RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 09:53 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to connect wireless carplay sound via Bluetooth?

I love my wireless carplay.
but i have 2 issues.
1) phone call quality is not good. I can hear others well, but other people can’t hear me well.
2) aux connection has constant static noise.

if I switch the sound to Lexus built in Bluetooth, then the issues above are fixed, and as an added bonus, i can use control using the car switches (pause, next, etc). Some says the Bluetooth sound quality is not as good as aux connection, but I would choose Bluetooth over aux to fix the issues above.

my question is, is there an easy way to maintain the Bluetooth connection with RX while the carplay starts up? I manually have to switch the carplay sound from carplay to Lexus RX Bluetooth every time carplay wireless connection starts.

Or can Lsalit make change to their carplay so that users can select their preferred sound connection (aux vs BT)?
Old 01-16-20, 05:01 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This issue seems to be popping up more often. Currently working with COSMO to troubleshoot the issue. After upgrading to latest firmware, it did not help. My unit is still getting frozen. The common theme it seems is when I haven't used the car for a week, it will go into the frozen state.

I have a MOV video that shows a clicking sound emitting from unit on AUX. Too large to upload here but I did send it to COSMO. Only disconnecting the battery will restart the unit.

Latest firmware was supposed to fix this issue by restarting the LSAIT unit after 6 minutes of inactivity. Doesn't work. COSMO has asked me to ship back the unit to him to check out the motherboard. He think it may be soldering issue. I'm in the process of doing that.

Originally Posted by jjj666
Starting two weeks ago, the unit started to give me problem. Whenever I started the car, the mouse pad no longer worked (I cannot use the map key, no mouse cursor, mouse pad not working). Every time, I have to disconnect the power cable to the unit (since I put the unit outside) and then power on to make the mouse pad, cursor, and map key work again. Not sure why and if there is an easy fix? Thanks!
Old 01-16-20, 04:31 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Default Unit freeze. No response from carplay. No mouse control.

well, it happened to mine too. No response from the carplay. And when it freezes, you can hear click noise via AUX source. Only way to fix, that I know of, is to disconnect the power from it. At this point, it is a must to place the unit in or near the passenger foot well for easy access to the unit when it freezes.

Originally Posted by PotOdds
This issue seems to be popping up more often. Currently working with COSMO to troubleshoot the issue. After upgrading to latest firmware, it did not help. My unit is still getting frozen. The common theme it seems is when I haven't used the car for a week, it will go into the frozen state.

I have a MOV video that shows a clicking sound emitting from unit on AUX. Too large to upload here but I did send it to COSMO. Only disconnecting the battery will restart the unit.

Latest firmware was supposed to fix this issue by restarting the LSAIT unit after 6 minutes of inactivity. Doesn't work. COSMO has asked me to ship back the unit to him to check out the motherboard. He think it may be soldering issue. I'm in the process of doing that.
Old 01-16-20, 05:24 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Unfortunately I think it may be due to the fact that COSMO and company haven't properly field tested the unit in a day to day scenario. It seems the videos that they show has some kind of simulator to test the unit. I took pictures of the motherboard and sent them to COSMO but I did not see any issues with bad soldering. If it still shows the same problem once I send it to them, gonna ask for a refund. Resetting the battery is too much trouble to do every other week as I don't drive that much.

Beatsonic, I don't believe has the wireless component, otherwise I would give them a shot.

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
well, it happened to mine too. No response from the carplay. And when it freezes, you can hear click noise via AUX source. Only way to fix, that I know of, is to disconnect the power from it. At this point, it is a must to place the unit in or near the passenger foot well for easy access to the unit when it freezes.
Old 01-17-20, 01:47 AM
fusion243
Driver School Candidate

I had this too the other week after only 4 days away from the car. Latest firmware etc.

So glad I installed to the foot well!

Old 01-17-20, 05:43 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Is there any way for the Carplay unit to be using power even when the car is turned off?

I gave in my RX to the dealer for oil change and exhaust drone + hesitation TSB fixes last Saturday. I went to go pick up the car yesterday (thursday) evening and the battery was dead to the point where it wouldn't even start without a jump start.

Mine is a 2016 with 24k miles on it. I drive 120 miles daily, 5-6 days a week, so it's not like the car just sits there or anything. I found it extremely strange that the battery would get so weak out of the blue. It hasn't even been freezing here this past week. The only thing that came to mind as to what may be drawing power was the carplay unit as it's really the only modification i've made to the car, everything else is stock. Either that or a tech left the car turned on for a few hours or something.
Old 01-17-20, 08:50 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Foot well isn't a great solution. I tried to also move it down there but the covering was a pain in the *** to move. I don't want to do any modifications to the cover.

Originally Posted by fusion243
I had this too the other week after only 4 days away from the car. Latest firmware etc.

So glad I installed to the foot well!
Old 01-17-20, 10:07 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by NFaridi
Is there any way for the Carplay unit to be using power even when the car is turned off?

I gave in my RX to the dealer for oil change and exhaust drone + hesitation TSB fixes last Saturday. I went to go pick up the car yesterday (thursday) evening and the battery was dead to the point where it wouldn't even start without a jump start.

Mine is a 2016 with 24k miles on it. I drive 120 miles daily, 5-6 days a week, so it's not like the car just sits there or anything. I found it extremely strange that the battery would get so weak out of the blue. It hasn't even been freezing here this past week. The only thing that came to mind as to what may be drawing power was the carplay unit as it's really the only modification i've made to the car, everything else is stock. Either that or a tech left the car turned on for a few hours or something.
If it was dead at the dealer, then I would say they did something to kill it. Drive it for a while and it'll probably be fine, assuming they didn't do something that constantly drains the battery.
The following users liked this post:
NFaridi (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Question, those of you that are having these issues are you all using the wireless?
Old 01-17-20, 11:36 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
If it was dead at the dealer, then I would say they did something to kill it. Drive it for a while and it'll probably be fine, assuming they didn't do something that constantly drains the battery.
That's what I'm thinking too, but just wasn't sure since this Lsailt unit isn't exactly a fully refined product lol
Old 01-17-20, 12:38 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NFaridi
That's what I'm thinking too, but just wasn't sure since this Lsailt unit isn't exactly a fully refined product lol
We went out of town for 4 days and parked car without starting. After came back, the car started normally, so I think the unit shouldn't be a problem
Old 01-18-20, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I wonder if the wireless dongle is somehow causing the issue.
Old 01-20-20, 10:35 AM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

i don’t know why it’s hard for you... to me it’s as easy as removing a floor mat.

you just have to stick in your head right under the glovebox.

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Foot well isn't a great solution. I tried to also move it down there but the covering was a pain in the *** to move. I don't want to do any modifications to the cover.
Old 01-20-20, 12:30 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i don’t know why it’s hard for you... to me it’s as easy as removing a floor mat.

same here 30 minutes first installed and tested then another hour to tidy up things. Can’t complain how well the wireless carplay has worked for me. 9 month no issues and every firmware update adds minor improvements. I love it.
Old 01-21-20, 09:20 PM
PotOdds
Driver

I have a 2018 RX350 F-Sport. Any chance you have a video detailing the removal of the passenger side panel? The only other video I've seen showed the complete removal of the glovebox. I've stuck my head near the glovebox multiple times to undo 10mm bolt holding the center console. The side panel is held very strongly and I don't want to pull too hard, in case it might snap something.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350