RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 07:17 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by darrenph1
FYI there was an App Update on 12/17. I meant to post about it that day and forgot. It mentioned something about improvement on selecting "next track" I think. Not sure if that was meant for the Carplay side or Android side...
There was a bug before in CarPlay where occasionally I have to click the next track button on the steering wheel twice for CarPlay to skip the song.
The following users liked this post:
darrenph1 (12-20-19)
Old 12-21-19, 07:22 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same here. I used to have a phone mount on my window but downgraded to one that stuck in the center console in the vents. There are still occasions where I find using phone better than the Lexus display. But Google Maps on the 12.3 display is really worth the upgrade and hassle to install. Plus when my LSAIT unit froze, I still had a backup.

Originally Posted by Aeon
I mean, it's still better than the useless stock unit. I removed my phone mount once I got my Lsailt box.
Old 12-21-19, 09:26 AM
Nevbro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just signed up CL to comment here, had been silent reader here for a while
bought and have it installed since last month on my RX-300 2019 with 12.3" HUD
and happy with my decision so far
i am not good with DIY but lucky to found some local audio store that sell and install lsailt for 600$

my version is :
MCU Aug 29, 2019
Hardware ID LXCN1700
APP: 2019/06/25 11:30 (lexus_abroad)
OS 7.1.1-802E(20190620)

wonder if any newer update available?

BTW just want to share something with you guys,
i'm android user and happy to find out that google assistant can work fine, just talk to your existing microphone

besides using voice command, i also plugged in my old bluetooth air mouse with qwerty keyboard and it work flawlessly compared to on screen keyboard , no more typo in typing in address or finding songs in youtube/spotify, you guys should have this
i plan to change with newer air mouse+keyboard WITH voice command(mic) so if needed, kids in back seat can also change song instead of asking me(driver) to do it,

i also bought an portable hotspot device with 4G data package and plugged it into one of the USB of lsailt
and in HUD displayed as 4G connection instead of wifi ,
now my phone battery can stay until night without need to plugged it in car

Old 12-21-19, 09:48 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

there is a new MCU update dated Dec 10, 2019. No major changes tho, so if it already works flawlessly, don’t need to update.

Originally Posted by Nevbro
just signed up CL to comment here, had been silent reader here for a while
bought and have it installed since last month on my RX-300 2019 with 12.3" HUD
and happy with my decision so far
i am not good with DIY but lucky to found some local audio store that sell and install lsailt for 600$

my version is :
MCU Aug 29, 2019
Hardware ID LXCN1700
APP: 2019/06/25 11:30 (lexus_abroad)
OS 7.1.1-802E(20190620)

wonder if any newer update available?

BTW just want to share something with you guys,
i'm android user and happy to find out that google assistant can work fine, just talk to your existing microphone

besides using voice command, i also plugged in my old bluetooth air mouse with qwerty keyboard and it work flawlessly compared to on screen keyboard , no more typo in typing in address or finding songs in youtube/spotify, you guys should have this
i plan to change with newer air mouse+keyboard WITH voice command(mic) so if needed, kids in back seat can also change song instead of asking me(driver) to do it,

i also bought an portable hotspot device with 4G data package and plugged it into one of the USB of lsailt
and in HUD displayed as 4G connection instead of wifi ,
now my phone battery can stay until night without need to plugged it in car
Old 12-21-19, 10:15 AM
Nevbro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qvtruong
there is a new MCU update dated Dec 10, 2019. No major changes tho, so if it already works flawlessly, don’t need to update.
Thanks
@qvtruong . I agree with your advice.
Do you happen to know what this update bring?
Old 12-21-19, 10:53 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

nope. I asked cosmo and he said not much change. No need to install if it already works

Originally Posted by Nevbro
Thanks
@qvtruong . I agree with your advice.
Do you happen to know what this update bring?
Old 12-21-19, 11:14 PM
Nevbro
Driver School Candidate

nope. I asked cosmo and he said not much change. No need to install if it already works
thanks @qvtruong
Old 12-22-19, 06:59 AM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

How about disconnecting the battery for a minute or two? That should cut all power to the unit and technically restart it, without having disassemble the whole trim again?

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Right forgot to mention that was the other thing I tried. Didn't work. Tried multiple times with different pauses for at least 5 secs. I believe the difference here is that your Android box was probably still functioning ie mouse was working and you could get to Lexus menus. That wasn't the case for me and others.
Old 12-24-19, 09:42 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

To those who have dropped the 10mm bolt on the side of the headunit - how did you get it out? Despite working with a magnet - i still managed to drop it
Old 12-24-19, 09:44 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

I just move on and forget it 😊

Go to the dealer and buy new bolt.

Originally Posted by NFaridi
To those who have dropped the 10mm bolt on the side of the headunit - how did you get it out? Despite working with a magnet - i still managed to drop it
Old 12-24-19, 01:06 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

I just move on and forget it 😊

Go to the dealer and buy new bolt.
Yea i'll have to buy a new bolt. But i'm more worried about rattling sounds coming inside the car from the loose bolt sliding around.
Old 12-24-19, 04:22 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Aeon
I've attached the instructions on how to remove the front console to get your dropped / rattling screw. It looks harder than it is, almost all panels snaps apart. Take the to clean the area as well, because it's super hard to clean between the seats otherwise.

Assuming the **** mods with too much time on their hands doesn't edit this post first.
Thank you so much!!
Old 12-24-19, 04:23 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny thing you asked - I actually did not drop the 10mm bolt but dropped the micro SD card. To take it out, pretty much took apart the center console. Then i used the opportunity to rout the USB wire back to the elbow rest compartment. See one of my earlier posts with pictures how to open the center console. See post # 693 in this thread.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by NFaridi
Old 12-24-19, 04:30 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by emhriv
Funny thing you asked - I actually did not drop the 10mm bolt but dropped the micro SD card. To take it out, pretty much took apart the center console. Then i used the opportunity to rout the USB wire back to the elbow rest compartment. See one of my earlier posts with pictures how to open the center console. See post # 693 in this thread.

Cheers!
Just took a look at your post, great idea! I'll see if I can manage that tomorrow. I noticed 2 or 3 pics aren't appearing in that post. Do you still have those images? I'm not sure if they're relevant overall or if we can make do without those images.
Also, do we need to remove SD card for anything?
Old 12-24-19, 04:53 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Couple of questions for you guys..

So I am almost done installing it, i just have to button up the panels I took out and route the USB wire into the armrest. Ran out of daylight today but will finish tomorrow.

I only ended up installing the following cables/wires today.
  • Power harness
  • LVDS cable - which connects to Lsailt box to the back of the 12.3" screen with a blue wire
  • USB wire from lsailt box and connected the wireless carplay dongle to the shortest USB wire. Then routed USB1 towards the armrest area. I wrapped USB2 wire and ziptied it with the rest of the wires that will go behind the headunit as I don't think i'll need it.
  • White short screen power cable which goes in the back of the 12.3" screen in between the screen and factory wire.
  • Cam PWR, GS12.3, SPK, and REAR C wires were not used - ziptied off

QUESTION(S) 1:
I didn't know if the SPEAKER and GPS unit need to be connected. Should those be installed? I have factory navigation and my iPhone of course.
Will the GPS still be necessary? and what is the Speaker for? Shouldn't all sound come out from the factory speakers?

QUESTION 2:
The B-ANT and W-ANT wires - do I just leave them as is? Seems like an exposed wire is not a good idea to leave exposed?

QUESTION 3:
Does anybody else get a black screen like this when they turn on the car? Is it because the mode is AUX and the LSailt box hasn't loaded up yet or something? or because phone hasn't connected yet?

QUESTION 4:
When i try to update the software/firmware, it's asking me for a password - anybody know where I find this pw?

Here's my current version out of the box:
(removed)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NFaridi; 12-25-19 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350