RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 05:53 PM
hank87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Press and hold the Telephone Hang-up button on the steering wheel for 4 seconds. That is supposed to bring you back to normal car mode from Lsailt Mode. That won't fix your problem but it might get the car screen back to normal.

Can you see the Lsailt control box? There should be some red LEDs inside blinking in the upper right corner. Try pressing the Mode and UP arrow buttons on the steering wheel at the same time for 5 seconds. This will cause the Lsailt system to reboot. The 12.3" screen should flash the Lexus logo.

Think I would verify and reseat all the Lsailt harness connections made during the install at all three locations ( Lsailt controller, radio and display ). I have heard of some issues being resolved this way.
I tried this with the telephone hang up mode, and it opened the Android Auto, but the Android Auto only takes up the right 2/3 of the screen. The left 2/3 is static. I think the main problem appears to be the Lexus navigation OEM. I cannot get that to open. Any other ideas? Any way to get the Android Auto on full screen? I checked the connections already, but if I have to I will check again.

Old 11-01-20, 06:03 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 104 Posts

There is a setting you must make for the RX and the 12.3" screen. Here are the instructions :
To make it to full screen display, please select the factory setting. The Password is 1630. Select option called Screen Type, Choose Lexus 1280,
Old 11-02-20, 08:08 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI, I have the newer LSAIT unit with wireless built-in which uses ZLink software. My wireless connection no longer works. ZLink hasn't worked since iOS 14 came out. It's been documented on places like Reddit and has affected other Android units. COSMO doesn't have workaround and says to wait until ZLink has a fix. I'm stuck with having to use wired connection with USB0. At least my unit is in my glove compartment so I didn't have to deal with unassembling things.
Old 11-15-20, 06:09 PM
siegelion
Driver School Candidate

Question Any suggestions on the best Apple Carplay for 2017?

I want to get apple carplay installed to my 2017 Lexus. It doesn't have official support. So I'd have to buy from aftermarket and have someone to install it for me.

Anyone has done that? I know it could be done judging by the videos i have seen..

Any suggestions on which box I should purchase? I want as closely as a native apple carplay experience as possible.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-20, 10:26 PM
siegelion
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone used this? Thinking of getting it but wondering if it works.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001308371759.html
Old 11-17-20, 09:11 AM
Mishari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PotOdds
FYI, I have the newer LSAIT unit with wireless built-in which uses ZLink software. My wireless connection no longer works. ZLink hasn't worked since iOS 14 came out. It's been documented on places like Reddit and has affected other Android units. COSMO doesn't have workaround and says to wait until ZLink has a fix. I'm stuck with having to use wired connection with USB0. At least my unit is in my glove compartment so I didn't have to deal with unassembling things.
I have also the new LSAIT unit and I had the same issue. To solve this issue delete LSAIT unit from your iPhone bluetooth then restart the box then sync your iPhone agian
Old 11-25-20, 06:09 AM
achokshi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by siegelion
I want to get apple carplay installed to my 2017 Lexus. It doesn't have official support. So I'd have to buy from aftermarket and have someone to install it for me.

Anyone has done that? I know it could be done judging by the videos i have seen..

Any suggestions on which box I should purchase? I want as closely as a native apple carplay experience as possible.

Thanks!
I just installed the GROM Audio VL2 in my 2017 Lexus RX350 and it was extremely easy and straightforward to install. They have an installation video that is super easy to follow and informative. It also has wireless Carplay so that I can hide all of the cables and Carplay automatically connects to my phone as soon as I start my car!
Old 11-25-20, 11:58 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by achokshi
I just installed the GROM Audio VL2 in my 2017 Lexus RX350 and it was extremely easy and straightforward to install. They have an installation video that is super easy to follow and informative. It also has wireless Carplay so that I can hide all of the cables and Carplay automatically connects to my phone as soon as I start my car!
how are the iPhone phone calls, any echo or problems, especially with wireless CarPlay active?
The following users liked this post:
Aeon (12-18-20)
Old 11-25-20, 01:11 PM
achokshi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larrytrk
how are the iPhone phone calls, any echo or problems, especially with wireless CarPlay active?
So far, I have not had any issues with the microphone and iPhone phone calls on wireless CarPlay. I tried various calls and the person at the other end could hear me perfectly fine with no issues.
Old 11-25-20, 01:27 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm not sure if anyone posted this, but here is the step-by-step on how to install this:

INSTALLATION VIDEO

Old 12-12-20, 04:13 PM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Android auto

Can someone please post a video or photo of Android Auto working using the full 12.3" screen using one of these units? I want to be sure it uses the full screen real estate before I go ahead and order one (ie not a low resolution stretched image).
Old 12-13-20, 03:02 AM
fusion243
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalr3
Can someone please post a video or photo of Android Auto working using the full 12.3" screen using one of these units? I want to be sure it uses the full screen real estate before I go ahead and order one (ie not a low resolution stretched image).
For Android Auto it is not a proper full screen experience.- you can either have 1) normal 2) stretched

The photo quality of both is pretty poor so does make the stretched look worse than it is but "normal" is definitely the way to go. Yes, it looks terrible in comparison to when my wife connects her iPhone but still massively better than a dash mounted phone.

mcalr3 (12-13-20)
Old 12-13-20, 03:47 PM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fusion243
For Android Auto it is not a proper full screen experience.- you can either have 1) normal 2) stretched

The photo quality of both is pretty poor so does make the stretched look worse than it is but "normal" is definitely the way to go. Yes, it looks terrible in comparison to when my wife connects her iPhone but still massively better than a dash mounted phone.
Wow, thanks for the info there.
That sucks, and this is a really lazy implementation by the Chinese devs. Google enabled widescreen support in AA about 2 years ago. However I wouldn't be surprised if it was down to the fact that Google is pretty much fully blocked in China so access to their latest SDKs might be lacking or something.

However, it is good to know that I can pretty much go for any android box that connects to the lexus and don't have to plump the extra for this one. There are some for as little as $200 on Aliexpress for the rx450h.
I can just use the app called Headunit Reloaded. I was using it on my NX300h aftermarket headunit and it worked a treat mostly, but still not as flawless as an OEM implementation.

This is what it looked like in widescreen. You should try it. You can get the app from playstore.

Old 01-20-21, 10:59 PM
veskoboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Carplay Joystick Issue

I have an issue with Carlinkit aftermarket Carplay box on my RX350 2019
When I use the joystick in the Carplay interface (Google maps, Waze, Digital radio, wtc.) it moves and clicks simulataneously in the background messing up things in the original car infotainment system!
Do you know something about it? How can I solve this?
Old 01-28-21, 04:50 AM
kypsin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veskoboy
I have an issue with Carlinkit aftermarket Carplay box on my RX350 2019
When I use the joystick in the Carplay interface (Google maps, Waze, Digital radio, wtc.) it moves and clicks simulataneously in the background messing up things in the original car infotainment system!
Do you know something about it? How can I solve this?
Happened to me but was able to fix this. I believe there’s a cable that comes in the box that you would need to replace if you have the 12.3”. It will then stop the simultaneous clicking on both interfaces. You can request for the instructions to solve this issue from the seller.
veskoboy (01-29-21)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350