RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 04:54 PM
GuanLouYi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a basic question to all: when you all self-installed the Lsailt in your vehicles,
did you all dis-connect the negative terminal of the car battery first?
Or, just worked on the vehicle, disconnected Lexus radio harnesses, etc, with the car battery still fully connected?

Just considering if I should try my hand at accessing my passenger footwell area to swap out the new replacement Lsailt unit when it arrives...
Old 08-27-20, 05:01 PM
llcw79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuanLouYi
Just a basic question to all: when you all self-installed the Lsailt in your vehicles,
Or, just worked on the vehicle, disconnected Lexus radio harnesses, etc, with the car battery still fully connected?

Just considering if I should try my hand at accessing my passenger footwell area to swap out the new replacement Lsailt unit when it arrives...
I didn't disconnect the battery and still alive.
Old 08-28-20, 07:33 AM
ejisfun
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GuanLouYi

I installed/uninstalled CarPlay boxes (both Grom VL2 and carlinkit) a good 6 or 7 times while troubleshooting and never disconnected the battery. Everything's still fine.
Old 08-30-20, 05:40 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lsailt in 19 RX 16-month review.

It has been a while since I visited the page a recently I was asked about my Lsailt android box w/ wireless carplay so I though I would drop a few words for a 16-month review.

Date installed: May 2019
Car: 2019 Lexus RX450H

Installation: It was easy easy for me even as a first timer, I watched all the videos listed here and made and practiced accessing the head and screen connection before placing order with cosmo. This way I knew exactly what to do when I received the Box and it took about me 1 hour to complete during lunch break in parking lot at work. It took only 15 minuteS to get thing plugged it and working then I spent 45 minutes carefully tidying up cables and put things nicely back together. Since then it has been working great and I am loving it.

Delivery : 3-day DHL delivery from China to USA totally impressed me.

Audio/video quality: the factory 12”3 display Is realized to It’s max potential after installing this unit. I do have to adjust the factory display brightness/contrast to get things look great and I run google Map in dark mode all the time Brightness is perfect and every looks so crispy and yet it doesn’t blunder me at night. Audio quality is carplay is much better than factory Bluetooth compression I felt I had a audio system upgraded. I think factory bt audio compression drops too much in quality than carplay.

Carplay stability : I got it when my iPhone 6 was running ios12 and early firmware on the auto play box. Wireless carplay auto connect was about 50/50. Over the year I received over the air updates on the box every other month or so. It has been rock solid in stability with wireless carplay since July 2019 updates. I have a iPhone 11 with latest iOS and everything is still working great. In comparison to my wife’s 2020 Audi factory MMI carplay is more glitchy. I am happy report the Lsailt box is more stable and reliable than her new Audi’s factory MMI carplay both in Wired and wireless mode.

Ease of use: Just like the Lexus mouse stick that most ppl hated, there is a bit of learning curve to use the mouse stick. I really enjoying using it now because free flow mouse in Lsailt carplay makes it 10 times easier to use. In fact that works even better than carplay in the new Lexus because the new factory carplay still confines the selection between apps and icon. Carplay is made to touch screen but the free range mouse is the best alternative.

Issue/bug: There is still speaker popping noise when starting my car if volume was last set at high but i got used it and it no longer bothers me. Occasionally there is a long start up time of a few minutes but mostly of the time the box boot up instantly. I consulted cosmo and he said this is normal as the android box has a schedule of doing cold starts.on long road trip I do have plug it in bcoz wireless carplay drain battery. Charging it with a 2 amp usb and wire carplay causes my phone to overheat. For longer trip use wired carplay and it is stable. But the charging rate from box is very weak it definitely won’t charge the phone but rather just keep it at the same battery level so it won’t die from using carplay.

Warranty concerns: I do have some concerns down the path. However, for my last 3 service visit I had no issues no one said anything yet. The car defaults Lexus factory system I assume they just don’t know have a aftermarket unit installed. I even had warranty claimed a headlight replacement (broken bracket) with no issue. My thought is that I can alway remove it easily if they gives beef in a future warranty claim.

Final thoughts: This is best mod I did for $400. I went from having buyer remorse in the 19 model for not having carplay to a happy owner of the 19 rX owner with a great discount for buying last model year before refresh.

Last edited by joeguan3rx; 08-30-20 at 05:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lepapeherm (08-30-20)
Old 09-02-20, 07:00 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lepapeherm
Can I suggest Lsailt part number LLT-LKSS-VER7.4.5H I think it is the best unit for your 2017 Lexus Rx350, it include 3+ 32 Gb storage, 6 core 1.2Ghz chip and wireless CarPlay.
I just ordered 1 unit directly from Lsailt, $450 USD delivered.
My unit came in yesterday, no instructions except a generic diagram showing the unit and the cables....
I already have a few questions.... where do I plug the dongle I received with the unit? (Wireless dongle I presume)
in - USB0, USB1, USB2 or does it matter?
What is the switch setting for my 2016 Lexus? (the diagram isn't clear for me but I think switches 1 and 3 should be L/ON and switches 2 and 4 should be H/OFF) Am I correct?
Which cable do I need to install and which one do I need to disregard?
Do I need to install the GPS and the speaker that came with the unit?
The LVDS cable seems to be going to the 12.3 in screen, is there 2 empty connection at the back of the screen to receive those connectors?
What is the short cable with the 2 white connectors? is it some kind of signal switcher for the screen?

more questions to come......​​​​​​

Last edited by Lepapeherm; 09-02-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 09:45 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Default TRICK - 10 mm bolt

For those who are afraid to lose the 10 mm bolt here is an easy trick:

- Put a piece of masking tape on top of your socket (glue side on socket)
This tape will hold on to the bolt ( I didn't have a bolt handy so I used a nut for demonstration purpose)

Make sure you secure your socket to your extender using tape, wiggling your extender will help you remove your socket from the bolt when done. .

The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (09-03-20)
Old 09-05-20, 06:53 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Angry No not in there !

Originally Posted by dannnn
You dont want anything electrical there just in case your drainline gets clogged. The ac evaporator is right there and the ac system isnt sealed. If your drainline does get clogged then that is the first place the backed up water will overflow over to, in that compartment.
Today I decided to take a peek at the bottom of the central console on my RX350 2016, someone mentioned that there was space there to put the unit.(joejoejoe)

On the passenger side I found out that there is one push on retainer for the side wall underneath the console, it popped off by pulling the side wall.

I also found out that there is plenty of empty space down there, I don't know the size of the unit but it looks like it may easily accommodate it.
(I pulled the side panel, inserted my iPhone and took a picture).

It would be nice if I could put the Lsailt unit down there but pulling the side wall has it's limit and getting the wires down there and plugging them in may be a real challenge.

Question: Anyone knows how to remove the passenger console side panel on a Lexus RX350 2016??????

Passenger side panel

Retainer

Huge empty space in there

I wish I would know how to completely remove the passenger side panel, it would be the ideal place to put the unit.

----------------------------------------------------
Went back to my car, removed the passenger console trim to expose the top of the side panel and found a bolt holding the side panel.
I think that I will be able to access the empty space by pulling the side panel after removing that bolt.
It looks very promising.

This location will provide very easy access to the box .

Side panel bolt
It is confirmed, I can't install it in there.
I had great hope but it didn't work, the side bolt doesn't free up the panel.
I don't see how I can install and plug the Lsailt unit in there without moving the side panel out.
Bummer!!

Last edited by Lepapeherm; 09-05-20 at 07:12 AM. Reason: removing pictures
Old 09-05-20, 07:05 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Thumbs up Lsailt installed

My unit came in yesterday, no instructions except a generic diagram showing the unit and the cables....
I already have a few questions.... where do I plug the dongle I received with the unit? (Wireless dongle I presume)
in - USB0, USB1, USB2 or does it matter?
What is the switch setting for my 2016 Lexus? (the diagram isn't clear for me but I think switches 1 and 3 should be L/ON and switches 2 and 4 should be H/OFF) Am I correct?
Which cable do I need to install and which one do I need to disregard?
Do I need to install the GPS and the speaker that came with the unit?
The LVDS cable seems to be going to the 12.3 in screen, is there 2 empty connection at the back of the screen to receive those connectors?
What is the short cable with the 2 white connectors? is it some kind of signal switcher for the screen?

more questions to come......​​​​​​
I just installed the Lsailt box at the back of the multimedia unit.

Had a real tough time re-installing the multimedia unit, it wouldn't go back (far enough) in place.

Moving the box to the bottom far right resolved the issue. (fit perfectly in there)

Had to get in contact with Cosmo for some help regarding sound and screen split issue, quick answers and problems solved.

Last edited by Lepapeherm; 09-05-20 at 07:10 AM. Reason: removing picture
Old 09-06-20, 02:32 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Hello dannnn,
I hear you but for me the benefits really outweigh the "possible water intrusion!!!" (easy access to the box....one trim, one fastener and one bolt all easy to remove)
Plus there is plenty of space in there and the unit can be located away from any "possible water dripping".

According to some pictures I saw, cable
length doesn't seem to be a problem.
I will check all that when my unit arrive in a few days.
It was shipped from China this morning.

Hi, Which site did you use to buy the unit? I tried emailing Cosmo to the email address on their website, but it bounced.
Old 09-06-20, 03:10 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Hi, Which site did you use to buy the unit? I tried emailing Cosmo to the email address on their website, but it bounced.
Hello toytaman7
I ordered my unit directly from Cosmo using the WhatsApp application. = USER NAME: Cosmo Xiong, PHONE NUMBER: +86 136 9976 5242

He has been very responsive both in term of discussion and support.
Old 09-06-20, 06:36 AM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is confirmed, I can't install it in there.
I had great hope but it didn't work, the side bolt doesn't free up the panel.
I don't see how I can install and plug the Lsailt unit in there without moving the side panel out.
Bummer!!
you don’t need to remove the side panel in order to install the unit there.

I dropped all the cables into the space behind the side panel, put my hand into the space (bend open the side panel a bit, it’s flexible enough), grab the cables and pull them out of the space into the passenger side feet space, connect the cables to Lsailt unit, then test all features. If everything works as intended then insert the unit into the space behind the side panel. And done.
Old 09-06-20, 06:48 AM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone tried installing the unit in the arm rest? It has space at the bottom below the pull out bin. If this is possible this would be a great location.
Old 09-06-20, 07:17 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
you don’t need to remove the side panel in order to install the unit there.

I dropped all the cables into the space behind the side panel, put my hand into the space (bend open the side panel a bit, it’s flexible enough), grab the cables and pull them out of the space into the passenger side feet space, connect the cables to Lsailt unit, then test all features. If everything works as intended then insert the unit into the space behind the side panel. And done.
Sounds like a very good way to do it..... but too late for me. ;-)
Old 09-06-20, 07:43 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by landij
Has anyone tried installing the unit in the arm rest? It has space at the bottom below the pull out bin. If this is possible this would be a great location.
I installed mine the same place as joejoejoe, in the empty space under the radio at the front on the center stack area by bending open the lower passenger side trim. I didn't actually try it but I don't believe that the Lsailt t-harness going to the 12.3 inch display is long enough to make it all the way under the center console to the center arm rest area.
Old 09-06-20, 03:25 PM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Default USB cables location

I just installed the Lsailt box at the back of the multimedia unit.

Had a real tough time re-installing the multimedia unit, it wouldn't go back (far enough) in place.

Moving the box to the bottom far right resolved the issue. (fit perfectly in there)

Had to get in contact with Cosmo for some help regarding sound and screen split issue, quick answers and problems solved.
My LSAILT unit is wireless but I still wanted the USB cables to be available if need be, so I routed them under the steering wheel, there is a kind of a protective tray where they fit perfectly on top of that tray.
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350