RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Totally worth it.

The CarPlay isn’t really for audio. It’s the Waze and google maps and the better interface for phone calls and texts.
The following users liked this post:
joejoejoe (01-04-20)
Old 01-03-20, 11:04 AM
SADAF
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Totally worth it.

The CarPlay isn’t really for audio. It’s the Waze and google maps and the better interface for phone calls and texts.
It still has many bugs. In my opinion, it is still early for their company to release an unfinished system. It troubles many people.
Old 01-03-20, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by SADAF
It still has many bugs. In my opinion, it is still early for their company to release an unfinished system. It troubles many people.
Its not perfect, but it totally revamps the tired Lexus infotainment. I use it every day and it’s worth the the hiccups.
Old 01-03-20, 11:45 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Different people are reporting different experiences. Some positive, some negative, some mixed. Depends on how much you use the different components of your system in my opinion. I'm personally in the mixed category. I too am having some frustrations but I also realize that some of those frustrations are also because it's not a factory integrated system and it will have some limitations (i.e., sound levels being off - i hear clearer sound in carplay mode playing music but it's not quite as loud or bassy as when i'm streaming through the car's bluetooth), not able to see climate control change notifications when in carplay mode). At the end of the day it's an aftermarket add-on. One thing I do appreciate is that none of the factory systems are compromised. I don't need google maps or waze every day, but on the occasion that I do, i can just switch to AUX and use it with its limitations.

Having said that I'm still actively trying to resolve my issues. Just ends up being that you're waiting on cosmo or the mercy of the experienced members here who may have encountered such issues.

Here's the issues/troubles I'm experiencing if anyone has any answers:

1. Updating firmware over wifi - i got the update password from cosmo - but once i tried to update - i keep getting "failure" message. When i try to login again using same password - the password doesn't work.

2. Updating firmware by manually uploading update file through USB. No matter how many times i try to restart the system after plugging in flash drive to USB1, I can't get it to actually start update.

3. Getting wireless Carplay to work with just bluetooth and not wifi as well. Cosmo says i don't need wifi however carplay is asking me to turn on wifi on my phone in order to connect.

4. Audio quality in Carplay is definitely clearer but it's not as loud or bass-filled as streaming through the car's own bluetooth.

5. High pitch but very low volume whine when there's nothing playing over the audio in aux/carplay mode. If i press the gas pedal a little bit the whine pitch gets higher.

Last edited by NFaridi; 01-03-20 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-03-20, 01:21 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a small screwdriver (used for repairing glasses or similar one) to push up the pin (the pins are on both sided of the harness, be very careful and don't break the pin) and the wire should be able to be pulled out easily.
The following users liked this post:
joejoejoe (01-04-20)
Old 01-04-20, 12:15 AM
antnida
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by landij
Hello all, I just purchased our first Lexus for the wife and she’s loving it but she’s missing the CarPlay as she had it on her previous car. We got 2017 RX 350 F sport. I’m looking for the best option for aftermarket CarPlay. I have been reading a lot of the posts and it seems like the Lsalit is most used but I’m also seeing a lot of issues and frequent fixes being needed.

i see there are other options on eBay and beat sonic. I know the beat sonic does not offer wireless but it sounds like it works well with factory unit and buttons. Also I’ve seen GROM audio Vline2. Has anyone tried one of the other units on eBay/AliExpress?

Cost is not an issues since we own and will keep it a while.

please let me know what your thoughts and recommendations are.

thank you,
I bought the Beat Sonic for my wife's 2017 rx350 f sport. I'll install it next week n post some updates
Old 01-04-20, 08:03 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

to update, you need to put the files into a folder in your thumbdrive and name it “update” If you put the files directly to the thumbdrive, it will not work. The files need to be in the “update” folder.

source: I put the files directly to the thumbdrive, it doesnt work. After I put them to a folder and name it “update” it works.

Originally Posted by SADAF
OMG It happened again this morning. So Frustrating. Please help.
Old 01-04-20, 08:11 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

see my comment #991. You probably need to put the files into a folder and name it “update”

Originally Posted by NFaridi
The update using the flash drive wasn't working for me either. I had just copied the file into flash drive as per the instructions.

I reached out to Cosmo who responded with "you need to copy the whole folder with img file and other 2 file with it" to do the manual update.

I haven't tried it myself yet, haven't had an opportunity. I'm hoping this will be able to trigger the update installation.
Old 01-04-20, 08:20 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

see my comment # 991 regarding the firmware update.

regarding update over wifi, I suggest not to update unless you have a specific issue and recommended by cosmo to update. Don’t fix if its not broken. Every update will potentially brick your box (this includes big software companies like Apple and Microsoft, though these big companies also provides recommended security updates). Also, for this box, some updates showing up on the update page include those engineers using to test their system (they dont have a separate testing server), so you may not be able to update some of them. It will show update failed for a couple of them. Just ignore them.

CarPlay needs wifi. This is how Apple make carplay works. Bluetooth is currently too slow for CarPlay. This is how it works. CarPlay will initiate the connection using Bluetooth. Once the Bluetooth connection is authenticated, it will request wifi access point. Once the wifi is connected, Bluetooth will be disconnected (tho you still see it says bluetooth connected on iPhone). After that, all audio and video stream are transferred through wifi, not bluetooth.

if you have issue connecting to wireless Carplay when one of the above automatic steps failed, you can disable Wifi Networking and Bluetooth in the Location Services on iPhone. Go to Setting, Privacy, System Services, toggle off Wifi Networking and Bluetooth. This happens to many people, including those with Alpine and Pionner headunit. iOS has issue with handing over wifi connection to CarPlay. You can read more here: https://reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comment...ty_problem_on/

Different people are reporting different experiences. Some positive, some negative, some mixed. Depends on how much you use the different components of your system in my opinion. I'm personally in the mixed category. I too am having some frustrations but I also realize that some of those frustrations are also because it's not a factory integrated system and it will have some limitations (i.e., sound levels being off - i hear clearer sound in carplay mode playing music but it's not quite as loud or bassy as when i'm streaming through the car's bluetooth), not able to see climate control change notifications when in carplay mode). At the end of the day it's an aftermarket add-on. One thing I do appreciate is that none of the factory systems are compromised. I don't need google maps or waze every day, but on the occasion that I do, i can just switch to AUX and use it with its limitations.

Having said that I'm still actively trying to resolve my issues. Just ends up being that you're waiting on cosmo or the mercy of the experienced members here who may have encountered such issues.

Here's the issues/troubles I'm experiencing if anyone has any answers:

1. Updating firmware over wifi - i got the update password from cosmo - but once i tried to update - i keep getting "failure" message. When i try to login again using same password - the password doesn't work.

2. Updating firmware by manually uploading update file through USB. No matter how many times i try to restart the system after plugging in flash drive to USB1, I can't get it to actually start update.

3. Getting wireless Carplay to work with just bluetooth and not wifi as well. Cosmo says i don't need wifi however carplay is asking me to turn on wifi on my phone in order to connect.

4. Audio quality in Carplay is definitely clearer but it's not as loud or bass-filled as streaming through the car's own bluetooth.

5. High pitch but very low volume whine when there's nothing playing over the audio in aux/carplay mode. If i press the gas pedal a little bit the whine pitch gets higher.

Last edited by qvtruong; 01-04-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 10:14 AM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Totally worth it.

For Lexus parts, even a single small LED turning light bulb costs $500, let alone the Lexus infotainment system. To me, the Weakness off the RX is the infotainment system. If you can revamp it with the latest carplay... at the cost of something below $1000, It’s a good option to have.

also, carplay and Android auto are not perfect even in the manufactured version. Look at all the complaints from the users who drive the cars with the factory built carplay. My Honda Odyssey comes with carplay built in, but it too has so many problems.

i am just thankful that I have an option to add carplay to my RX.

Originally Posted by Lex918
Cost for this is $690.
Installation should be free as I will perform the install myself.

Is it worth it? Apple Carplay vs just Bluetooth audio from phone?

Thanks
Old 01-04-20, 03:18 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
to update, you need to put the files into a folder in your thumbdrive and name it “update” If you put the files directly to the thumbdrive, it will not work. The files need to be in the “update” folder.

source: I put the files directly to the thumbdrive, it doesnt work. After I put them to a folder and name it “update” it works.

My unit is 6.0, can I update to 7.0 using the 7z file?
Old 01-04-20, 06:33 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

see my comment # 991 regarding the firmware update.

regarding update over wifi, I suggest not to update unless you have a specific issue and recommended by cosmo to update. Don’t fix if its not broken. Every update will potentially brick your box (this includes big software companies like Apple and Microsoft, though these big companies also provides recommended security updates). Also, for this box, some updates showing up on the update page include those engineers using to test their system (they dont have a separate testing server), so you may not be able to update some of them. It will show update failed for a couple of them. Just ignore them.

CarPlay needs wifi. This is how Apple make carplay works. Bluetooth is currently too slow for CarPlay. This is how it works. CarPlay will initiate the connection using Bluetooth. Once the Bluetooth connection is authenticated, it will request wifi access point. Once the wifi is connected, Bluetooth will be disconnected (tho you still see it says bluetooth connected on iPhone). After that, all audio and video stream are transferred through wifi, not bluetooth.

if you have issue connecting to wireless Carplay when one of the above automatic steps failed, you can disable Wifi Networking and Bluetooth in the Location Services on iPhone. Go to Setting, Privacy, System Services, toggle off Wifi Networking and Bluetooth. This happens to many people, including those with Alpine and Pionner headunit. iOS has issue with handing over wifi connection to CarPlay. You can read more here: https://reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comment...ty_problem_on/

Thank you so much! I will give it a try again once I have an opportunity. I mainly want the fix in the carplay navigation where the first 2-3 words are not heard. that's the reason I wanted to update.
Old 01-04-20, 07:18 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

oh then install the “FixNaviSound” in the over the air update. After you click install, you will see an icon in your homescreen. Open it, click on the button “FixNaviSound” then the box will restart itself
Below is screenshot from instruction video

Thank you so much! I will give it a try again once I have an opportunity. I mainly want the fix in the carplay navigation where the first 2-3 words are not heard. that's the reason I wanted to update.

Last edited by qvtruong; 01-04-20 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 05:26 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

oh then install the “FixNaviSound” in the over the air update. After you click install, you will see an icon in your homescreen. Open it, click on the button “FixNaviSound” then the box will restart itself
Below is screenshot from instruction video

So i did this install yesterday. After the install is complete, is the "FixNaviSound" icon supposed to disappear? or does it always stay there?

After the system restarted and when I use carplay i still am finding a slight delay in the sound. Is this fix supposed to resolve completely? or just make it slightly better?
Old 01-06-20, 06:55 AM
ValnVer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone,

I have a 2015 GS AWD w/ML so keep that in mind when reading this post, I'm not sure how much this problem affect RX's if at all; but I want to give any other GS drivers a heads up (in case they come across this thread like myself and decide to purchase) about an issue they'll have to deal with. I have the newer version of the box (7.1) with wireless carplay where you have to be in AUX mode to get audio. For me, and at least one other GS driver I've spoken to via PM, although he says it's not as loud for him but it's there, there is an RPM whine when my car is in AUX mode that is ABSOLUTELY unbearable for me, imagine nails on a chalk board, not the same sound, but for me it's that level unbearable to deal with (the other GS driver has a 2013 if I remember correctly btw). The higher the rpm the louder the whine.

I emphasize "for me" not because I think other GS drivers wont notice it because I highly suspect it'll be there but because everyone will perceive this noise differently. I also had a lot of the other issues spoken about here but other users but unfortunately troubleshooting wasn't necessary because I cannot use the unit with the sound it makes in AUX mode.

Also, and this is strictly for 4th gen GS drivers, the unit CANNOT fit behind the head unit, the space needed is just not there for use. I'm fairly certain (as I did this myself) you will have to completely remove the head unit and tuck the unit a little further back and to the side (not directly behind) the head unit and route the wiring (for access) out of one of the side panels. I guess it's possible to route the usb inputs and wireless dongle to the glove compartment or center console but I can't speak to that as I didn't try (cable length might also come into play). Any time you later have to get to the box itself will likely be a huge PITA. However, fwiw and to be fair... for the veeeery short time I had the unit installed and tested google nav (10 mins max) it seemed to work decently. You WILL have to seach, find and DL an older version of Netflix if you want to use it.

EDIT: I have short vids of the noise, if anyone is dying to see it PM me and I'll share. I think it's pretty bad in the vids but believe me the vids don't do it justice as it's much worse in person.

Last edited by ValnVer; 01-06-20 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350