RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Change the climate control from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 12:06 PM
Dhabeck1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Change the climate control from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Can you change the climate control reading from Celcius to Farenheit? The car is from Canada
The following users liked this post:
CindyZ (12-14-23)
Old 10-28-18, 07:44 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhabeck1
Can you change the climate control reading from Celcius to Farenheit? The car is from Canada
I don't see changing anything from Celsius to Fahrenheit shown as a customizable feature in the 2017 RX350 owners manual for Canada: http://s3.amazonaws.com/lexus.site.t...U/OM0E022U.pdf

Old 10-28-18, 08:19 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

My 2017 RX350 was made in Canada and it's in Fahrenheit so I see no reason it can't be set either way.
Old 10-29-18, 10:38 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhabeck1
The dealer can do it, or DYI using a OBD2 dongle like Carista.

I see it in the settings.

Last edited by PeeVee; 10-29-18 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 07:11 PM
browe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee

Tell me more about this. So using Carista you are saying you can change from C to F?
Old 06-09-19, 09:32 PM
Kimtucky
Driver School Candidate

did you ever find the answer to this question?
Old 11-16-22, 04:35 AM
teomcdohl
4th Gear

Originally Posted by PeeVee

No, this isn't possible in a 4th generation RX350. I downloaded Carista and I have an ODBII sensor and there is no setting to do this.

I know this because my Lexus was made in Canada and I'm looking for a way to switch it to Fahrenheit. Lexus dealership straight up told me no - they've been asked, they don't know how to do it, but it's not a programmable feature.

I've been scouring the internet trying to see what part hardcodes the temperature settings in the Lexus - I'd consider going to a junk yard and replacing said part but I'm not going to throw the almighty parts cannon at it until I find the right part (that would be expensive)

So far I've found nothing, but I'm going to keep on looking. I figured I'd respond to this and bump it since this thread is one of the more popular ones I find when looking this information up. For the record, this is beyond stupid by Lexus - especially considering there are other models in the lineup that you CAN change from C to F. Furthermore changing the odometer and speedometer from KPH to MPH is possible. I don't understand the logic at all - maybe someone got a kickback by making a specific part. Who knows. I do know that the temperature shows up in the HUD, dashboard, and the climate control so those three things are pulling that data... I'm assuming (could be wrong) that whatever is hard setting it must be shared between those three systems. I might go after a shop manual and start poking, or start browsing a parts catalog and see what the difference is between Canadian and American parts...

Lastly, I'm not trying to be mean spirited or anything in regards to your post; since your information is incorrect I'm hopeful that this will spur discussion so that myself and others who have this problem can correct it. ****, maybe there are some Canadians who bought American RX350s who want to trade parts?
The following users liked this post:
CindyZ (01-04-24)
Old 11-16-22, 05:12 AM
PaulBenez
Driver School Candidate

I also have a Canada 2015 Lexus RX350 F-Sport. The instrument cluster was replaced to convert from KMH to MPH, this also made the HUD (heads up display) to read in MPH.

The only item that is not in F is the climate control and the outside temp. My research shows me that the “Body ECU” is what will correct this, i have not yet done the swap, since the Body ECU is specific to the options on your Lexus, in addition, i am not sure what side effects i may encounter.

It would be great to know if anyone has done the swap and was successful
Old 11-16-22, 05:34 AM
teomcdohl
4th Gear

Paul,
Interesting - I have a 2019 F-Sport and my digital gauge display can switch between kilometers and miles.

I found a body ECU on eBay -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19545833419...c3f4%7Ciid%3A1

Not 100% sure this is the part, also not 100% sure this is American or Canadian... I guess looking it up via the VIN would work for that - I would think that there would be a part number for the Canadian (C/KPH) and a different one for the American (F/MPH) part?

For $440 I can deal with my temperature in C, I'd also love to see someone who actually managed to accomplish what we're trying to do. Through all my searching, I haven't seen one successful attempt...
Old 11-16-22, 05:58 AM
PaulBenez
Driver School Candidate

I looked up my VIN on lexuspartsnow.com i have 2 options (see screenshot) I would need to order the non-Canada ECU. I found one on eBay also. Just not sure if i am willing to take the risk. Not sure what it may effect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-RX350-...edirect=mobile

Old 11-16-22, 09:57 PM
teomcdohl
4th Gear

OK, so you actually did homework on this and I'm pretty sure you found the parts, based on the "CANADA SPEC" listed.

The question of the day is what options does your car have - based on the VIN it should show up correctly BUT I wouldn't go based on that... I'd need someone at Lexus to hold my hand to pull the trigger on that. Not cheap parts, plus I'd imagine it's tucked in somewhere absolutely horrible to get at.

Doing it yourself would be neat - paying the dealership to do it, I could easily see labor doubling the cost of the job. I'm just speculating, in no way shape or form do I know where the ECU is located nor do I know the procedure for disassembly.

Besides that, you'd want Lexus to flash the ECU with the latest firmware as you don't know what's coming on the one from the shelves or from eBay. Not sure if the VIN is hard-coded into it or what problems you'll run into, a 2015 car with modern technology... not sure if you can just plug it in and go (probably) but not sure if you're going to experience any issues...

Glad you posted your findings here. We just need to find someone willing to spend that money and try it out and let us know... hahaha
Old 11-17-22, 05:03 AM
PaulBenez
Driver School Candidate

Good Morning, agree with everything you wrote. Part or me says it may be worth buying a used ECU off eBay and risk the $100-$200 cost, the install I am comfortable with because i have a 20 yr back aground in auto repair.

What I am not ok with, is what else do i have to do, such as…will this effect the windows, doors, alarm, remote entry, key fobs etc.

Lexus dealer would never do the install due to liability. Lexus Corporate wont share the information either. (Same reason)

I did a VIN check, with my 2015 Canada Spec, and also did a VIN check with another 2015 USA spec used car I found on auto trader.

Wish I had a donor vehicle and unlimited funds, to swap parts until i found the 100% correct part.

Old 11-17-22, 08:21 AM
teomcdohl
4th Gear

Originally Posted by PaulBenez
Good Morning, agree with everything you wrote. Part or me says it may be worth buying a used ECU off eBay and risk the $100-$200 cost, the install I am comfortable with because i have a 20 yr back aground in auto repair.

What I am not ok with, is what else do i have to do, such as…will this effect the windows, doors, alarm, remote entry, key fobs etc.

Lexus dealer would never do the install due to liability. Lexus Corporate wont share the information either. (Same reason)

I did a VIN check, with my 2015 Canada Spec, and also did a VIN check with another 2015 USA spec used car I found on auto trader.

Wish I had a donor vehicle and unlimited funds, to swap parts until i found the 100% correct part.

you're 100% right Lexus wouldn’t touch that computer if you brought it to them and said make it work

however computers do fail - if one does, what is the procedure for flashing the unit and ensuring all systems work correctly?

I think this is the missing piece of the puzzle; this is exasperated due to security and the software that’s used / you need to use their software and tools to set it up right.

the short answer, to me is, yes - it will work. Problems? Of course. I bet one will come up, the question is will Lexus work with you to fix it… if it’s an OEM part from Lexus, why wouldn’t they do the programming for you as long as you confirmed the part is new, unused, and ready to configure? Taking apart a car isn’t that hard (putting it back together correctly is the challenge) so if you came to them with the car torn apart, swapped in the ecu- would they turn you away?

food for thought. I’m going to take my ‘19 in for bushing issue in the rear; last time I was there the guy was nice enough. I’ll pick his brain to understand the process a bit more.

im glad you posted, I’m greatly enjoying this conversation with you - you seem to “get it”
Old 11-17-22, 09:21 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

It is strange that Toyota has the option and Lexus does not.
Old 11-17-22, 07:28 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by teomcdohl
OK, so you actually did homework on this and I'm pretty sure you found the parts, based on the "CANADA SPEC" listed.

The question of the day is what options does your car have - based on the VIN it should show up correctly BUT I wouldn't go based on that... I'd need someone at Lexus to hold my hand to pull the trigger on that. Not cheap parts, plus I'd imagine it's tucked in somewhere absolutely horrible to get at.

Doing it yourself would be neat - paying the dealership to do it, I could easily see labor doubling the cost of the job. I'm just speculating, in no way shape or form do I know where the ECU is located nor do I know the procedure for disassembly.

Besides that, you'd want Lexus to flash the ECU with the latest firmware as you don't know what's coming on the one from the shelves or from eBay. Not sure if the VIN is hard-coded into it or what problems you'll run into, a 2015 car with modern technology... not sure if you can just plug it in and go (probably) but not sure if you're going to experience any issues...

Glad you posted your findings here. We just need to find someone willing to spend that money and try it out and let us know... hahaha
The F and C settings are in the body control module as you have found out. There is no programming, just swap it with the US spec one and you're done. I worked on a 2007 LS460 and it was the same situation.

Quick Reply: Change the climate control from Celsius to Fahrenheit?