RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21 | 06:14 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by silvergrey
I am experiencing the same issue with the Lsailt box recently too. I have the box with the built-in wireless function (no dongle). When I start up my car, I would lose the cursor, my parking assist function, and the hard button function on the main Lexus interface. I am able to switch back and forth between Carplay and the main Lexus menu, but only the Carplay interface is usable and has the cursor function available. The only way to get all the button function and cursor back in the main Lexus interface is to re-boot the Lsailt box (hold the up arrow + mode). Not really convenient and very annoying to do this every time.

I have contact Cosmo through WhatsApp several times about this problem and he has provided a couple of solution but it did not resolve the problem. Now, Cosmo has stop replying and would not even bother looking at my message (maybe blocked me). I am now stuck with a box that is not functioning properly and is causing problems / conflicts with the main Lexus input and safety (parking assist) functions.

I was hoping maybe someone here has experienced this and was able to resolve this problem, since I cannot get any response from Cosmo anymore. In the end, I may have to remove the box since it causing more problems then the providing benefits of having Carplay.

Thanks.
Mine is now working better, I just hold mode on steering wheel for 8-10 seconds and the box resets and the curser comes back.
it goes thru mute and then resets when you hold it. Any time I get no Lexus curser, I hold mode and it works.
Other phones in the house that are BT to the car can cause interferences. Also.
my dips are all switched off, Cosmo had suggested I turn dip 3 on, it didn’t seem to make a difference.
good luck.
Old 06-01-21 | 05:14 PM
notara
Driver School Candidate

Default grom rx 350 2017

Originally Posted by zexen
Installing my Grom unit tomorrow after being on backorder for 2 weeks, will post up an update on success or failure tomorrow night.
I installed my yesterday. my unit will in the glove compartment. The unit apple carplay was a little glitches but after a grom upadate no problem. update through wifi. wireless apple carplay yessssssssss.
Old 06-05-21 | 06:24 PM
brainhackr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silvergrey
I may go this route. It is very frustrating when you cannot not get proper help from a vendor (Lsailt). I followed this thread and purchase from them (Lsailt) thinking they were the best option from the reviews.

So currently. What's the best option? Trying to decide what system to get. Lsait or grom? 2017 rx350 11 inch w nav
Old 06-11-21 | 02:38 PM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brainhackr
So currently. What's the best option? Trying to decide what system to get. Lsait or grom? 2017 rx350 11 inch w nav
Grom for now.
The latest update fixed many of its original issues.
I'm just waiting if they would make the next update so the grom unit shutdown completely everytime the car is off because that will reduce initial bootup issues it has.
Old 06-12-21 | 12:55 PM
brainhackr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fantasy521
Grom for now.
The latest update fixed many of its original issues.
I'm just waiting if they would make the next update so the grom unit shutdown completely everytime the car is off because that will reduce initial bootup issues it has.
what's the initial boot up issue? Thanks for reply.
Old 07-08-21 | 10:31 AM
Meeninta
10th Gear

Post Which aftermarket Apple Carplay is best?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2016 Lexus RX450H and I'm coming from Honda so I sorely miss the apple carplay I had. I've been reading on previous posts about what my options are so I can install an aftermarket system. So far my research has narrowed it down to 3 big players in the game: Beatsonic, Grom, and Lsait. My goal is to install a system that is closest to factory OEM Apple carplay. With that in mind, which system is the closest and also will be the most reliable? Also if there are any brands I didn't mention that may be better, please let me know.
Old 07-10-21 | 03:07 PM
max6spd
Driver School Candidate

I installed the carlinkit found on Amazon. I used a kit from the same manufacturer for my last car, Audi A4, and it worked ok. The only issue I had with both the Audi kit and the Lexus kit is the echo/feedback when on the phone. Both times, I bypass CarPlay to conversation and used the OEM Bluetooth. The other issue I have right now is the joystick seems “sticky” but working with the seller to try to fix that. They’ve been responsive (24 hr turnaround as they’re in China).
Old 07-10-21 | 03:55 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by max6spd
I installed the carlinkit found on Amazon. I used a kit from the same manufacturer for my last car, Audi A4, and it worked ok. The only issue I had with both the Audi kit and the Lexus kit is the echo/feedback when on the phone. Both times, I bypass CarPlay to conversation and used the OEM Bluetooth. The other issue I have right now is the joystick seems “sticky” but working with the seller to try to fix that. They’ve been responsive (24 hr turnaround as they’re in China).

you can make the factory bt default audio routing device so and making or receiving calls it default to bt while you staying in carplay and not needing to select bt on the phone every time.
How to Set a BluetoothSpeaker or Headphones as the Default Audio on Your iPhone
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap Accessibility. ​
  • Tap Touch.
  • Tap Call Audio Routing.
  • Your options are Automatic, Bluetooth Headset, and Speaker, earbuds fall under the Bluetooth Headset option.

the sticky joystick is due to force feedback still being enabled and active in factory bitmap. You can dial down the factory force back to make it go away.

Last edited by joeguan3rx; 07-10-21 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-10-21 | 04:04 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Meeninta
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2016 Lexus RX450H and I'm coming from Honda so I sorely miss the apple carplay I had. I've been reading on previous posts about what my options are so I can install an aftermarket system. So far my research has narrowed it down to 3 big players in the game: Beatsonic, Grom, and Lsait. My goal is to install a system that is closest to factory OEM Apple carplay. With that in mind, which system is the closest and also will be the most reliable? Also if there are any brands I didn't mention that may be better, please let me know.
I have the lsailt unit since feb 2019 so far so very happy. It was a few bugs here and there early and they released over the air the updates and address them.
Old 07-11-21 | 03:19 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

My Lsailt unit works well also, for an after market unit. Especially on longer trips.
Old 07-11-21 | 04:44 AM
max6spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
you can make the factory bt default audio routing device so and making or receiving calls it default to bt while you staying in carplay and not needing to select bt on the phone every time.
How to Set a BluetoothSpeaker or Headphones as the Default Audio on Your iPhone
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap Accessibility. ​
  • Tap Touch.
  • Tap Call Audio Routing.
  • Your options are Automatic, Bluetooth Headset, and Speaker, earbuds fall under the Bluetooth Headset option.

the sticky joystick is due to force feedback still being enabled and active in factory bitmap. You can dial down the factory force back to make it go away.
Thanks. So, in order to default to OEM Bluetooth, I should select Bluetooth Headset? Wouldn’t the OEM and CarPlay be considered Bluetooth?

As for the force feedback, where would I dial back?

Thanks again.
Old 07-11-21 | 04:47 AM
jeronberna
Rookie

So from my reading this entire thread, from early on to recent, it seems that Lsailt has lost its reliability after switching to Zlink?

I recently purchased a 2018 RX350 F-Sport, and I’m looking to add CarPlay, I’m no stranger to CarPlay modules, which is why I’m trying to figure which one is the most streamlined/reliable.

Does the GROM unit use the call end button as well to switch between the Lexus UI and the GROM Vline UI?

I’d prefer the product which would have good support, decent reliability (as to whether it will freeze up, or cause other issues) and decent AV quality.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but is GROM the current 4RX CarPlay module to pick? Or Lsailt?

Thanks for all the help guys, this thread has been a total god send in my pursuit!
Old 07-11-21 | 04:59 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Lsailt Zlink works fine , at least for me, if it doesn’t connect you just need to make sure the BT connection is on, then it switches to WIFI.
I was worried about that also.
switching back and forth between Lexus and CarPlay requires holding menu and then holding mode button on steering wheel till Lexus curser
activates, for me.

Last edited by larrytrk; 07-11-21 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-11-21 | 01:10 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by max6spd
Thanks. So, in order to default to OEM Bluetooth, I should select Bluetooth Headset? Wouldn’t the OEM and CarPlay be considered Bluetooth?

As for the force feedback, where would I dial back?

Thanks again.
carplay data and audio connection goes over WiFi, it uses BT only device signals once connected CarPlay needs WiFi only.
so yes select bt headset it goes to oem Lexus bt (it is just another bt headset device the phone)

I attached a picture of the factory screen where you can dial back force feedback.

Last edited by joeguan3rx; 07-11-21 at 01:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
max6spd (07-15-21)
Old 07-11-21 | 01:17 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Lsailt Zlink works fine , at least for me, if it doesn’t connect you just need to make sure the BT connection is on, then it switches to WIFI.
I was worried about that also.
switching back and forth between Lexus and CarPlay requires holding menu and then holding mode button on steering wheel till Lexus curser
activates, for me.
you should plug in the loop back 3.5mm jack (came with Lsailt) in on the Audio input in the console. Once you do that you switch into carplay by doubling clicking the map button.

Last edited by joeguan3rx; 07-11-21 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350