and I get the audio from the android box (including my iPhone which is playing to CarPlay) out through my Lexus speakers.
The following 3 users liked this post by mossytrees:
leedoobert (12-19-19), NFaridi (12-17-19), Pizzabad (03-06-21)
Old 12-17-19, 11:26 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Thank you SW17LS and mossytrees, that adds some more clarity.
Old 12-17-19, 11:55 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You can play audio using BT and control it through Carplay if you want to.
do you think music audio quality is better via aux when compared to bt? or is it just me in my head?
Old 12-17-19, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
do you think music audio quality is better via aux when compared to bt? or is it just me in my head?
Its absolutely better in AUX
Old 12-18-19, 04:28 AM
PotOdds
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI, another forum member has the same issue. Suggestion was to disconnect car battery for 10 seconds to get the system back online. Still intrusive but somewhat better going into the center console. The caveat is that some saved memory may get wiped out as well as the possibility of setting off the car alarm. I've had that happened to me a couple of times in the past with other cars

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I finally got time to take out the center console. Pulling out the top power connector worked. My mouse and Lexus menus are working. Apple Carplay is functional again. Another forum user sent me a private message saying the exact thing has happened to them. I emailed COSMOS about what I did, asking him if there was a way to reboot without having to take out the center console, as it has 2 10mm bolts and multiple trimming holding it in place. Waiting his response...

The one page document that came with the LSAIT showed that pressing RADIO + MEDIA might reboot the Android unit. This did not work. The Android unit was essentially frozen, locking up the Lexus computer as well. Hoping there is a good workaround as having to get to the center console is too much trouble.
Old 12-20-19, 07:07 PM
darrenph1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI there was an App Update on 12/17. I meant to post about it that day and forgot. It mentioned something about improvement on selecting "next track" I think. Not sure if that was meant for the Carplay side or Android side...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350