RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 11:31 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by brainhackr
do you know their watsapp?

It was in the paperwork that came with it in the box. I don't have it on me.
Old 09-30-22, 12:31 PM
brainhackr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
It was in the paperwork that came with it in the box. I don't have it on me.
how did you install it? I really don't think it's roadtop issue. it's the installation problem on my end. i am thinking i did the ground wrong.
Old 09-30-22, 03:07 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

My only issue is that Iphone randomly sends calls to cars bluetooth and next time to head set then another time to Carplay that is only on Aux.
You probably need to disconnect the Bluetooth from the headunit, as you can do the phone calls on CarPlay.
Old 10-03-22, 03:36 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by gromaudio
You probably need to disconnect the Bluetooth from the headunit, as you can do the phone calls on CarPlay.

That would require the input to stay on AUX all the time. I also listen to radio. And the steering wheel controls do not function when calls are on Carplay.
Old 10-03-22, 09:10 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

That would require the input to stay on AUX all the time. I also listen to radio. And the steering wheel controls do not function when calls are on Carplay.
Got it. There might be the system limitations, as the CarPlay device that you connected is aftermarket. With GROM VLine system you can use FM and be in CarPlay at the same time, but not for all vehicles. In general the recommendation is to get FM radio through CarPlay, there are iPhone apps that will get you FM or XM radio options. It will be more of a straight forward user experience, and you can use Siri to ask to play specific radio station.
Old 10-15-22, 05:38 PM
brainhackr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brainhackr
how did you install it? I really don't think it's roadtop issue. it's the installation problem on my end. i am thinking i did the ground wrong.
I did ground wrong, AUDIO-GRND should not be grounded. all fixed.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (10-16-22)
Old 10-22-22, 06:02 PM
brainhackr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by natedahms
In settings
Code:
Touch Pad/Remote Lever = Remote Lever
Forget about up and down with the Joystick. Only left and right work and use the side enter buttons instead of pressing the Joystick down for Enter.

In Lexus setting select AUX as Source. That should solve your sound issue. Also delete all Bluetooth connections saved in Lexus system and forget your Lexus Bluetooth in your phones BT settings.

I have not experienced this issue. Could be dip switch or you need to adjust some settings for display in Roadtop settings.

I originally thought phone worked best connected to OEM Lexus Bluetooth and using the Roadtop setting for
Code:
Using Car's BT Phone = on
but realized I was having too many issues that way. The way @keweimao uses seems to work best but going this route the steering wheel button will not work for Siri. Delete all bluetooth connections from the Lexus OEM system and only connect to the Roadtop for BT. This will most likely give you an echo but if you go into Audio settings in Roadtop and use
Code:
Mic Echo PreConfig = lx570
It will fix the echo.

I just have to add something. I was experiencing too much bass. You need to disable LOUDNESS and adjust EQ in the lexus UI sound setting. the sound quality using that 800+h is terrible.
Old 11-09-22, 04:11 PM
ben05654
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Lexion Carplay?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and wish to get some insights from the members who have installed Lexion carplay module for their RX. I have a 2019 Lexus RX450h Limited version (in US standard, I assume it is called luxury) with a 12.3 screen, 360 panoramic camera, and Mark Levinson system. I always wanted a Carplay as the OEM infotainment system is so outdated. I had one installed previously by a local installer (not sure about the brand of the product ) and it was very buggy as it has compatibility issues with the 360 panoramic camera (front camera). As you may know that whenever RX is driving at low speed or parking against the obstacles in the front, the front camera will be activated along with the panoramic view and the parking sensor indicator (or split screen). However, with this carplay unit, what it does is instead of switching back to the OEM front camera view completely, the display is showing the mixture of the OEM front camera and carplay interface (partially), and it freezes from there. Reversing camera is working fine tho. the problem only seems to appear with the front camera.

Then, my friend recommended the Lexion unit, the module I'm looking at the moment is the "Lexion A10-LXi" (carplay interface unit only without the aftermarket screen). He had this installed on his IS and it works as expected, but his car doesn't have the 360 panoramic camera, so it still doesn't address my concern. I have consulted with the vendor from Lexion, and he promised that their unit is 100% compatible with the factory 360 camera, and will always switch to OEM display completely regardless of its front or rear camera. but it still concerns me due to my past experiences, especially since their return policy is a bit ambiguous and I couldn't find much of the REAL customer review on the internet at all.

Has anyone in this forum had the Lexion unit installed on their car? How does it performs with the factory 360 panoramic camera? How does the unit holds in the long term and is there any other issues that you can share? Thanks so much in advance and sorry if I didn't explain my situation clearly.

Old 11-11-22, 05:29 AM
maraynman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Road Top Works Well

After reading about the installation, I reviewed the Professor's Garage posting on YouTube!! Thank you for that. The pictures and labels were very good. (Caution, don't put your shift **** in your console, you will drive yourself crazy trying to find it when reassembling, or maybe that is just me!!!)

I set aside two hours to get the work done, I ordered the Road Top from Ali Express at this link The order arrived in 3 days, much to my surprise even though they said 14 days and please click all the coupons to get the additional discounts. Ali Express applies all collected coupons to your order as they qualify. Saved lots on the order.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558...andl_shipto=US

The removal and reinstall were easy to follow and the cables connected with no issues. I will warn anyone trying this that they must have a strategy for the two radio bolts. The angles are challenging and the Lexus part numbers for them is 90119-A0105. Total time was about 85 minutes minus a delivery that came early and cable verification for other cables in the box that were not necessary for the 2017 RX with Navigation. The wireless CarPlay connects seamlessly and after remembering to switch the audio to AUX, the sound comes thru fine. Bluetooth calling worked thru CarPlay and the OEM and even switched back and forth but no interruption to the calls. (I am not going to complain about the joystick because as fellow Lexus owners, we ALL know the joy of the JOYSTICK. Overall, I want to thank each of you that shared your experiences. This forum has been a great place to learn more about the Lexus I own. I am really appreciative. Keep enjoying your car and keep posting.
flyxwire (12-19-22)
Old 11-28-22, 04:49 PM
Gbaird
1st Gear

Default 2019 rx 350 f sport stereo upgrade

Want to upgrade 2019 RX 350 F to incorporate Android Auto & Apple Car Play. Looks like factory has no upgrades for this model year. Looking at Grom LVL2 & Lexion as options.
Anyone have input or recommendations on this?
Old 12-04-22, 03:27 AM
napir
2nd gear

Read a bunch of the thread and searched a bit, so apologies if I missed it...

How does the unit deal with multiple drivers? I had similar units in a Porsche Cayenne and a BMW 5-series, and while really good for a single driver, they fall on their face when it comes to switching drivers.

Some examples of what I mean:
- If I connect my phone and connect to CarPlay, will it pick up her phone seamlessly the next time she's in the car? Or will she need to set up her phone, forget device, add device, etc?
- If we're both in the car, is it easy to select which phone to connect to?
- Can you set the priority of connection (eg. wife 1, me 2)? Or does it just connect to the last device it was connected to?

Thanks in advance, we're looking at picking up a used RX and trying to decide if springing for a 2020 is worth it, as CarPlay is just about the only feature that has us looking at newer.

Last edited by napir; 12-04-22 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-04-22, 08:19 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by napir
Thanks in advance, we're looking at picking up a used RX and trying to decide if springing for a 2020 is worth it, as CarPlay is just about the only feature that has us looking at newer.
What's the current cost delta between the 17 and 20?
Old 12-04-22, 08:25 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

How does the unit deal with multiple drivers? I had similar units in a Porsche Cayenne and a BMW 5-series, and while really good for a single driver, they fall on their face when it comes to switching drivers.

- If I connect my phone and connect to CarPlay, will it pick up her phone seamlessly the next time she's in the car? Or will she need to set up her phone, forget device, add device, etc?
- Can you set the priority of connection (eg. wife 1, me 2)? Or does it just connect to the last device it was connected to?

Here is my 2˘:.
The aftermarket wireless relatively well. It connects to 1 phone at a time. No prority

I only use the wired version to make sure the correct phone connects.

The mouse movements are not optomal.

In order to hear the map guidance the audio must be on AUX. Can't listen to radio and map prompts at the same time.

If I have the choice of integrated CarPlay vs aftermarket, OEM would be my choice.
Old 12-04-22, 09:23 AM
napir
2nd gear

Originally Posted by eddie420
What's the current cost delta between the 17 and 20?
Looks like about $10k, I still need to read up on the differences between all the years, but 2018 seems like a sweet spot where I can get something CPO'd and still be pretty up-to-date. Not buying until the spring, so the 2020 may come down more with the new model being released.

Here is my 2˘:.
The aftermarket wireless relatively well. It connects to 1 phone at a time. No prority

I only use the wired version to make sure the correct phone connects.

The mouse movements are not optomal.

In order to hear the map guidance the audio must be on AUX. Can't listen to radio and map prompts at the same time.

If I have the choice of integrated CarPlay vs aftermarket, OEM would be my choice.
You say it only connects to one at a time, does it not allow more than one in its memory? Bummer if true. As far as just using the wired connection, that's a good idea. I was looking at one of the wireless conversion boxes if going with the 2020 OEM setup.

We listen to Spotify 100% of the time and don't use audio map prompts, so I could live with that limitation, but good to know.

Good feedback, thanks!
Old 12-06-22, 03:42 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

There is the limitation with Bluetooth technology, as in most Bluetooth devices (not just aftermarket car stereo add-ons), and you cannot have two phones connected at the same time via Bluetooth for CarPlay or Android Auto. You certainly can set up the connections and pair your smartphones ahead of time, and then all you will need to do is to connect the specific smartphone.

If you are both enter the car, most likely the system will connect to the last smartphone it was connected to. Then if you will want to use the other phone, you will need to disconnect currently connected phone, and connect the other one. It is the same for home stereos.

For Lexus RX 2013-2019 with factory navigation the VLine VL2 compatible model is LEX89VL2:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex89.html

Most GROM users say that for CarPlay using VLine in this vehicle it is "OEM like" experience.

napir (12-07-22)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350