RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 11:03 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Has anyone thought of removing the display screen/unit from a 2020 and putting it into the the pre 4th gens, 2016-19? From pictures it looks about the same just without the corner slanted piece on the pre 2020's. A trim piece can probably easily be made with a 3d printer from the looks of it? Knowing toyota/lexus they usually dont re-engineer different parts so im guessing all the connectors would be the same. The touch screen would be a bit useless as it'll still be far away from the driver but oem apple car play would be nice.
Old 08-23-20, 07:41 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

You would probably have to swap out so many parts that unless big you found one at a salvage yard it wouldn’t be worth it. You would probably have to swap out the mouse, the head end unit, and who knows how many more parts. The screen is just the screen you’d need to swap out the brains of the unit, and who knows how many things run off of it.
Old 08-23-20, 01:47 PM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible Lsailt unit location

Today I decided to take a peek at the bottom of the central console on my RX350 2016, someone mentioned that there was space there to put the unit.(joejoejoe)

On the passenger side I found out that there is one push on retainer for the side wall underneath the console, it popped off by pulling the side wall.

I also found out that there is plenty of empty space down there, I don't know the size of the unit but it looks like it may easily accommodate it.
(I pulled the side panel, inserted my iPhone and took a picture).

It would be nice if I could put the Lsailt unit down there but pulling the side wall has it's limit and getting the wires down there and plugging them in may be a real challenge.

Question: Anyone knows how to remove the passenger console side panel on a Lexus RX350 2016??????

Passenger side panel

Retainer

Huge empty space in there

I wish I would know how to completely remove the passenger side panel, it would be the ideal place to put the unit.

----------------------------------------------------
Went back to my car, removed the passenger console trim to expose the top of the side panel and found a bolt holding the side panel.
I think that I will be able to access the empty space by pulling the side panel after removing that bolt.
It looks very promising.

This location will provide very easy access to the box .

Side panel bolt

Last edited by Lepapeherm; 08-24-20 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Adding stuff...
The following users liked this post:
notara (05-29-21)
Old 08-23-20, 02:32 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 104 Posts

From the install videos I watched, there is plenty of room behind the radio for module placement. The supplied T-Harness cables don't look too long and there is a connection to the 12.3" display.

Here are the links to some install videos for reference.

Old 08-23-20, 06:49 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lepapeherm
Today I decided to take a peek at the bottom of the central console on my RX350 2016, someone mentioned that there was space there to put the unit.

On the passenger side I found out that there is one push on retainer for the side wall underneath the console, it popped off by pulling the side wall.

I also found out that there is plenty of empty space down there, I don't know the size of the unit but it looks like it may easily accommodate it.

It would be nice if I could put the Lsailt unit down there but pulling the side wall has it's limit and getting the wires down there and plugging them in may be a real challenge.

Question: Anyone knows how to remove the passenger console side panel on a Lexus RX350 2016??????

Passenger side panel

Retainer

I wish I would know how to completely remove the passenger side panel, it would be the ideal place to put the unit.

Went back to my car, removed the passenger console trim to expose the top of the side panel and found a bolt holding the side panel.
I think that I will be able to access the empty space by pulling the side panel after removing that bolt.
It looks very promising.

Side panel bolt
You dont want anything electrical there just in case your drainline gets clogged. The ac evaporator is right there and the ac system isnt sealed. If your drainline does get clogged then that is the first place the backed up water will overflow over to, in that compartment.
Old 08-24-20, 10:07 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by dannnn
You dont want anything electrical there just in case your drainline gets clogged. The ac evaporator is right there and the ac system isnt sealed. If your drainline does get clogged then that is the first place the backed up water will overflow over to, in that compartment.
Hello dannnn,
I hear you but for me the benefits really outweigh the "possible water intrusion!!!" (easy access to the box....one trim, one fastener and one bolt all easy to remove)
Plus there is plenty of space in there and the unit can be located away from any "possible water dripping".

According to some pictures I saw, cable
length doesn't seem to be a problem.
I will check all that when my unit arrive in a few days.
It was shipped from China this morning.

Old 08-24-20, 10:29 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same issues. I gave up on that and just put the unit in my glove compartment. Much neater and even easier to access.

Today I decided to take a peek at the bottom of the central console on my RX350 2016, someone mentioned that there was space there to put the unit.(joejoejoe)

Passenger side panel

Retainer

It looks very promising.

Side panel bolt
Old 08-24-20, 10:38 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I had the same issues. I gave up on that and just put the unit in my glove compartment. Much neater and even easier to access.
Fine if it works for you, not sure I want to use the glove compartment as it is already full of "stuff".
But I really want to have easy access to the box after installation so it could still be considered.
Old 08-24-20, 10:41 AM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my unit ordered this morning. Looking forward to the install.
Old 08-24-20, 10:42 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can somehow get access to that bottom area which is a pain to get access to, you can try to prop up the unit with a wired cage. That should elevate it in case of water flooding. Or even better build some kind of casing that houses the unit

Fine if it works for you, not sure I want to use the glove compartment as it is already full of "stuff".
But I really want to have easy access to the box after installation so it could still be considered.
Old 08-24-20, 11:41 AM
GuanLouYi
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, just joined this great forum 2 months ago which is also when I purchased my 2016 350Rx F-Sport Mark Levinson and paid a shop quite abit to install the Lsailt system, which worked great initially.

2 nites ago, I started having the same issue as the person below. Also the speedometer area, which isually displays which mode you're on like Aux / Bluetooth, has also gone blank. Together with the Navigation portion of it on the next menu. But only these 2 menus stopped working at the speedometer area, thankfully.

My Lsailt unit is a June 2020 unit and running one of the latest firmware, according to Cosmo.

I did check with Cosmo and even spoke to him and his engineer via video call. The engineer suspected either "loose cabling" or a faulty Lsailt box itself. Likelihood of loose wiring I believe is quite low, since the car wasn't driven much and was driven gently and carefully when it was driven. Initial suggestion by the engineer and Cosmo was for me to send the Lsailt unit back to China for a replacement. Said they'd discuss / troubleshoot more today before getting back to me.

Before anything drastic, just checking if anybody else experienced similar, and did you arrive at a solution?

Thanks to all in advance for any valuable information given.

Originally Posted by SADAF
Hello everyone,

I recently have an issue with the box. The center menu/back/map buttons and the remote touch (mouse) stopped working. Also, the box is not loading up when I press and keep the hang out button. Last night I disconnected the car's battery and connected back again after 20 seconds. Everything worked fine but this morning it happened again. Any idea where the problem is coming from? Let me know if you need me to provide more information. My car has Mark Levenson with 12.3 screen and nav.
Old 08-24-20, 01:29 PM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Talking

If you can somehow get access to that bottom area which is a pain to get access to, you can try to prop up the unit with a wired cage. That should elevate it in case of water flooding. Or even better build some kind of casing that houses the unit
There is no need to elevate the unit because it will be sitting on top of a double plastic conduit that brings airflow to the back of the car and as I said..... very easy to get access.
Old 08-26-20, 09:36 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same issue.

basically Lsailt unit becomes unresponsive and if you set the audio to AUX, you will hear digital beeps and your rx mouse and some interface is not displayed. You pull the plug of the unit for 10sec and everything is back to normal. Been there.

the fix was to upgrade the MCU by passcode"2020"

then update the app by passcode “1630”

it kinds of fixes the issue, you no longer need to pull the cable or battery to reset, but sometimes it takes a while to reconnect like more than 3minutes. In worst case, you can do “mode” +”up” press to reset the Lsailt unit.

but all in all, Lsailt is a good unit for RX.

hope this helps.

Originally Posted by GuanLouYi
Hi all, just joined this great forum 2 months ago which is also when I purchased my 2016 350Rx F-Sport Mark Levinson and paid a shop quite abit to install the Lsailt system, which worked great initially.

2 nites ago, I started having the same issue as the person below. Also the speedometer area, which isually displays which mode you're on like Aux / Bluetooth, has also gone blank. Together with the Navigation portion of it on the next menu. But only these 2 menus stopped working at the speedometer area, thankfully.

My Lsailt unit is a June 2020 unit and running one of the latest firmware, according to Cosmo.

I did check with Cosmo and even spoke to him and his engineer via video call. The engineer suspected either "loose cabling" or a faulty Lsailt box itself. Likelihood of loose wiring I believe is quite low, since the car wasn't driven much and was driven gently and carefully when it was driven. Initial suggestion by the engineer and Cosmo was for me to send the Lsailt unit back to China for a replacement. Said they'd discuss / troubleshoot more today before getting back to me.

Before anything drastic, just checking if anybody else experienced similar, and did you arrive at a solution?

Thanks to all in advance for any valuable information given.
Old 08-26-20, 09:46 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i put it in the passenger side well.

it’s quite easy. You don’t even need to remove the side panel. you just lift it a bit to make space for your hands.

The hardest part is to snake all the cables bundle down there behind the factory CD player, but if you bundle them tight with a rubber band and snake it well, it’s hardly a 10minutes job. You just snake them down and catch with the other hand and pull it out of the side panel. Connect to Lsait and put the unit into the well and close the panel. Done.

now I don’t know if it’s a safe place from the AC clogged water... maybe I will partially wrap it to prevent any water damage.

Old 08-27-20, 04:38 PM
GuanLouYi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
i had the same issue.

basically Lsailt unit becomes unresponsive and if you set the audio to AUX, you will hear digital beeps and your rx mouse and some interface is not displayed. You pull the plug of the unit for 10sec and everything is back to normal. Been there.

the fix was to upgrade the MCU by passcode"2020"

then update the app by passcode “1630”

it kinds of fixes the issue, you no longer need to pull the cable or battery to reset, but sometimes it takes a while to reconnect like more than 3minutes. In worst case, you can do “mode” +”up” press to reset the Lsailt unit.

but all in all, Lsailt is a good unit for RX.

hope this helps.
Hey joejoejoe, many thanks for your reply.

At least it's not that disheartening to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this nightmare issue;
Just sucks that after already paying the install shop significant money to install the Lsailt unit just over a month ago,
I gotta pay more to the install shop to rip out the unit from my passenger footwell ( where it's installed ) and re-install again.

I have gone thru the EXACT same process you described with Cosmo and his engineer, upgrading the MCU by passcode "2020" and updating the app by passcode "1630."
Nothing worked, I still have no physical Lexus mouse control, and the nearby physical "Map," "Menu," "up", "down" & "back" arrow buttons,
besides the on-screen mouse cursor gone completely missing in both Lexus AND Lsailt menu screens.

This is in addition to me still unable to select, enter, nor see, both the "media selection" and "navigation" menus, on my speedometer menu itself;
when I use the right hand side steering wheel controls. The rest of the speedometer menus like triptometer, cruise-control, etc still work for at least for now, thankfully.

The great news is, Cosmo has shipped out a new replacement Lsailt main box and what I believe to be the T-harness ( which supplies power to the Lsailt main box ),
with the condition that I'd need to ship my current Lsailt main box back to China at my own cost.

Kudos to Cosmo specifically, who's honorably offered me his sales commission on the Lsailt sale as his PERSONAL, partial compensation;
For the shipping cost back to China, after his manager's insistence that shipping cost back to China is NOT covered by the company.

So now I play the waiting game for the replacement Lsailt box and harness to arrive, and hope and pray that they last longer than one month after install.

Thanks again for your valuable input, joejoejoe.
Hope my post helps the other members here too.

Last edited by GuanLouYi; 08-27-20 at 04:46 PM. Reason: add more detailed info and formatting

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350