RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 09:24 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Very fortunate for you. 30 minute total time? You must do a lot of tinkering with your car. The 10mm bolt alone was an issue (right side). Very easy to lose. A must to have a magnetic bolt head What year SUV you have? As I'm not the only one having this issue, wondering if it's due to a later Android hardware build.

The whole installation is made doubly hard by the lack of proper documentation for a $500-600 item. I've had to go to a Grom videos to figure out how to do the install.

I've shipped the Android unit back to COSMO and he promises to make it perfect. We'll see. I was hoping he would have given me a definite reason why it will work perfect like there was hardware defect in later builds but all he said was he would make it right. Not exactly inspiring. I'll update when I get it back. Prob be 2 months before I can verify that the problem is gone or not.

You contrast this with the experience of buying/owning a Lexus. Very trouble-free, smooth high end refined experience.

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
same here 30 minutes first installed and tested then another hour to tidy up things. Can’t complain how well the wireless carplay has worked for me. 9 month no issues and every firmware update adds minor improvements. I love it.

Last edited by PotOdds; 01-21-20 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 01:10 PM
4wheeler
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
If it was dead at the dealer, then I would say they did something to kill it. Drive it for a while and it'll probably be fine, assuming they didn't do something that constantly drains the battery.
Was out of the country for 6 weeks. My '17 started effortlessly and it was 20F.
I am not an expert but the connections we tweak ( to the head unit and the display ) should not be using battery power when off.

I dont have the wireless one.

Last edited by 4wheeler; 01-22-20 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 01:59 PM
4wheeler
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HI joeguan3rx,

How does the AUX loop help? I have it installed without and works like a charm.
Old 01-25-20, 06:42 PM
rokayjon
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vline 2 carplay does not work -- Help!

So I have a 2016 RX350 and bought the GromAudio VLINE 2. I installed it last night. Everything works except CARPLAY. When I plugin my iphone via the lightening connector, the carplay icon remains grayed out. When I click on the carplay icon, it reads "UI disabled".

I am using a genuine apple lightening connector (used three separate ones in case there was an issue with the line). I also tried two different iphones... but each time Carplay does not work. What do I have to do in order to get CARPLAY to work? Has someone else experienced this? Is the unit defective?

Last edited by rokayjon; 01-25-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 10:55 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rokayjon
So I have a 2016 RX350 and bought the GromAudio VLINE 2. I installed it last night. Everything works except CARPLAY. When I plugin my iphone via the lightening connector, the carplay icon remains grayed out. When I click on the carplay icon, it reads "UI disabled".

I am using a genuine apple lightening connector (used three separate ones in case there was an issue with the line). I also tried two different iphones... but each time Carplay does not work. What do I have to do in order to get CARPLAY to work? Has someone else experienced this? Is the unit defective?
Keep tapping on the "Disabled" until it becomes enabled (about 10 times), then select "Automatically".
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (01-28-20)
Old 01-31-20, 01:45 PM
artpvlv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rokayjon

can you please post a couple of photos how carplay looks with grom vline 2 on lexus rx?
Old 02-01-20, 06:39 PM
zaldwaik
Driver School Candidate

Default Mirroring stopped working

I have installed mine on 2019 rx350 months ago and it has been flawless with wireless carplay. At the time I installed, I tested iphone mirroring and it worked fine. I tried today, and while it is "connected" it does not show anything, or it shows white area instead of iphone screen content randomly. I have not upgraded or done anything since the install.

Can someone try mirroring on iphone and see if it works, and let us know which ios version? Thanks.
Old 02-04-20, 09:50 AM
artpvlv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zaldwaik
I have installed mine on 2019 rx350 months ago and it has been flawless with wireless carplay. At the time I installed, I tested iphone mirroring and it worked fine. I tried today, and while it is "connected" it does not show anything, or it shows white area instead of iphone screen content randomly. I have not upgraded or done anything since the install.

Can someone try mirroring on iphone and see if it works, and let us know which ios version? Thanks.
funny thing is that i cant seem to find a single video of a carplay working on rx with vline2.
i asked it on official gromaudio youtube Chanel.
keep asking it here....nothing
i wonder why is that? )
Old 02-04-20, 09:52 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel this thread is overloaded and it should be separated to new ones and make them vendor specific.
Old 02-04-20, 05:28 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by artpvlv
funny thing is that i cant seem to find a single video of a carplay working on rx with vline2.
i asked it on official gromaudio youtube Chanel.
keep asking it here....nothing
i wonder why is that? )
Stay tuned - working on the vid. Subscribe to our YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/gromaudio
Will post here once it is ready - in 1-2 days.

We usually make the videos once we get the car here.
Old 02-05-20, 08:15 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Can we create a separate thread for vline2? Lol 😂

there is a separate thread for beatsonic.
The following users liked this post:
NFaridi (02-06-20)
Old 02-05-20, 08:16 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Video showing how to open the passenger side panel with one hand

i used one hand in the video because i held my iPhone with my left hand.

Normally i use my left hand to lift the panel and use right hand to grab the carplay hidden there.

It’s pretty easy.

[edit]
Sorry, i can’t upload video from my iPhone. I uploaded photos instead.

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I have a 2018 RX350 F-Sport. Any chance you have a video detailing the removal of the passenger side panel? The only other video I've seen showed the complete removal of the glovebox. I've stuck my head near the glovebox multiple times to undo 10mm bolt holding the center console. The side panel is held very strongly and I don't want to pull too hard, in case it might snap something.

Last edited by joejoejoe; 02-05-20 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-06-20, 10:30 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Can we create a separate thread for vline2? Lol 😂
Good idea, here it is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...16-and-up.html

Your questions are welcome.
Old 02-07-20, 04:36 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. The picture doesn't give you the sense of how strongly it held in place. Most people would worry that they might snap a fastener(s) if there are some locking it in place. I can only tell from my experience with a 2018 that that covering isn't easy to move. Once I get my unit back from COSMO, I'm going to see if I can keep the unit in that area (he said no refund). The other issue I had since I did try to put the unit there, was snaking the cabling down there. It was a bit frustrating so I had given up. This time I guess I'll need to bite the bullet.

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
i used one hand in the video because i held my iPhone with my left hand.

Normally i use my left hand to lift the panel and use right hand to grab the carplay hidden there.

It’s pretty easy.

[edit]
Sorry, i can’t upload video from my iPhone. I uploaded photos instead.

Old 02-07-20, 06:43 AM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, snaking the cables down through the small opening was the hardest part for me as well. But i bundled all cables with rubber bands. Then it became somewhat moldable so that i could bend it the way i needed.

the side panel plastic is not fragile hard plastic. If you pull it by the low bottom corner, you should be able to see the small room behind easily.

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Thanks. The picture doesn't give you the sense of how strongly it held in place. Most people would worry that they might snap a fastener(s) if there are some locking it in place. I can only tell from my experience with a 2018 that that covering isn't easy to move. Once I get my unit back from COSMO, I'm going to see if I can keep the unit in that area (he said no refund). The other issue I had since I did try to put the unit there, was snaking the cabling down there. It was a bit frustrating so I had given up. This time I guess I'll need to bite the bullet.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350