RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 01:09 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=tfrancois;11297558]
Originally Posted by natedahms
This Roadtop Carplay interface just keeps giving. Earlier today I went out and bought a Google Chromecast with GoogleTV to hook up to the Roadtop's HDMI port. This thing is bad ***... It's like having a Nvidia Shield in you car but only uses 5 Volt DC, 1.5 amp, 7.5 Watts max.

I don't see any reason to buy a Carplay interface that runs android apps. It could never come close to competing with GoogleTV. The GoogleTV interface is so smooth for entertainment apps and is easy to use with the provided remote. For its size and only pulling 7.5w, it's really fast and as stable as you're going to get.
[
/QUOTE]

I recently installed the Grom Audio VLine2 in my 2017 RX and did the EXACT same thing here - in fact my HDMI/USB connector is setup exactly as yours is (in the same place as well) and I use my FireTV stick without issue. So many options now to play/watch in my vehicle on the 12.3" screen, I actually look forward to long trips in the car. I'm def glad my 2017 didn't come with factory Carplay. I'd much rather the setup I have now and will be hard to give it up when I decide to upgrade the model year in a few years. Was lucky and got a mint 2017 with only 20K miles so don't have to worry about that just yet!
Can this be done with the lsailt?
Old 05-31-22, 06:30 PM
silvergrey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a Grom Vline2. Can you explain, if the interface for the FireTV Stick automatically boots up on the screen once it is plug in or is there an option I have to choose to switch to the FireTV Stick?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-22, 11:32 AM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just got my Roadmap device, install went perfectly fine. I'm doing some testing BEFORE I button things back down. Here are some issues that I'm having.

1) Remote Lever navigating around the menus is TERRIBLE. To finicky. I can get around but man its aggravating and my wife will not put up with that. So hopefully there's something I'm missing or can do.

2) No audio via Apple CarPlay. I can see my Pandora music timer going but there is NO SOUND at all. I have sound coming from my built in radio, etc.

3) there is a white horizontal bar flashing on the bottom of the screen. Not sure if the scaling is off or I need to do something to adjust that or not.

4) I cannot hear or people cannot hear me during a call. I can hear voice prompts about a text message but not sure if this is the OEM feature or the RoadTop device.

I've checked the dip switches and they are correct for my vehicle.

Does any one have any recommendations?

Last edited by whiteghost; 06-03-22 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-03-22, 02:09 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteghost
1) Remote Lever navigating around the menus is TERRIBLE. To finicky. I can get around but man its aggravating and my wife will not put up with that. So hopefully there's something I'm missing or can do.
In settings
Code:
Touch Pad/Remote Lever = Remote Lever
Forget about up and down with the Joystick. Only left and right work and use the side enter buttons instead of pressing the Joystick down for Enter.
2) No audio via Apple CarPlay. I can see my Pandora music timer going but there is NO SOUND at all. I have sound coming from my built in radio, etc.
In Lexus setting select AUX as Source. That should solve your sound issue. Also delete all Bluetooth connections saved in Lexus system and forget your Lexus Bluetooth in your phones BT settings.

3) there is a white horizontal bar flashing on the bottom of the screen. Not sure if the scaling is off or I need to do something to adjust that or not.
I have not experienced this issue. Could be dip switch or you need to adjust some settings for display in Roadtop settings.

4) I cannot hear or people cannot hear me during a call. I can hear voice prompts about a text message but not sure if this is the OEM feature or the RoadTop device.
I originally thought phone worked best connected to OEM Lexus Bluetooth and using the Roadtop setting for
Code:
Using Car's BT Phone = on
but realized I was having too many issues that way. The way @keweimao uses seems to work best but going this route the steering wheel button will not work for Siri. Delete all bluetooth connections from the Lexus OEM system and only connect to the Roadtop for BT. This will most likely give you an echo but if you go into Audio settings in Roadtop and use
Code:
Mic Echo PreConfig = lx570
It will fix the echo.

Last edited by natedahms; 06-04-22 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 02:57 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Thanks for the help!

1) I have the touch pad in the settings of the Roadmap device set to REMOTE LEVER. Ok, I'll give that a shot with using the left/right and then enter button instead of pushing down on the joystick.

2) I did not know about this AUX setting and will set this up. I will also delete all Lexus Bluetooth devices and delete the Lexus Bluetooth on my phone. Another question related to this...does this mean in the future I'll need to select AUX every time we get in the vehicle to get the audio working? If so, that kind of sucks...I hope not and hope that its automatic from then on.

3) I'll keep looking around about this issue and check the display settings and verify the dip switches.

4) I will delete the all Bluetooth connections and use just the Roadmap Bluetooth. I'll also, configure the mic echo preconfigured to LX570.

Another question to clear up. I am assuming I need to go into the Roadmap settings and change the "AA Menu/Back Key to ON?
Old 06-03-22, 03:56 PM
natedahms
Driver

does this mean in the future I'll need to select AUX every time we get in the vehicle to get the audio working? If so, that kind of sucks...I hope not and hope that its automatic from then on.
No, it will stay in AUX. It will also open into carplay/aa once you have everything set up right. It just takes 30 seconds or so to boot and switch over from Lexus UI. At first I didnt notice it switched over automatically because I was switching it over myself before it had a time to do it on its own. You will most likely never use the Lexus UI again once you get this Carplay interface usable. I kept having a issue with Lexus UI switching source from AUX to BT on its own. That's why I suggested deleting all your OEM BT connections in the Lexus UI. But when I say I, I really mean my wife. Its in her car, she just tells me the issues and I try to reproduce the glitch and fix it. So some things Im not 100% sure if its user error from her hitting buttons or if its settings.

Another question to clear up. I am assuming I need to go into the Roadmap settings and change the "AA Menu/Back Key to ON?
No, I dont think so. Mine is set to off.
The following users liked this post:
whiteghost (06-03-22)
Old 06-07-22, 01:47 PM
Dave0089

I just got my Roadmap device, install went perfectly fine. I'm doing some testing BEFORE I button things back down. Here are some issues that I'm having.

I've checked the dip switches and they are correct for my vehicle.

Does any one have any recommendations?
I just finished installing a road top on my 2017 Lexus rx350 F sport that did not come with factory navigation.

The connections were different from the video "professor garage" uploaded however I was able to figure it out since all the connections were specific to certain cords.

It all seems to be working well except I have no audio at all. I removed/"forgot "my cell phone from the car as recommended and also ensured that the car is in the aux setting. My pandora also shows that it's streaming but no audio whatsoever on that or from calls.
​​​​​

I'm about to put it back together now and is hoping someone has a working solution.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-22, 12:16 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 590 Likes on 413 Posts

ROAD TOP wireless CarPlay - Android Auto installation experience and initial impressions

I bough the Road Top few weeks ago and installed it couple of weeks (using Professor Garage on YouTube as guideline). I ran my USB and additional camera (for my trailer) cables to center console so that they are readily accessible.

I have been trying to work out few of the issues with the vendor since then. So far happy with vendors responsiveness and helpfulness.

I have a 2016 RX with Navigation (12.3" screen) mouse (Joystick) and 360 camera 📸

Here are the issues I had and what I figured out and what was suggested by vendor remotely:

1- Mouse was very finicky and erratic - Vendor suggested that I install the mouse connection cable to the mouse and change the toggle switches accordingly. That improved it greatly

2- Bluetooth calls would go through AUX instead of RX OEM Bluetooth. - changed the setting in Road Top and also with the change of toggles after installation of mouse connection it is much better. Still occasionally calls go through AUX. I have to go to OEM screen and uncheck HANDSET in Bluetooth call then sound comes through car Bluetooth.

3- Screen was shifted up and the remaining OEM was visible (about 1/8") from bottom and kept flickering. - Vendor created an update file and I installed on unit and it is good now.

4- Music from phone was playing through AUX at lower quality. - I connected my phone to RX as media and phone and switch to Bluetooth input. Then use the play button on dash to start the phone music (Spotify) and the music is played through OEM Bluetooth input ant good quality, while the display shows apple CarPlay

If you want sound from CarPlay (Map or text message reading from Siri then your input must be on AUX.

Siri still works by holding the unhook phone button on steering wheel, even if you are on Radio or Bluetooth input. It hears you, but you can not hear it back since it routes sound through AUX.

I have both an Android and Apple phone and find that CarPlay has been better with mouse movements and less connection issues. I have to physically connect the Android occasionally through USB to connect Android Auto. CarPlay connects regularly, wirelessly.

I will test it for few more weeks for mid-term performance and report back. Hoping that long term it will be reliable.

Stay Tuned for more updates in the future.
gromaudio (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 12:53 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

For those interested in GROM VLine VL2 system for Lexus 2017 RX 350 with factory nav, we have Father's Day special today with $50 off. Coupon code is DAD22. The correct module (LEX89VL2) is available here:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex89.html

If you have Lexus RX 350 2017 no-nav, different model will be needed (LEXKVL2):

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lexk.html
Old 06-20-22, 01:19 PM
kuriibo
2nd gear

Originally Posted by sz8
My roadtop unit also did that when I first installed. It turned out that the audio ground from one of the plugs was not connected to ground. After I did that, sound issue was resolved. Not sure if this solution is applicable to your unit.
I’m having the exact same issue, how did your ground the wire? Did you tape the round nub thing to the radio metal frame?
Old 06-20-22, 02:59 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Roadtop unit

the echo is really bad for the person calling into the Roadtop device.

any suggestions?

I’ve tried it at the “lx570” and the “default” settings and both are horrible.
Old 06-20-22, 06:16 PM
natedahms
Driver

Roadtop
The echo is really bad for the person calling into the Roadtop device.
any suggestions?
I think I might have finely figured this thing out and wife proofed it. It's taken a lot of trial and error but the original way I set it up using Lexus OEM Bluetooth for phone seems to be optimal.

The main issue I see is iOS is straight trash... which is exacerbated because this Carplay interface isn't 100% OEM Carplay...
1) There is no option in iPhone settings to select what type of Bluetooth connection you want, Phone or Audio.
2) There is no option in iPhone settings to preferer a WiFi SSID.
2) There is no way to choose a preferred map, podcast or music app on an iPhone.
3) Apple AI chooses your playback destination

iPhone uses AI to determine these last three things. WTF was apple thinking? They some how think their AI knows what I want to do better than I do... Apple obviously caters to less technologically advanced uses that need the phone to make decisions for them.

To get around these limitations first thing you have to do is go into your iPhones Bluetooth settings and "Forget" the OEM Lexus Bluetooth.
Then go into Lexus Bluetooth settings and "Forget" your iPhone.

Then re-pair them but DO NOT give Lexus RX OEM Bluetooth permissions to your iPhone contacts or messages. If you do the OEM Lexus phone screen will occasionally take priority over Carplay.

Then go into Lexus UI settings.
Click Bluetooth
In Bluetooth Setup click on your phone's name
Then at the bottom right click "Device Info"
Change "Connect Audio Player From" = "Device"

Then go into your Bluetooth settings in your iPhone and Disconnect from the OEM Lexus Bluetooth connection. (not forget, just disconnect)

Then back into the Lexus UI's Bluetooth settings for your phone's name and click "Connect as a Phone" leaving Connect as Audio Device disconnected.

This is the only way I've found to prevent an iPhone from connecting for both Phone and Audio every time you start the car.

Then go into Roadtop settings.
Wheel key swap = < No swap >
Touch Pad/Remote Lever = Remote Lever > (If you have Joy Stick)
AA Menu/Back Key For Left/Right Switching = ON (This allows you to jump to different sections of Android auto's new split screen using the Menu and Back key)
Using Car's BT Phone = ON

Then in Roadtop settings
Go into CarPlay/AndroidAuto
Enable Carplay U/D Key = ON (This enables the up/down buttons between Map & Menu)

Then on your iPhone, go into
Settings
>Accessibility
>Touch
>Call Audio Routing
Select "Bluetooth Headset"

Then find and open the "Shortcuts" app on your iPhone
Click "Automation" at center bottom of screen
Click "+" in upper right corner of screen
Click "Create Personal Automation"
Select "Bluetooth"
Device = LEXUS RX OEM bluetooth connection
Click "Next" in upper right corner of screen
At bottom "Search for apps and actions"
Type "WiFi"
Select "Set Wi-Fi"
Click "Done"

This automates turning on WiFi every time your iPhone connects to Lexus OEM Bluetooth. Its just a fail over incase your WiFi is off or has a issue connecting to Roadtop Carplay because it's connected to another WiFi connection that Apple's AI prefers.

Then do the same again... But this time
YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE CAR CONNECTED TO CARPLAY

Click "Automation" at center bottom of screen
Click "+" in upper right corner of screen
Click "Create Personal Automation"
Select "Bluetooth"
Device = LEXUS RX OEM bluetooth connection
At bottom "Search for apps and actions"

But this time...
Type "Change Playback Destination"
Select "Change Playback Destination"
Click the blue word "iPhone"
Then Select "Carplay"
Click "Done"

* If you are not connected to Carplay, Carplay will not come up as an option.

This automates your playback to Carplay when connected to OEM Lexus Bluetooth. Its the only way around Apple's AI choosing for you based on what you use most.

You have to set Source to AUX on OEM Lexus UI.

Even with these fail overs, sometimes Lexus UI will auto switch from AUX to Bluetooth when you start the car. Doesn't happen often but does happen, so if no audio, that is most likely the reason.

All these work arounds and automations above are equivalents of settings a top tier Android has natively.

Also note Carplay will not work while your iPhone is connected to a VPN. In all fairness, Android Auto doesn't work while connected to VPN either, but a full screen message will pop up in Android OS letting you know there's a error within Android Auto and tells you to disconnect from your VPN. I guess Apple likes to keep people guessing.

Last edited by natedahms; 06-22-22 at 05:41 PM.
rxtimes2 (06-21-22)
Old 06-21-22, 10:02 AM
tfrancois
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silvergrey
I also have a Grom Vline2. Can you explain, if the interface for the FireTV Stick automatically boots up on the screen once it is plug in or is there an option I have to choose to switch to the FireTV Stick?

Thanks.
Not sure if you got a reply to this question yet, but I have the Grom VLine2 in my 2017 RX350 and I have the FireTV Stick connected to the HDMI port (my setup is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL to the ones pictured above where there is a HDMI + USB connector installed in the center console - I also was able to install the VLine2 at the very bottom of this deep compartment and still have the pull out compartment back in place hiding the VLine2 perfectly!). I'm happy to report that the VLine2 does a really good job of trying to remember what it was last doing when the vehicle is turned back on most of the time. But because the FireStick requires WiFI reconnection, at times it does require you to exit out whatever you were watching to reconnect to the WiFi source. This is separate of course form the Grom WiFi settings that also need to be reconnected (usually also connects on its own half the time). What I've learned is that my vehicle usually leaves power for the HDMI port for about 10-15 minutes after shutting off, anytime longer than that and it requires repeating some steps to get back to your viewing. But I think this is a small price to pay for such an incredible do-it-yourself add-on.

I HIGHLY recommend the Grom VL2 for RX350 owners! The support team is US-based and therefore you'll get quicker responses to your support questions, you get both CarPlay and Android Auto for the price, AND the build quality is outstanding and does not require you to switch out the 12.3" screen. I shockingly installed it myself following the guides in this thread and everything works! Very happy customer.
Old 07-05-22, 09:47 AM
kuriibo
2nd gear

Originally Posted by kuriibo
I’m having the exact same issue, how did your ground the wire? Did you tape the round nub thing to the radio metal frame?
SOLVED: regarding the clear wifi connection (music) and the choppy/clipping in and out sound bluetooth connection (google navigation voice)...in my case i didn't have to use any grounding wires for the roadtop unit. It was a simple firmware update the vendor sent to me and i updated it via usb. I was previously on "CUST Version: LR166" and updated to "CUST Version: LR168_a". Music/navigation sound all good. Caller still hears an echo though, might have to try out connecting phone to OEM bluetooth only. Another thing, the navigation voice was way too loud over the music and I didn't know how to adjust it...turns out if you adjust the "alert volume" in the roadtop audio settings it will adjust the google navigation voice volume. Mine is set to 7.
Old 07-07-22, 08:41 PM
SneedFeed
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone upgraded to the newest MCU on the Lsailt?

My unit is now blinking every second with an audible clicking noise. The remote touch no longer works. It isn't the turning on at all.

Is my unit bricked?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350