RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21, 09:46 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sz8
I got mine from aliexpress.com. Just search road top carplay for lexus. Should run around $259.
Hi, just received my unit from roadtop and going to install it this weekend (2016 with 12.3" nav with joystick)
Would greatly appreciate your help with a couple of questions I have -

1. where did you place the Wifi antenna? Can I leave it behind the radio together with the module?
2. There is a default connection "Can control" to "Old car no screen split" which is C+A. Did you leave it default or used another cable to reconfigure the connection (C+F and A+C)?
3. How did you route the USB cable?

thanks in advance
Old 12-03-21, 11:37 AM
jeronberna
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@gromaudio is there a way to use a aftermarket microphone? do i need to change anything in the settings of the grom device? I just can't get the stock microphone to sound any decent, unless you might have other options or ideas? the people i talk to on the phone tell me that they can't understand half of what i am saying, and the only way for them to understand me is for me to switch to bluetooth to the actual cars UI, or to put the phone on speakerphone.

I don't mind running a aftermarket microphone dedicated just to the Vline2, if it will make my call quality better. Thank you
Old 12-03-21, 03:31 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jeronberna
@gromaudio is there a way to use a aftermarket microphone? do i need to change anything in the settings of the grom device? I just can't get the stock microphone to sound any decent, unless you might have other options or ideas? the people i talk to on the phone tell me that they can't understand half of what i am saying, and the only way for them to understand me is for me to switch to bluetooth to the actual cars UI, or to put the phone on speakerphone.

I don't mind running a aftermarket microphone dedicated just to the Vline2, if it will make my call quality better. Thank you
Yes you can use aftermarket mics. It can be amplified or passive. After installation make sure to calibrate the mic via Hamburger (three lines) -> Mic gain AUTO. Or you can try doing auto tune with the factory mic first.
Old 12-04-21, 05:00 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexRX
Hi, just received my unit from roadtop and going to install it this weekend (2016 with 12.3" nav with joystick)

1. where did you place the Wifi antenna? Can I leave it behind the radio together with the module?
2. There is a default connection "Can control" to "Old car no screen split" which is C+A. Did you leave it default or used another cable to reconfigure the connection (C+F and A+C)?

thanks in advance

I'm very interested in getting this.

Please let us know if you found the answers to your questions and also how the system is working.

How does phone work? Through oem mic and staying buttons?

Can you use CarPlay and still listen to radio?
Old 12-05-21, 04:07 AM
jeronberna
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes you can use aftermarket mics. It can be amplified or passive. After installation make sure to calibrate the mic via Hamburger (three lines) -> Mic gain AUTO. Or you can try doing auto tune with the factory mic first.
Where can i locate Mic auto gain? Is it in the android settings? Or where can we find auto tuning for the factory mic?

I’m assuming this is outside of the carplay area, but instead somewhere in the Vline or android settings. I don’t know where the three lines is located.

thank you
Old 12-05-21, 10:13 PM
sz8
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

1. For wifi antenna, you can put it behind radio. I zip-tied it to a plastic piece nearby (a few inches behind the radio) and kept it pointing up position. According to the instruction from Roadtop, you supposed to put it away from metal.
2. I don't know the answer since I don't have the split option. I have a 8 inch non-navi RX350. You can directly ask the seller the question (assuming you bought it from aliexpress), and they normally respond in 24 hours.
3. For USB cable, I routed it through the left side of passenger's foot well and stick it to the right side of the console. It is located at the right side of the cup holder facing passenger seat.

Good luck

thanks in advance
Old 12-11-21, 01:57 PM
butler620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsailt box RX450h

Hi,

can somebody help me please? I have a Lsailt box and it’s fantastic for my RX450h, absolutely love it. The only down side is when on CarPlay, when using Apple maps for example (the announcements) or Siri the voice sounds very distorted and crackerly. The music is very good and sounds great through my ML system. Does anybody have any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-21, 04:50 PM
sz8
Driver

My roadtop unit also did that when I first installed. It turned out that the audio ground from one of the plugs was not connected to ground. After I did that, sound issue was resolved. Not sure if this solution is applicable to your unit.

Originally Posted by butler620
Hi,

can somebody help me please? I have a Lsailt box and it’s fantastic for my RX450h, absolutely love it. The only down side is when on CarPlay, when using Apple maps for example (the announcements) or Siri the voice sounds very distorted and crackerly. The music is very good and sounds great through my ML system. Does anybody have any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-21, 08:19 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sz8
My roadtop unit also did that when I first installed. It turned out that the audio ground from one of the plugs was not connected to ground. After I did that, sound issue was resolved. Not sure if this solution is applicable to your unit.
How is your sound quality when you play music through bluetooth? When I play music through carplay it's perfect, but when I play it through bluetooth there is a millisecond interruption every 5-7 seconds. Are you having a similar problem?
Old 12-12-21, 12:57 AM
butler620
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sz8
Ok thanks for the response. So I should check all the connections? It’s annoying everything works great apart from the voice over and Siri .
Old 12-13-21, 07:22 AM
sz8
Driver

How is your sound quality when you play music through bluetooth? When I play music through carplay it's perfect, but when I play it through bluetooth there is a millisecond interruption every 5-7 seconds. Are you having a similar problem?
Mine is the same. I suspect that the issue is that your phone connects to two bluetooth devices at the same time (one through Lexus OEM and one through carplay). and that causes the issue. I just unpaired the one on the OEM side since I don't need it anymore.
Old 12-13-21, 07:28 AM
sz8
Driver

Ok thanks for the response. So I should check all the connections? It’s annoying everything works great apart from the voice over and Siri .
Yes. You should check all wires to make sure they are connected per instructions. You might need some support from the vendor though. Just to clarify, in my case, all sound sources, bluetooth, map announcement, etc, came out bad, If that is not the case for you, it might be a different issue.
Old 12-13-21, 08:07 AM
butler620
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sz8
Mine is the same. I suspect that the issue is that your phone connects to two bluetooth devices at the same time (one through Lexus OEM and one through carplay). and that causes the issue. I just unpaired the one on the OEM side since I don't need it anymore.
Thats a good idea, but how do you take phone calls if you forget the Lexus OEM Bluetooth? As the Lsailt box when answering a call currently switches from CarPlay to the OEM side and takes the call and when you hang up it takes you back to CarPlay.
Old 12-14-21, 04:50 PM
sz8
Driver

For me, phone calls are all handled within Carplay. Carplay has a button of "Phone" and you can dial out or take calls within Carplay. I don't know why your box provides bluetooth connection but still needs to switch back to OEM side for taking calls. Are you sure that is how it works? What happens if you click on the Phone icon in the Carplay, does it also go back to OEM interface? If that is the case, maybe check the app of the device (I assume it is an Andriod app) to see if there is any update to resolve it.

Thats a good idea, but how do you take phone calls if you forget the Lexus OEM Bluetooth? As the Lsailt box when answering a call currently switches from CarPlay to the OEM side and takes the call and when you hang up it takes you back to CarPlay.
Old 12-17-21, 10:04 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My Lsailt unit has started to lose connection, requiring a BT reconnect often now.
Cosmo has suggested a Zlink update to .18 and Autoplaybox update.
anyone else do these updates?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350