RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 02:41 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBimr
I am looking to install one of the several modules that my 2018 RX350L with Navigation the ability to run Android Auto / Apple Car Play. We are an android family so that is what is more important for me. A Googkle search brings different modules to do the same thing.
LSailt
Crux
Beat-Sonic
and others.
I have read several threads on the forum but I would like some direct feedback from members that have done this. Is one unit better than the other? Any unit not listed that you would recomend of these? Any Issues? Would you do it again?

Thanks
BB
You forgot about us, GROM VLine VL2 system:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex89.html

Features build-in stand alone Android that can be synched with your Google account, and you have have Google and Waze maps, etc, without even using your Android phone. It has Android Auto as well.

We are US company, so you will get domestic technical support.

Last edited by gromaudio; 02-03-21 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
artem123 (02-13-21)
Old 02-08-21, 11:12 AM
markie476
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know what the latest MCU version and date is for LSailt?
Old 02-13-21, 08:15 AM
e3e3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could add CarPlay without voiding factory warranty. This is the only deal breaker.

Old 02-13-21, 11:02 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by e3e3
Wish I could add CarPlay without voiding factory warranty. This is the only deal breaker.
It's hard to believe that in Canada the Dealer can void your vehicles entire warranty because of an aftermarket radio upgrade.

We, in the States, are lucky. We have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Here is a link to a decent explanation of this law :
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Explained | AutoAnything Resource Center

Old 02-13-21, 11:32 AM
e3e3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
It's hard to believe that in Canada the Dealer can void your vehicles entire warranty because of an aftermarket radio upgrade.

We, in the States, are lucky. We have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Here is a link to a decent explanation of this law :
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Explained | AutoAnything Resource Center
I admit I'm not 100% certain of the exact rules regarding the Lexus factory warranty. I was just told that adding CarPlay will void the warranty.

I just really want car play and to install a front & rear Blackvue dash cam! is that too much to ask!?
Old 03-11-21, 01:26 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Any new information on the newest CarPlay units, now available.
‘Anyone who has installed the Lsailt or Grom newest units, lately.
‘any pros and cons with newest units?
Old 03-12-21, 04:28 PM
Felmonk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hank87
Hello,

Has anybody had a battery die (permanently or otherwise) due to the LSAILT? My car died and became undrivable even after jumping (power steering was not working). Dealership said the LSAILT drained the battery. The weather has been cold and the car was not driven for about 2 days. Any advice? I contacted COSMO.

Thanks
Sorry for the late post, but my battery had died as well last spring. I installed the Android GPS navigation box for Lexus RX 2016-2019 12.3 video interface with mouse remote touch control RX350 RX450h by lsailt on May 2019 in my 2016 RX 350 and loved it as soon as I turned it on! Things weren't that perfect as I had constant minor issues but I accepted this as the cost of using a 3rd party app. And besides, Cosmo was pretty diligent at constantly uploading patches, so whatever issues I had normally didn't last very long.

Then about a half year or so later, I started having problems with the unit itself not turning on (at this point my battery showed no issues) and I had to constantly remove the fuses to my radio system to get the nav box box working again (you can tell it wasn't working off the bat since the dongle had no juice). The battery had finally given up the ghost 12 months after I installed it. As others have indicated, I just assumed the battery was just due for a replacement. And also assumed that having the additional hardware running in my car wore my battery out quicker. The scary part was all the erroneous errors being thrown out by my car and the brake pedal turning as stiff as a rock (can't recall the accompanying error for that but it goes away if you manage to get the car started). Luckily I was able to get the battery jumpstarted after multiple tries and took it to the shop which essentially told me the battery was done for and I needed a new one. I had it replaced and also asked them to check the unit if there were any exposed wires or some such. They didn't see any issues with my installation, but they may have re-seated it and re-attached the cables (who knows).

Since I got the new battery a year ago, both the car and the nav box have been working with no issues. And I honestly don't think I can go back to using the OEM after using this product (would hate having to go through the process of reinstalling a new unit though!)

Only issue I have now is that I can't seem to get firmware updates to successfully update. If anyone can shed light on that (rather than me read through 83 pages of messages) I would be entirely grateful!

Old 03-18-21, 07:32 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Grom or INAV

Not sure which one to get

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...P9L2_FjpLPU87I

or

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2016-lexu...hsHCgcJh_ukZnk

anybody know the pros or cons of each?
Old 03-20-21, 09:01 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

If you place the unit in the glove box, what do you do with it when you have to remove the glove box to replace the cabin air filter.
do you secure it with Velcro somewhere or what.
Old 03-31-21, 03:22 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
If you place the unit in the glove box, what do you do with it when you have to remove the glove box to replace the cabin air filter.
do you secure it with Velcro somewhere or what.
Just replaced the cabin filter, and I taped the unit to the side tentatively using electrical tape and then afterwards took off the tape and put back the unit into the glove box
Old 03-31-21, 04:56 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jjj666
Just replaced the cabin filter, and I taped the unit to the side tentatively using electrical tape and then afterwards took off the tape and put back the unit into the glove box
how do you keep the dealership from noticing it?
Old 03-31-21, 05:03 PM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how do you keep the dealership from noticing it?
I don’t! Does it need to?
Old 05-01-21, 09:10 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any new information on the newest CarPlay units, now available.
‘Anyone who has installed the Lsailt or Grom newest units, lately.
‘any pros and cons with newest units?
Installing my Grom unit tomorrow after being on backorder for 2 weeks, will post up an update on success or failure tomorrow night.
The following users liked this post:
notara (06-01-21)
Old 05-02-21, 08:12 PM
RogueRX
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zexen
Installing my Grom unit tomorrow after being on backorder for 2 weeks, will post up an update on success or failure tomorrow night.
Any update on installation? Thanks.
Old 05-04-21, 04:16 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueRX
Any update on installation? Thanks.
I'm also really interested to hear from people that installed and used the Grom system for a while.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350