RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 09:44 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Upgrade to latest firmware. It supposed to restart the unit after 6 minutes if it gets frozen. I detailed it in one of my replies. Disconnecting the battery is the temporary solution.
Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Originally Posted by NFaridi
I messaged Cosmo almost a week ago and finally got a response 2 days ago saying he is currently on vacation. He'll respond as soon as he's able to. Just a heads up.
Thanks for the update. Here's hoping that the FW update will work.
Old 12-31-19, 09:45 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I used 7-zip tool to uncompress.

Originally Posted by SADAF
It is a compressed file but not a .zip file. It is actually .7z. I guess you need to get WinRAR to uncompress it.
Old 12-31-19, 10:00 AM
SADAF
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I used 7-zip tool to uncompress.
Is there any fuse to disconnect the power to the box/infotainment instead of disconnecting the car's battery? I do not feel comfortable to disconnect the battery since it sparks a little when I want to put it back.
Old 12-31-19, 10:22 AM
Gottspd
Driver

So here’s the latest. I pulled out fuses 15 and 17 (well the two radio fuses anyway) and now I no longer have the climate control error and the cursor is back. I tried switching to the android box and it won’t do so and I plugged in a usb drive with the updated fw files and nothing is happening. Minor progress in any event.
Old 12-31-19, 11:37 AM
PotOdds
Driver

As suggested, maybe unplugging a fuse. But hoping that the new firmware actually will work with the 6 minute restart.

Is there any fuse to disconnect the power to the box/infotainment instead of disconnecting the car's battery? I do not feel comfortable to disconnect the battery since it sparks a little when I want to put it back.
Old 12-31-19, 11:41 AM
Gottspd
Driver

So after a few mins of messing around, I got the android box to work! Mostly just pressing buttons! I really don’t know what I did but I’m happy it’s working. I don’t know if the fw update worked.
Old 12-31-19, 11:43 AM
PotOdds
Driver

If the Android box is not frozen, you can press MODE + UP ARROW to reboot the box. This works only if the LSAIT box is not frozen.

Originally Posted by Gottspd
So after a few mins of messing around, I got the android box to work! Mostly just pressing buttons! I really don’t know what I did but I’m happy it’s working. I don’t know if the fw update worked.
Old 01-02-20, 08:26 AM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound channels miswired.

I just noticed my kit was miswired like the photo on the left.

how can i change the pins? Need a special tool?

Originally Posted by jjj666
One more thing I did, is to switch the left and right sound channel wires. David from the company send me the attached photo, and following this the sound channels work fine now.

Old 01-02-20, 11:28 AM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best option?

Hello all, I just purchased our first Lexus for the wife and she’s loving it but she’s missing the CarPlay as she had it on her previous car. We got 2017 RX 350 F sport. I’m looking for the best option for aftermarket CarPlay. I have been reading a lot of the posts and it seems like the Lsalit is most used but I’m also seeing a lot of issues and frequent fixes being needed.

i see there are other options on eBay and beat sonic. I know the beat sonic does not offer wireless but it sounds like it works well with factory unit and buttons. Also I’ve seen GROM audio Vline2. Has anyone tried one of the other units on eBay/AliExpress?

Cost is not an issues since we own and will keep it a while.

please let me know what your thoughts and recommendations are.

thank you,

Last edited by landij; 01-02-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-02-20, 12:36 PM
SADAF
Driver School Candidate

Upgrade to the latest firmware. It supposed to restart the unit after 6 minutes if it gets frozen. I detailed it in one of my replies. Disconnecting the battery is the temporary solution.
I have a little progress in solving this issue. First of all, I unplugged the car battery for 20 sec and started the car to load up the multimedia and the android/CarPlay box. It was loaded up normally without any problem. I tried to upgrade the box using the thumb drive method mentioned earlier but it did not start the installation after I re-started the box using Mode+Arrow Up method. I tried many times but it did not initiate the installation. Thus, I tried to find out what could be the source of box freezing or crash in the booting process. I disabled and removed every application on the box that I knew I am not using or at least the box is not using. Now it is loading up faster without the boot issue. My suggestion to everyone! IF YOUR BOX IS WORKING FINE AND YOU ARE HAPPY, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE OR OTHER APPLICATIONS. This box is not still 100% a solid and reliable system.
Old 01-02-20, 07:18 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solved. Pins removed using a needle.

i used a needle to pry out the pins.

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
I just noticed my kit was miswired like the photo on the left.

how can i change the pins? Need a special tool?
Old 01-03-20, 09:44 AM
SADAF
Driver School Candidate

I have a little progress in solving this issue. First of all, I unplugged the car battery for 20 sec and started the car to load up the multimedia and the android/CarPlay box. It was loaded up normally without any problem. I tried to upgrade the box using the thumb drive method mentioned earlier but it did not start the installation after I re-started the box using Mode+Arrow Up method. I tried many times but it did not initiate the installation. Thus, I tried to find out what could be the source of box freezing or crash in the booting process. I disabled and removed every application on the box that I knew I am not using or at least the box is not using. Now it is loading up faster without the boot issue. My suggestion to everyone! IF YOUR BOX IS WORKING FINE AND YOU ARE HAPPY, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE OR OTHER APPLICATIONS. This box is not still 100% a solid and reliable system.
OMG It happened again this morning. So Frustrating. Please help.
Old 01-03-20, 09:54 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

OMG It happened again this morning. So Frustrating. Please help.
The update using the flash drive wasn't working for me either. I had just copied the file into flash drive as per the instructions.

I reached out to Cosmo who responded with "you need to copy the whole folder with img file and other 2 file with it" to do the manual update.

I haven't tried it myself yet, haven't had an opportunity. I'm hoping this will be able to trigger the update installation.
Old 01-03-20, 10:11 AM
SADAF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NFaridi
The update using the flash drive wasn't working for me either. I had just copied the file into flash drive as per the instructions.

I reached out to Cosmo who responded with "you need to copy the whole folder with img file and other 2 file with it" to do the manual update.

I haven't tried it myself yet, haven't had an opportunity. I'm hoping this will be able to trigger the update installation.
I did that too. I put all files but it did not work
Old 01-03-20, 10:54 AM
Lex918
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Cost for this is $690.
Installation should be free as I will perform the install myself.

Is it worth it? Apple Carplay vs just Bluetooth audio from phone?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350