RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 07:08 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ValnVer
Hey everyone,

I have a 2015 GS AWD w/ML so keep that in mind when reading this post, I'm not sure how much this problem affect RX's if at all; but I want to give any other GS drivers a heads up (in case they come across this thread like myself and decide to purchase) about an issue they'll have to deal with. I have the newer version of the box (7.1) with wireless carplay where you have to be in AUX mode to get audio. For me, and at least one other GS driver I've spoken to via PM, although he says it's not as loud for him but it's there, there is an RPM whine when my car is in AUX mode that is ABSOLUTELY unbearable for me, imagine nails on a chalk board, not the same sound, but for me it's that level unbearable to deal with (the other GS driver has a 2013 if I remember correctly btw). The higher the rpm the louder the whine.

I emphasize "for me" not because I think other GS drivers wont notice it because I highly suspect it'll be there but because everyone will perceive this noise differently. I also had a lot of the other issues spoken about here but other users but unfortunately troubleshooting wasn't necessary because I cannot use the unit with the sound it makes in AUX mode.

Also, and this is strictly for 4th gen GS drivers, the unit CANNOT fit behind the head unit, the space needed is just not there for use. I'm fairly certain (as I did this myself) you will have to completely remove the head unit and tuck the unit a little further back and to the side (not directly behind) the head unit and route the wiring (for access) out of one of the side panels. I guess it's possible to route the usb inputs and wireless dongle to the glove compartment or center console but I can't speak to that as I didn't try (cable length might also come into play). Any time you later have to get to the box itself will likely be a huge PITA. However, fwiw and to be fair... for the veeeery short time I had the unit installed and tested google nav (10 mins max) it seemed to work decently. You WILL have to seach, find and DL an older version of Netflix if you want to use it.

EDIT: I have short vids of the noise, if anyone is dying to see it PM me and I'll share. I think it's pretty bad in the vids but believe me the vids don't do it justice as it's much worse in person.
I have that same RPM whine and it drives me nuts as well. Not sure how to resolve it.
Old 01-06-20, 08:54 AM
fusion243
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished my installation the other weekend. Installed to the footwell for ease of access in future (already needed once for a power-pull reset) and the whole thing took me an embarrassing amount of time but I didn't want to rush it. The most annoying thing was that, thanks to all the preparation and care taken on advice of this thread, I managed to both remove and install the 10mm bolts without incident but then, in a freak incident, managed to lose a screwdriver bit into the dash via the slot opened up around the screen. Fortunately no rattling as I think it must have landed on some of the insulation material. For me the installation was for use with a Pixel 4 so I thought I would share my observations on the Android Auto experience...

Notes from my installation:
  1. Installed the latest firmware - thanks @PotOdds
  2. Android Auto works well but is stretched at full screen. Therefore I've set the screen resolution to "original" so at least the aspect ratio is good but 1/3 of the screen is wasted
  3. Using wired Android Auto it doesn't lose charge (charges at roughly 2% an hour in fact!)
  4. Apple Carplay works flawlessly, wireless included. However, I only tested my wife's iPhone XS Max (who doesn't drive) briefly so can't speak to long-term use
  5. Cosmo has been a huge help, taking me through the steps to resolve software issues with the install (losing Lexus cursor and audio truncating)
  6. Cosmo mentioned wireless Android Auto wireless support and since I have a Pixel 4 (one of the few models to support it) I hope to test and report on this in the not too distant future
  7. From my reading, Android Auto does also support [super] widescreen now but generally requires a firmware update so Cosmo has said he will look into this
Finally, a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Great to see the how everyone has supported each other and without so many detailed write-ups, I would never have had the confidence to do something like this myself, especially to my cherished RX!

The following 2 users liked this post by fusion243:
BriGuy832 (06-15-20), joejoejoe (01-12-20)
Old 01-06-20, 06:43 PM
SADAF
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qvtruong
to update, you need to put the files into a folder in your thumbdrive and name it “update” If you put the files directly to the thumbdrive, it will not work. The files need to be in the “update” folder.

source: I put the files directly to the thumbdrive, it doesnt work. After I put them to a folder and name it “update” it works.

It worked. Thanks
Old 01-07-20, 10:20 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

I was able to do the update through USB as well. However i'm trying to find how to update the screen resolution back to full-screen. I can't seem to find the setting.

Here's what i'm seeing currently:

Right side of screen is flickering

I tried following what decngb wrote earlier but it's not working for me.

Originally Posted by decngb
I forgot about that. Here are the instructions for correcting stretched Carplay when everything else appears normal. I can't seem to add the video here, but follow these steps. If this doesn't work for you, I'll figure out how to upload to Youtube and share a link.

From the Android interface: Apps -> Settings -> Apps (under Device) -> AutoPlay -> Storage -> Clear Data -> OK -> [Back Arrow] -> Force Stop -> OK

Then start CarPlay. On my system, the "Connecting" screen still appears stretched, but when the CarPlay icons screen shows up, everything is good - 5 icons across and 2 down.

Last edited by NFaridi; 01-07-20 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 05:11 PM
antnida
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done with installing the Beat Sonic unit and everything went well. I chose this unit due to the company is here in the US and my phone call for support was returned shortly after I left the message. If anyone considering this unit and would like some additional info that I might be able to help let me know. I tested both with Iphone and Android, Waze navigation while news/music is playing. no glitch just yet. I routed my USB cable through the little gap by the front power supply.

a
Old 01-07-20, 05:19 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by antnida
I just got done with installing the Beat Sonic unit and everything went well. I chose this unit due to the company is here in the US and my phone call for support was returned shortly after I left the message. If anyone considering this unit and would like some additional info that I might be able to help let me know. I tested both with Iphone and Android, Waze navigation while news/music is playing. no glitch just yet. I routed my USB cable through the little gap by the front power supply.

a
Great work on the install! One thing to note based on the look of your screen. Step 7, Adjust screen resolution was skipped. This will give a better look with 5 icons across.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/

Last edited by BeatSonic; 01-07-20 at 05:20 PM. Reason: additional notes
Old 01-07-20, 05:51 PM
antnida
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
Great work on the install! One thing to note based on the look of your screen. Step 7, Adjust screen resolution was skipped. This will give a better look with 5 icons across.
Oops, I did it for the volume but skipped the resolution changes. Not too bad to take out the deck, I'll be back at it tomorrow morning and fix that issue.
Old 01-07-20, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The stretched look was an issue for me with the BeatSonic kit...glad to know it can be fixed now.

How does functionality compare to the Lsalit kit?
Old 01-07-20, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Looking at the YouTube videos, the icons are still
stretched even in the wide mode with the 5 icon configuration which is a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-07-20, 06:39 PM
ernie999
Driver School Candidate

NFaridi - To update the screen resolution back to full-screen, the advice I got from Lsailt support is to uninstall AutoPlay then re-install it. I did that and it worked. As I recall, I re-installed the AutoPlay app from an Android package file (.apk) on a USB drive. Lsailt sent me the Android .apk file for AutoPlay. I have seen the WiFi Update Failure messages you mentioned. I'm not sure how important those app updates really are. Sometimes the WiFi update does succeed.

There is also a Factory Settings option where you can choose options such as Lexus 1280, but that didn't seem to change the resolution to full-screen when I tried it.

Originally Posted by NFaridi
I was able to do the update through USB as well. However i'm trying to find how to update the screen resolution back to full-screen. I can't seem to find the setting.

Old 01-07-20, 11:20 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

If you don’t have a usb or don’t want to use usb, you can upload them to your google drive. Then use chrome on the android box to go to your google drive, download and install the apk from there.
The following users liked this post:
NFaridi (01-08-20)
Old 01-07-20, 11:29 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

By the look of the first screenshot, you need to go to the Factory Setting, Screen Type, and select “Lexus 1280.” It will ask to reboot. The Android interface should be in widescreen after the reboot.

then if the Autoplay app is not in full screen, you can try to go to the Android setting, Apps, and clear the AutoPlay app cache. If thats still not successful, uninstall the autoplay app and reinstall using the apk (either using usb or cloud storage).

Originally Posted by NFaridi

Old 01-08-20, 05:59 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by qvtruong
By the look of the first screenshot, you need to go to the Factory Setting, Screen Type, and select “Lexus 1280.” It will ask to reboot. The Android interface should be in widescreen after the reboot.

then if the Autoplay app is not in full screen, you can try to go to the Android setting, Apps, and clear the AutoPlay app cache. If thats still not successful, uninstall the autoplay app and reinstall using the apk (either using usb or cloud storage).
Thank you! I got it working with yours and cosmo's instructions. He just sent me a video of the same thing.
Old 01-09-20, 05:42 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Anybody know how to add AutoPlay:

1. To the main Android dashboard screen
2. To App Path > Navigation Path

I don't see AutoPlay available in any of those screens

Cosmo had mentioned to try E DOG PATH to add to Navigation Path, but I don't see AutoPlay in there either.
Old 01-15-20, 08:39 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Starting two weeks ago, the unit started to give me problem. Whenever I started the car, the mouse pad no longer worked (I cannot use the map key, no mouse cursor, mouse pad not working). Every time, I have to disconnect the power cable to the unit (since I put the unit outside) and then power on to make the mouse pad, cursor, and map key work again. Not sure why and if there is an easy fix? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350