RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 02:56 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by calumin00
My wife has a 2019 RX450h which just missed the cut for Apple CarPlay. As you probably know, the default navigation system in the car is pretty terrible and so she’s always using her iPhone manually for directions, with no car integration. She really would like to use CarPlay instead. However, she’s not very technically savvy and third party solutions that are overly wonky or buggy will probably just make things worse.

What would you suggest we do?
1) get an aftermarket CarPlay solution. Is there one you’d recommend?
2) just live with what we have. My guess is this will only be viable for a year or two
3) trade in now to get a newer Lexus with CarPlay support (obviously not a preferred option)

its pretty crazy how important this one little feature has become for overall car experience, but I’m trying to figure out if any of the third party solutions work well and are idiot proof.
For 2019 Lexus RX 350 with factory nav you can get GROm VLine system, model LEX89VL2:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex89.html

It has wireless CarPlay, and wired via USB as well. If you are in Dallas TX area, we can do the install for you.
Old 03-29-22, 07:16 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone had both Beatsonic and one of these other units? Wondering how they compare.
Old 04-15-22, 06:28 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question. After using the lsailt for a period of time how often have you guys had to reopen the center console to troubleshoot. Would you guys recommend installing it behind the center console or in the glovebox.
Old 04-16-22, 04:33 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mines in the glove box and have never had to manually unplug it. Be careful of heat build up, leave a little room for it to breath.
works fairly well, a little glitchy, once in a while, but, all in all really a great upgrade, which we use constantly and depend on it.
we have the Lsailt unit.
Old 04-17-22, 07:29 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Mines in the glove box and have never had to manually unplug it. Be careful of heat build up, leave a little room for it to breath.
works fairly well, a little glitchy, once in a while, but, all in all really a great upgrade, which we use constantly and depend on it.
we have the Lsailt unit.
Are your wires incoming from behind the glove box or the left side of the glove box? Do you have any issues closing the glove box or pinching the wires?
Old 04-20-22, 03:53 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Left side of glovebox, no problems with opening or closure.
The following users liked this post:
CJA (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 09:20 AM
keweimao
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a RoadTop on an RX and the unit sits behind the radio. It is wireless CarPlay so the USB is not required, but I route it to the glove box from the left side and have no issue with opening/closing.

I've posted an installation video here with the details:

So far, I am very happy with the upgrade, though I did experience a few issues at first, for example:
1. Joystick pages up and down on a vertical list, e.g. skipping a number of contacts;
2. Audio echo/loop during phone calls;
3. Siri activation using on-wheel voice button.

But I was able to resolve or mitigate these issues via their online support. I do speak in Chinese so perhaps that makes things easier.
The game changer for me is Siri. Now that I can activate anything on the CarPlay with voice, the experience is smooth and, for now, I have no major complaint.

Hope to post a review/video after some more use, and will share it soon.

Last edited by keweimao; 04-24-22 at 09:26 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by keweimao:
exploreco (04-25-22), maraynman (11-09-22), natedahms (04-25-22), rxtimes2 (04-25-22)
Old 04-25-22, 04:11 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

That is a great video. Truly professional grade. Thank you for taking the time to produce it. Wish you were nearby so I could hire you to do mine.
keweimao (04-25-22)
Old 04-25-22, 08:19 AM
keweimao
7th Gear

You are welcome! Appreciate the kind words. Hope the video is helpful, as the provided user manual lacks certain details, and I'm happy to share more.
Old 04-25-22, 06:01 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered what I thought was suppose to be a carlinkit carplay interface off eBay for my 2019 RX350 but ended up receiving this interface instead. I just spent the last few hours fast scrolling through all 100 pages of this thread looking at pics hoping to figure out what unit it was so I greatly appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Unfortunately I was sent the wrong wiring harness. Hopefully I can get it sorted out and install this thing soon. I was debating on opening a return but you just changed my mind. thanks...
Old 04-25-22, 07:03 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by natedahms
I ordered what I thought was suppose to be a carlinkit carplay interface off eBay for my 2019 RX350 but ended up receiving this interface instead. I just spent the last few hours fast scrolling through all 100 pages of this thread looking at pics hoping to figure out what unit it was so I greatly appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Unfortunately I was sent the wrong wiring harness. Hopefully I can get it sorted out and install this thing soon. I was debating on opening a return but you just changed my mind. thanks...
RX added wired CarPlay in 2020.

I'm not aware of any Carlinkit to add CarPlay to a car that didn't come with some CarPlay from factory.
Old 04-25-22, 07:04 PM
exploreco
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Very nice video. Wish it offered Android Auto capability. Like the price compared to some of the other alternatives out there.
Old 04-25-22, 07:17 PM
keweimao
7th Gear

Originally Posted by natedahms
When I ordered it, I sent them a message with my specific year model and asked them to send me the correct cables. They sent me extra cables than I needed. I believed in your case you can request correct cables now that you got the wrong ones. Hope it works out in the end.
Old 04-25-22, 07:22 PM
keweimao
7th Gear

Originally Posted by exploreco
Very nice video. Wish it offered Android Auto capability. Like the price compared to some of the other alternatives out there.
It does offer wired and wireless Android Auto according to RoadTop user manual, but I haven't tried that yet. I have an android phone and will test this.
exploreco (04-27-22)
Old 04-26-22, 03:00 AM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
RX added wired CarPlay in 2020.

I'm not aware of any Carlinkit to add CarPlay to a car that didn't come with some CarPlay from factory.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...for-319-a.html

Carlinkit for RX sold out on Amazon Carlinkit for RX sold out on Amazon

I wanted to go with a interface that only does CarPlay or Android Auto & CarPlay. I have one of those carlinkit type AI box things called the MMB-11 that your talking about and it sucks. It has so many bugs its partially unusable for wireless AA. Google assistant doesn't work for voice, 50% of the time it gets hung up booting and I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in, google maps doesn't auto change for light and dark mode, ect ect.... The android system works good to use apps downloaded from Google Play, but who wants to have to tether all the time and eat up mobile hotspot data. I figured the interface boxes like lsailt that run apps downloaded from google play would have more bugs or the OS will end up getting outdated and apps will stop working compared to CarPlay and/or AA interface where all the software changes happen on the phone via updates and the interface software never needs to change. The one USB device I found that works 100% of the time and is amazing AF is the Motorola MA1 but that's only for wireless AA if you already have factory wired AA... which I do.... The CarPlay interface is for my wife's 19' RX350

Last edited by natedahms; 04-26-22 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350