RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 02:35 PM
notara
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no issues with my.
Old 10-06-21, 03:56 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by notara
I have no issues with my.
What do you have that doesn't have issues?
Old 10-19-21, 05:23 PM
hasharock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on The Apple Carplay System

Hello everyone! I was just looking at the Apple Carplay unit and I love it. It seems to keep the stock ability of the RX and give it Carplay. However, I have a few questions!
  • Can you use the Apple Carplay Mode (Lsailt) without the cursor and with just a simple move over like a D-PAD? If you can not, how is the mouse in terms of comfort and quickly navigating?
  • Is the Lsailt model actually wireless? I have seen many different videos and some are wired and some are wireless?
  • Are there any major issues that can hurt the system?
  • Do the steering wheel volume and media controls work?
  • Are there any minor things (charges slow, sometimes disconnects randomly, etc)?
  • And last but not least, can a person easily install this cleanly without any issues?
Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by hasharock; 10-19-21 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-24-21, 09:59 PM
BadBimr
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the consensus on which is the better unit of the bunch?
Grom VL2
LSailt
Crux
Beat-Sonic
or other?
I use Android devices.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-21, 06:06 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBimr
What's the consensus on which is the better unit of the bunch?
Grom VL2
LSailt
Crux
Beat-Sonic
or other?
I use Android devices.
Thanks in advance.
my LSailt works well!
occasional glitches related to IOS updates, usually remedied with reconnecting, BT.
Old 10-25-21, 02:53 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jeronberna
@gromaudio is the only way to switch between vline and Lexus OS to cycle through the media?

is there any steering wheel shortcut or holding down any type of button to switch between the two quickly? Or will I have to keep pressing media to switch between the two and lose audio everytime I want to go to the Lexus UI??

nothing in the user manual.
In order to hear audio from VLine you need to activate AUX either through stereo button or steering wheel. If you need just visual information, press and hold MENU button or HOME button in some cases for 3 seconds, depends on the vehicle.
Old 10-29-21, 05:36 AM
RVAHoo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Apple Carplay by Crux

Has anyone installed this system? It's sold by Crutchfield who's a reputable store that's been in business a long time and should be able to provide support if needed.

ACPLX-12Z | Smart-Play Integration for Select 2013-2019 Lexus Vehicles with OEM NAV & Jog Mouse or Touch Pad – CRUX Interfacing Solutions

Old 10-29-21, 01:01 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RVAHoo
Has anyone installed this system? It's sold by Crutchfield who's a reputable store that's been in business a long time and should be able to provide support if needed.

ACPLX-12Z | Smart-Play Integration for Select 2013-2019 Lexus Vehicles with OEM NAV & Jog Mouse or Touch Pad – CRUX Interfacing Solutions
Read the ratings here: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249CPL...l#&gid=1&pid=1
Old 10-29-21, 03:30 PM
sz8
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, this design seems to be ancient: 1. it has only wired connection. 2. It has two modules to install.

Even the Roadtop model, which costs half, has wireless connection (in addition to wired option) and has only one small box. I only needed to remove the radio for installation and did not need to touch the glove box.
Old 10-29-21, 07:25 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For the money I would get either Grom or Lsailt, more tried and true.
I am very HappY with my Lsailt unit.
Old 10-30-21, 04:14 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sz8
Man, this design seems to be ancient: 1. it has only wired connection. 2. It has two modules to install.

Even the Roadtop model, which costs half, has wireless connection (in addition to wired option) and has only one small box. I only needed to remove the radio for installation and did not need to touch the glove box.
Can you provide a little more info on the “Roadtop model” you mention?
Old 10-30-21, 09:41 AM
RVAHoo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. I checked out the Roadtop site, LEXUS wireless carplay, wired carplay, airplay, LEXUS Android auto, Mirror (roadtop.com) but their installation directions won't load. Does the monitor on the top of the dash have to be removed as required by Vline and Lsailt?
Old 10-30-21, 09:38 PM
sz8
Driver

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Can you provide a little more info on the “Roadtop model” you mention?
I got mine from aliexpress.com. Just search road top carplay for lexus. Should run around $259.
Old 10-30-21, 09:51 PM
sz8
Driver

Thanks for the info. I checked out the Roadtop site, LEXUS wireless carplay, wired carplay, airplay, LEXUS Android auto, Mirror (roadtop.com) but their installation directions won't load. Does the monitor on the top of the dash have to be removed as required by Vline and Lsailt?
You don't really need their installation video. You can search youtube for installations instruction for other carplay models. As long as the car is matching, you are good to go. Just skip the portion for removing glove box.. For monitor removal, yes, you need to remove it.. I did not think of it when I said only need to remove radio since removing the monitor was quite easy. Good luck.

Last edited by sz8; 10-31-21 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RVAHoo (10-31-21)
Old 11-01-21, 09:02 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sz8
You don't really need their installation video. You can search youtube for installations instruction for other carplay models. As long as the car is matching, you are good to go. Just skip the portion for removing glove box.. For monitor removal, yes, you need to remove it.. I did not think of it when I said only need to remove radio since removing the monitor was quite easy. Good luck.
In general you need to take out the monitor as the systems connect to the back of the factory display with the video cable.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350